Has anyone been shot at while hunting?

Strosfann

FNG
Had it happen to my cousin and I on the ND deer opener many years ago. We were in a draw just below the line of sight of a pair of hunters. They took a combined 8 or 9 shots at a buck running towards us in a stubble field. It was an exciting few seconds as the bullets landed around us.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I've not been shot at on purpose, but I've had ricochets go past me from a neighbor who who likes to mag dump at a too small berm

Today I was out hunting West of Benson AZ, just north of Mescal in Unit 33 for mule deer. I was hunting in AZ State Trust Land, East of Mescal Road by mile marker 3, to provide some context for those that know the area.
As an aside, that whole area surrounding the Rincon mountains is just beautiful.

OP
kthomas

kthomas

FNG
As an aside, that whole area surrounding the Rincon mountains is just beautiful.

It is really nice! I could do without all the whitethorn acacia's though, I must've walked through acres and acres of the stuff on Monday.

Arizona in general is such a beautiful state. I love the geographical diversity, I've really appreciated it since moving here a few years ago.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been shot at but I did prosecute a guy for shooting another hunter. The guy who was shot, took a .30-06 slug through the hips as he sat on a white bucket in the middle of a picked cornfield - wearing hunter orange. The shooter was only about 160 yards away and said he thought the other guy was a deer. That excuse just didn't seem possible and we tried to find a motive for murder. Shooter had a clean record and no history of mental illness . . . but we made sure he didn't hunt again. The injured hunter survived.

Once , early season archery full foliage was in a tree stand guys where shooting shotguns . It was grouse opener . I think they were just jerking around. Pellets blowing through the trees. 2nd incident freaks me out to this day when I think about it . My son and I were in a bog area pulling some late season muzzleloader ladderstands. Some guy with what sounded like an ar starts ripping shots off and you could hear a bullets whirling right above us . We hit the dirt . I will never forget that sound . I yelled over that we were over there . The shooting stopped and I heard a 4 wheeler start up and take off . One of the neighbors that lives near there I called a couple days later to see if they were out shooting. He said no , but the lady next store has an alcoholic 40 year old son that likes to shoot . I don't think it was intentional? ???

t_carlson

WKR
Had a few whip overhead while antelope hunting. Idiots taking 800 yard shots from the road both times.

TxxAgg

WKR
I haven't been shot at but a hunting buddy less than a half mile from me was shot at from the neighboring ranch while searching a wheat field for a downed deer. Three shots into the field and one hit him. He called me knowing I was nearby, and I picked him up and called 911 headed for the highway frontage. They airlifted him to the nearest hospital. He survived and is 100%. No charges were ever filed...small town BS. The neighboring rancher was the half brother of our ranch owner and they didn't see eye to eye haha.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If being shot in the side of the head with #6 bird shot counts, then yes, no only shot at but shot. I had a dozen #6 shot pellets removed from my skull. I'm just happy it wasn't my eyes.

Jauwater

WKR
I was hiking within the Grayson Highlands State Park in late January. The park was closed due to the weather, but you could still go to the backpackers lot, and hike. It was really cold, alot of snow on the ground, and wind was basically unbearable. Because of the wind I decided to turn back, and head to the car. About a half mile from the backpackers parking lot I hear a gun shot at my 5 o'clock. Then another, and this one I hear whiz by me. Then maybe 4 more shots just one after another. At this time Im basically starting to run, and dump behind a tree. I wasn't carrying. I tried to get a look in the direction it was coming, but I seen nothing. When exiting the park, just before the gate is a little office, and just happen to have an employee that wasn't there when I entered the park. I reported it to them, and I know they sent a park officer up there, but I dunno if they ever found anything out.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I haven't been shot at while big game hunting, but I have been hit with bird shot a few times. I'm not talking about getting rained on, but hit from a couple hundred yards away with a more lateral trajectory. Never penetrated the skin.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I don’t believe Iv ever been shot at deliberately but I have had rounds come too close for comfort and had to hit the deck.

All of this has been in WI mostly because the dumb ass neighbors don’t practice common sense firearms safety.

I’ll go out of my way to make myself know as not an animal during times in places that I see could cause a problem.

Go to the rifle range and look at what’s headed to the woods. Blows my mind every day.

I had the sheriff come over last night. Someone put an errant round through the neighbors window yesterday evening while I was out pheasant hunting. Based on what they initially thought (that it came from our place) I'm guessing my house was not far out of the line of fire either!

Hopefully they figure out what happened but seems unlikely :(

Lawnboi

WKR
I had the sheriff come over last night. Someone put an errant round through the neighbors window yesterday evening while I was out pheasant hunting. Based on what they initially thought (that it came from our place) I'm guessing my house was not far out of the line of fire either!

Hopefully they figure out what happened but seems unlikely :(

People are idiots that’s the problem.

Another story, not hunting but back when I was a teenager I was push mowing my parents lawn. On a pass I look over at a tree and there is an arrow Sticking in it with a broadheads that wasn’t there a second ago.

We knew exactly where it came from but there was nothing we could do about it.

Go to any range in WI right now and can likely see people getting flagged within a minute.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Not me but my uncle, couple years ago on the michigan firearms opener he was walking back to the small parking lot where he had parked. As he came around a bush and would have been in plain view, a asian lady jumped outta of a mini van and fired off a round of buckshot that hit the tree right in front of him, he yelled out and ran around the bush as fast as he could to see her throwing the shotgun back into her van and peeling out.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the 90s I received permission to hunt antelope on a ranchers land. They charged money to hunt mule deer, but I was young and they didn’t care about antelope. A few days later I decided to sit at a waterhole and see if I could get one. As I am sitting there I hear a bunch of rifle shots not far behind me. I was thinking wtf is going on, and figured no antelope would be coming in. I decided to head back to my vehicle. I find the rancher, his son and the sons gf sitting on a hill. I walk over them to see what’s up. The rancher says oh it’s just you. We thought someone was deer hunting down there in the draw, so we decided to start shooting down there and scare them out. Then the rancher says just ignore that note on your vehicle. When I got yo my vehicle there was a note that said. It costs $400 to hunt deer on this land. I remember having a sick feeling in my stomach and was glad I hadn’t shot an antelope that may have ran that direction before they started shooting.