Hardcore Treestander?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Has anyone else packed in a treestand more that 4 miles or am I the only dumb one? I like to hunt hard for a few days then take a treestand day. But I don't like crowds so I pack mine in a bit.:)

Swede

WKR
I have never packed one that far, but I would. I will even pack your stand in if you will pack out my elk. lol

I hope you have a lone wolf with a set of sticks... that would be a heavy pack. I wouldn't be against treestanding for elk as I come from treestand hunting here in the Midwest. But spot and stalk and on the ground with a bow is much more of a rush than hoping that elk walks by your ambush site.... :)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ohhiitznik, you would be surprised at how jacked you get when a bull is screaming down the ridge towards your stand!

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Also the bowshop here in town now sells a stand that is around 13lbs for a climber ... It looks like a good stand! Not sure who its made by but the model is-- X-stand

Maxhunter

WKR
I've packed a stand in a least that far. I did it when I was scouting. I use a Gorilla Scout and screw in tree steps. Taken quite a few elk from my stand. IMO it's worth it especially the early season.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I know where two stands are bout 6 miles back in.

Now that they are there I don't think they are ever coming out.

And for all you forest service fans.....no they are not on or in the tree right now.

Gorilla stand 2.5 miles back over water. On Rest day like Maxhunter , as it difficult to glass any distance in this particular area - 2 Mule Deer Doe, 3 Bear, 14 Turkeys,1 Shiras Moose and one 5x5 Bull that knew which 6' tall tree to stand behind...almost a rest day made in Heaven

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My hunting buddy walked me on a little gametrail around a crag face this past season, point out to a pine, and said, "What do you think of that?"

There was a small tree stand chained to a little tree, and the tree had grown around ithe base of the stand and the chain. We were at least 8 miles by air from the nearest trailhead, and 1 mile from the nearest trail. That was one dedicated treestander. I may have to just borrow it for a while one of these days.

I have and will probably do so again. We have taken quite a few elk (in my camp) from treestands all about 6-7 miles into the wilderness. Personally I haven't had a shot out of one yet.

Actually, walking a stand into a productive area and then caching it there for future use does make a lot of sense. Just don't leave it up in a tree, squirrel it away somewhere hidden and then move it to where you want it each day.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, walking a stand into a productive area and then caching it there for future use does make a lot of sense. Just don't leave it up in a tree, squirrel it away somewhere hidden and then move it to where you want it each day.

Larry, Just don't count on the seat or any bit of cloth or padding to be there the following year. ;)

Larry, Just don't count on the seat or any bit of cloth or padding to be there the following year. ;)

Well, I WOULD put it in a protective case/cover of some sort. Have I told you the story of the raccoon that ate through the plastic coating on the power conduit at the substation near my house...to say the least the meat was very well done! :cool:

cnelk

WKR
I shot 2 elk from the same tree stand last fall - 1 archery, 1 rifle
I didnt have to pack the stand in a very long ways tho.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
1.5 miles to mine. I use my game cart to haul it in and out. The stand weight isn't bad but all those steps, whew!

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
One of my coues deer stands is 6.3 miles down the trail on a little seep, you arent the only crazy one. Daniel

ktowncamo

WKR
That was one dedicated treestander. I may have to just borrow it for a while one of these days.
My bull from two years ago (my only bull) was taken from a treestand that has been on the mountain for more than a few years and I nor my buddies have any idea who put it there. I've never seen anyone in it aside from myself, and I've only used it 3-4 times. Got lucky the second time I was in it and a nice 6x6 walked to 10 yards.

That said, if I were in someone's stand and they walked up, I'd have no problem climbing down and finding another place to hunt for the day. I hope I'd be as cool/calm if I walked up to my stands to find someone checking out the views as well.

2rocky

WKR
Having never hunted from a tree stand, I can't imagine why someone would want to cheat themselves out of being on eye level with such a majestic and adrenaline inducing animal?