Has anyone ever tried Tenkara Fly Fishing in the Backcountry?

aggieland

WKR
I'm headed to Arkansas in two weeks for a little pack in camping and getting my legs in shape for hunting season and while i'm there I plan to do a little fly fishing. Just wondered if anyone ever tried this method and if so what a good cheap rod to buy.. Thanks

Sawtooth

FNG
I've been tenkara fly fishing here in the Colorado Rockies for about two years now, after using a western fly rod for way over 20 years. I no longer have any desire to use western fly fishing tackle. Tenkara fits hand-in-glove with backpacking in the backcountry. They are tailor made for each other. If you can find a used 11' or 12' Tenkara USA Iwana rod, you'll have a winner. A good rod to start out with. Heck, compared to good quality western fly rods, the tenkara rods are reasonable even if you buy a new one. Check out the Tenkara USA forums to see if there are any used ones available.

You might also check out my blog, Tenkara Tracks. I have links to several good resources for tenkara fly fishing.

http://tenkaratracks.blogspot.com/

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there are any cheap nockoffs just so I could try it out. But I have learned to just suck it up and buy what works the best instead of wasting money on junk. Thanks for the info.

When I am backpacking I use my Tenkara rod exclusively. Not only is it lighter but I am able to deploy it much quicker. If I am hiking and find a patch of water I want to fish it only takes a minute to pull the rod out and be on the water. Also, it really works well for the small water in NM because I don’t have to mend line as much and can drop the fly into small pockets. Here is a picture of a brown trout that I caught last October. A nice fish for a stream that was no more than 12” wide.

Attachments

• Fall Brown.jpg
    Fall Brown.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Can you guys tell me what Tenkara pole to buy and what line/leader you perfer? I see Sawtooth likes the Iwana rod what about line etc. I'm new to trout fishing.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Well I ordered me a Tenkara Iwana rod and the line, tippet etc. I have never used any of this gear before and would love any info on how it all ties together.. Going to youtube to find some answers now..

Sawtooth

FNG
Sorry aggieland, just now catching up here. The Iwana is a great choice. I have one and I like it. As for lines, there are some things to consider. I recommend you read through some of what Chris Stewart over at Tenkara Bum has written about lines. That being said, I have become somewhat a convert to level lines. It's frequently windy in the canyons I fish, and they perform better in the wind that a furled line. I like the hi-vis orange level lines that Chris sells on his website. You will probably want either a #3 or #4 level line for your Iwana. You really don't use a leader, per se, with tenkara. Just a line and tippet. I use Trout Hunter nylon 5.5X. Good stuff.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks for the info fellas. I had to cancel my trip to Arkansas where we planned to pack in and do our first real trout fishing camp. But maybe in the weeks to come we will make it back..