Havalon Gut Hook Blade

Bmcox86

WKR
I got a pack for Christmas and have only tried them on a rabbit and it worked pretty good. They are more robust than the standard havalon blade

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mine works far better than a standard gut hook this year on my elk because it's much sharper.

TJ

WKR
Any idea on how it would compare to the Zip or Swing blade? I like the idea of this.

I bought a couple but haven't had a chance to use them. More sturdy than the scapel blades. I bought them after season so haven't used them.

My one concern is that I like to switch between a gut hook and regular blade. I use it to open skin from the inside in areas other than the gut. Switching havalon blades is a pain in the ass, dangerous without pliers and the blades can break. If you only had a single blade holder then going from gut hook to blade multiple times is really not practical.

I will try them out next year but I think the move would be to have a havalon holder dedicated to the gut hook and another for the regular blade.

OP
S
Thanks for the feedback guys. I might take one of my guthooks and grind it down to make it more of a Zip blade shape.

jeffpg

WKR
I did a lot of killin' in multiple states this past season and along with also helping friends with their kills, I probably cleaned well over 2 dozen deer.

I use 2 Havalon Piranta knives, one with the standard blades and one with the gut hook so that I don't have to change back and forth. I don't need the guthook much but when I do it's very handy to have.

My opinion is that as mentioned above, it works somewhat better than your normal gut hook due to the sharpness of it. I treat it with the care that these delicate type blades require, and I have had no trouble with it.

I have no experience with the other gut hooks mentioned. I will continue to pack along my Havalons.

Gumbo

WKR
I just don't see the need for a gut hook. Sure it might be a little faster, but if you can get the same job done with the same blade what is the point? I think changing blades would eat up much of any savings in time anyway. Just my unsolicited $0.02.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll do a little video of my kill kit. I carry 3 knives. Maybe overkill but all serve a purpose and it works great for me.

Havalon, regular blade.
Gerber roundnose replaceable skinning blade knife
Gerber skinning blade knife with Stanley shingle blades.

The shingle blades work great as a gut hook. I also ring all of the quarters and do a lot of skinning with it.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
5dfb785401c586c576d4324ee8e291bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk