Has anyone gone from sliders back to fixed?

Wapiti1

WKR
I went from a single pin HHA back to 3 pin and am working with a 5 pin MBG this year. I set up for 30/40/50 on the 3 pin. The reason was a couple of misses when I had uncooperative animals that didn't stay at the ranged yardage. I am more accurate if I have the pin gaps for reference.

Jeremy

Yes. I don’t have time to be jacking with a sight during the heat of battle….

I gave sliders up for good.

Usi05

WKR
I started with a SH grinder 5 pin, went single and hated it so went to an MBG 3 pin slider. Didn’t mind it but then went to fast Eddie double pin and have liked it. Now tinkering with ides of going back to 5 pin grinder

NGK808

FNG
I always hated the sight picture of multiple fixed pins, so shot single pins and double for a long time. However, this was before my first hunt.

After experiencing a spot and stalk Axis deer hunt, and all the things you need to think about in addition to dialing in the right yardage, I went to a fixed pin for my hunting bow. Gives me one less thing to think about so I can focus on more important things. I also switched to a wrist strap release.

Now my one pin and handheld releases are only for my target bow.

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I never planned on practicing past my furthest fixed pin distance, I wouldn't switch from a slider. Slider sights are so solid these days, moving parts is hardly a consideration for me. Shooting long distance with a slider sight is too fun and improves my shooting better than anything else.

If you don't like moving it when your hunting, get a slider that has the same amount of pins as you would on a fixed pin sight and don't move it while hunting. Still as simple as can be, but the best of both worlds. In my opinion the only "negative" of a slider is having a slightly heavier sight. I think they are better than fixed in basically every other way.
Pretty much this. I use a 3 pin Fast Eddie. My three pins are 20-30-40 and 40 is my slider. For hunting I have never used the slider, but it lets me practice out to 85 and keep up on the field course at the club. Best of both worlds.

BigSky

WKR
Unless I never planned on practicing past my furthest fixed pin distance, I wouldn't switch from a slider. Slider sights are so solid these days, moving parts is hardly a consideration for me. Shooting long distance with a slider sight is too fun and improves my shooting better than anything else.

If you don't like moving it when your hunting, get a slider that has the same amount of pins as you would on a fixed pin sight and don't move it while hunting. Still as simple as can be, but the best of both worlds. In my opinion the only "negative" of a slider is having a slightly heavier sight. I think they are better than fixed in basically every other way.
As I was reading through this thread, IdahoHntr typed exactly what I was thinking. The advent of the multi-pin slider pretty much eliminated any of the concerns people originally had about sliders. You can use the sight as a fixed or as a slider and never be concerned with the other method. However, that other method is there if you want it.
I started archery in about 1975. I've always been a "late adopter" for archery stuff. Even though I knew (in my opinion) releases to be better than fingers for a compound bow shooter, I didn't start using one until about 2008. Even though I knew (in my opinion) carbon arrows were better than aluminum, I didn't switch until about 2011. I finally switched to a single pin slider in 2015. I loved the advantages; but, I was always concerned about having it set at one distance as I walked through the woods and then coming across something at a different distance. The problem never arose such that it caused a problem. I was considering switching back to fixed pins as I could have pins at every 10 yard increment I needed. Then, I heard about multi-pin sliders. I switched and felt it answered any and all concerns I may have.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I only used a slider for a brief period, so I wouldn't really say I converted back to fixed pins.

What I realized about my 3 pins, is that I can set and shoot a lot quicker than my hunting partners. Our target shooting was aimed at being close to hunting situations. We would randomly pick a spot to shoot from, range, and shoot. While they were fiddling with their slider, I could usually have a shot off.

I set my three pins to 20, 40, 60, or 20,30,40 and just gap them for yardages between. Certainly not as accurate as a perfectly positioned slider, but not too much worse. I definitely would chose speed over precise accuracy when hunting.

Trial153

WKR
I have, however only on my primary whitetail bow set up, I go four pins, 20-30-40-50. All my other rigs have two or three pin sliders

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my MBG Mountain Lite, I was all in on the dual indicator slider technology but in reality I never slide or shoot past 40. A revenge head that’s fixed with the micro adjustable pins would have been a way better option for me.

Sundy

FNG
I ran a horizontal 5 pin for a long time - about 5 years ago I went to a single pin slider. Great for 3D and tree stand hunting - not great in the backcountry.

This year I went back to a 4 pin (horizontal mounts) on my slider sight. I should've done this years ago. I'm set for 30/40/50/60 fixed, with indicators on the top pin and bottom pin to the tape, so I can get two measured shots after moving the pins around.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I always shot fixed 5 pin. Last year I switched to a 3 pin Black Gold slider set at 25, 40, 50. I like it but after this season I'm gonna go to a 5 pin slider. Shouldn't really need to dick around with the slider while hunting but can stretch it out for practice.

RAPTOR

WKR
Whitetail bow has a 5 pin fixed. Other bow has a 4 pin slider for longer practice or out west.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think I’ll ever go back. I used a 7 deadly pin for about 10 years then went to a MBG 4 pin slider and now I’m using the Fast Eddie XL double pin and it took about a week to adjust to the new sight picture but after that I am super happy and feel like I’m way more relaxed not counting pins or trying to gap shoot for odd yardages. When I’m out hunting I set the pins at 30 and 45 for the second pin which will cover any quick shots but generally I feel like I’ll have time to dial. Overall I am more comfortable and more accurate with this sight.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot everything from 3 pin fixed, to 5 pin fixed to single pin. I struggled with single pin and trying to range/ dial/shoot. So I went to spot hogg double pin. Shot that for about 5 yrs. Tried to go back to a five pin for tinkering. Couldn’t readjust to sight picture. Back to double pin. With top pin set at 25, my second aiming point is good at 40. I am familiar enough now I can comfortably shoot to 50 without having to move or dial anything. Seems like the spot I’m going to stay for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Single set at 30 for western hunting and 20 yards for midwest whitetail.

I practice with it set at 30 at distances from 10 to 50 yards, as long as I can aim on an animal I do not worry if I can not get it adjusted I just compensate.

TheHammer

WKR
All depends on the individual and the pursuit at hand, imo. I’ve had a handful of sights. The way I have my bow setup took a lot of time. I now run a hha single pin. I also do not adjust my slider.. I have spent a lot of time ranging things so I can typically be within a yard or two inside of 125. I figured out where my arrows plain off (point before they start coming back down) while shooting typical 3d courses, then I started shooting through a chrono at these distances. I came up with 44yds being the point where my arrow starts to slow and both drop. So setting my sight at 44 yds I set up paper between me and my known 44 yd target. 33yds is the point where the arrow was at its highest point between the bow and 44yds. I set my sight at 33yds. My findings have led me to believe I have a plus or minus 2” window out to 44 yds. I have spent a lot of time with my bow and am pretty lights out to 60yds without touching the sight, leaving it on 33yds. I have not missed since going this route. I believe it has removed any room for human error and saves me a bunch of time when needing to draw.

Lytro

WKR
I went back to a fixed 5 pin after winning a Viper Venom XL dovetail in a random social media giveaway a couple years ago. I prefer it over a single pin slider, but my next setup will likely have a 4 or 5 pin slider on it. My only reasoning for that would be to make spot and stalk pronghorn and potential follow up shots easier.