Haul road tent options

Kjones

FNG
We are flying out in roughly two weeks for our first Haul road adventure. I’m wondering what style of tent would be my best option? I’m debating between my floor less tipi style or traditional single man tent. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

BowMan86

FNG
Depends on if you are hiking out 5 miles to rifle hunt or staying on the road and bow hunting.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
One that can handle high winds.

I personally like floorless, right off the road most places to camp are gravel pads. The tundra would be like try to pitch a floored shelter over bowling balls.

BowMan86

FNG
If you will be operating primarily off the road you can take just about anything. As previously stated, just about anywhere you will find a gravel pad. If you plan on sleeping at the road every night, no need to limit yourself to a one man tent unless you are tight on space. Just make sure you bring one that can withstand heavy winds at times and potentially some snow.

I typically bring a large heated tent that o can use as a base camp at the road and a smaller tent to spike out. Typically the ground out on the tundra is pretty wet and very uneven. There are few places out there you will find flat solid ground.