Havalon Baracuta ?

Shrek

WKR
I tried the Havalon Piranta last year and it just didn't work well for me. I broke blades left and right. I was looking at their sight and saw the Baracuta with a longer and heavier blade that would fit my style of cleaning better. My question is how much more durable is it than the piranta ? Does anyone here have any experience with the Baracuta with the skinning and boning blade ?

colonel00

WKR
Have you thought about or tried the newer blades on the Piranta? I believe it is the 60A blades that are supposed to be thicker than the original Piranta blades. This is pure speculation but I would guess that if you had issues with the Piranta blades, the longer blades of the Baracuta would only cause more problems as you would be getting more torque on longer blades.

Shrek, I'm looking at the Baracuta Blaze as well. Have a 115 blade here on my coffee table that I found stuck in a tree at a wilderness campsite this last season. It's more than 2x as thick as the Piranta blades & 2x as long as well. Had me scratch'n my head so I brought it home with me to research. Came back as a Blaze blade. I like it. I'm going to buy two and dull the tip on one to use as a zipper knife.
Hunt'nFish

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Since I have a Piranta already I will see about some skinning blades for it and maybe pickup a Baracuta to go along with it. Best of both worlds. A heavier blade for deboning and a dedicated capeing blade.

My thoughts exactly. The ounce counters will object, but I'll nix something else.

What they should do is offer a zipper blade for the Blaze.... take the fillet blade and sharpen opposite edge. Front edge dull, tip rounded & dull, back edge sharp.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
Since I have a Piranta already I will see about some skinning blades for it and maybe pickup a Baracuta to go along with it. Best of both worlds. A heavier blade for deboning and a dedicated capeing blade.

I have a Piranta but didn't try it last season. The moose I killed was truck accessible & I had 3 different knives folks had given me for gifts I wanted to use so I could tell them I had before they go in the drawer :)D) so the Piranta didn't get a workout.
BUT I also picked up a Baracuta this winter to take with me. The mechanism on the Piranta worries me a bit (a mechanical point that could fail) so I want two knives 7 the Baracuta for big stuff 7 Piranta for small stuff makes sense. I want to figure out how to use one sheath for both to save an ounce.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
i have both been using them for 3+ years & if i had to chose 1 it would be the barracuda,i only use my piranta for caping & skinning.last year i deboned 2 moose with it,used one blade per moose & that was removing hide too,have yet to break one of the blades & have deboned allot of critters with it.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
The Bolt and Torch with the thicker 60A blades is great!! The first elk I deboned with the Piranta broke 8 of the 10 blades I brought with me... I'm sure it was me but obviously we weren't compatible. I gave up on the idea until I got the Torch for a birthday gift and 6 elk later I have yet to break a blade... I also do Euro mounts and skin out 30-40 heads a year and have yet to break a blade doing that with the Torch either. Not sure about the Barracuda but the Torch and/or Bolt are legit!

BTW- The thicker blades will NOT fit the original Piranta

The Bolt and Torch with the thicker 60A blades is great!! The first elk I deboned with the Piranta broke 8 of the 10 blades I brought with me... I'm sure it was me but obviously we weren't compatible. I gave up on the idea until I got the Torch for a birthday gift and 6 elk later I have yet to break a blade... I also do Euro mounts and skin out 30-40 heads a year and have yet to break a blade doing that with the Torch either. Not sure about the Barracuda but the Torch and/or Bolt are legit!

BTW- The thicker blades will NOT fit the original Piranta

I also got the Bolt with the 60A blades and love it! I've only deboned deer with it thus far. Never tried the Piranta but I wasn't excited about it as I'd heard about guys breaking blades.