Hating my Kenetreks...

Gman

WKR
The boots just may be too stiff for your feet / gait. I learned this the hard way. I was caught up in what worked for others and the generally popular boots. Found I just needed a less aggressive sole I.e. less stiff. You can still find boots in that style but kennentreks, Lowa, and hanwag are all pretty stiff. I found that style of sole drove my heel into the back of the boot causing blisters and other problems. Settled on a pair of meindl island pros which have a slightly more flexible sole than the others. Second choice would have been the Lowas. The heat created in your boot is also probably not helping as it makes the foot damp, tender, and prone to blistering and tearing.

OP
HellsCanyon
Well it didn't take long to sell my Kenetreks... a guy on another forum picked them up for $200 +SH which I think is AWESOME!

Starting a new thread here soon about two different models of Asolos... Thanks for the help ya'll :)

Mike

JDC

FNG
suggestion on the lacing of the boots... look on Backpacker.com to give you some ideas on how to lock in different sections of your boots to keep from slipping.. I thought it was a joke until I tried a few different lacing techniques and it cured a couple of problems I had.

Told my son that when he quit growing, I'd buy him a new pair of top quality boots, so a couple months ago, we got him some Kenetreks. He's been wearing them the last two weeks during wheat harvest, and so far, sounds like he's loving them. Says they're very comfortable, and has had no blisters. Big sigh of relief on my part, looking forward to hunting season.

Everyone's feet are different and a great boot for me could be really bad for the next guy. With that said I have worn Kenetreks for the last five years and will have them on again this year. Best boots I have ever purchased!

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of the insulted mountain extremes earlier this summer and wore them for the first time last weekend scouting for desert sheep. With no break in I climbed 5000' vertical on some nasty hills. No blisters and only one hot spot on my big toe on a steep down hill portion of the trip. I was a little worried about them after reading this thread but after using them I know that they will work great for me. The leather did seem to get more scuffed up than my Assolo Sasslongs though.

I am on my second pair Hardscrabble's. Both sets to about 25 to 30 miles to break in. Both times feet became hamburger. But once they are broke in, fit and feel like butter. Or my feet have no nerve endings left. :)

DWarcher

WKR
Everyone's feet are different and a great boot for me could be really bad for the next guy.

So true Robert!

I just picked up a pair of Hardscrabbles this year and have put a bunch of miles on 'em with no blisters and no hot spots to speak of; super comfortable. Last summer I picked up a pair of Salewa Mid GTXs for light hiking, which are supposed to be incredibly comfortable (hence their 'no blisters guarantee') and they absolutely chewed the heck out of my heels. You've got to find what works best with your feet...