Hard Shell Options

Needing input and opinions on durable hard shells for stopping wind and rain. Bonus points if it doesn't have insulation and I can wear it as a rain jacket year round. I have an OR Foray II now that I'm using but I am curious for a comparison between the jackets listed below. Also bonus points if it's not camo, trying to stay away from dark/bright colors so preferably earth tones otherwise I'd get a snow shell. Not concerned about weight.

KUIU Yukon
Kuiu Kutana Storm Shell
SG M5 and/or M7
Pnuma Selkirk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
M7 is a taped softshell with membrane. Fleece lined, pretty specific use case. I wouldn’t use it outside of below freezing weather for the most part, so safe to scratch that one. M5 would be the ticket if using SG for your purpose.

I’d add the Beta AR shell, it is awesome.

I’ve used the Yukon and it’s nice. I don’t think it is an all around shell, it’s a much heavier duty piece. No experience with the others.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Selkirk is a lined softshell as well and to warm for a rain jacket. Not sure I would bust to much brush with it either.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The M7 will be too hot if you’re looking for year round rain gear. The M5 would be perfect for that. I have the Kutana jacket and pant and love them. They are super durable and have kept me dry in some really bad storms. The only negative thing I can say is they aren’t the most packable rain gear compared to some others, but durability is more important to me.

OP
DaleGribble
The M7 will be too hot if you’re looking for year round rain gear. The M5 would be perfect for that. I have the Kutana jacket and pant and love them. They are super durable and have kept me dry in some really bad storms. The only negative thing I can say is they aren’t the most packable rain gear compared to some others, but durability is more important to me.
Would you say the Kutana is more durable than the M5?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say the Kutana is more durable than the M5?
I don’t have the M5 so I can’t comment on it, but the M7 is extremely durable. With that being said, I have spent a lot more time in the Kutana gear than I have the M7. I do have other SG gear though and have been really impressed with all of it.

Drenalin

WKR
I think you could spend a lot of money here and end up not being in any better shape than you are with the Foray. But I’ve rarely heard anything bad about the Yukon line, for whatever that’s worth.

magsinchi

FNG
The Arc'teryx LEAF line has a good selection of muted colors for their shells. Check out the Alpha LT and Alpha.

Can’t go wrong with Arcteryx (your choice) and can find them in most outdoor stores to try one. Downside is, that they are pricey for top of the line bomb proof. But good company for
Warranty work (if you ever experience a prob in workmanship). And can wear every day because normal colors (black/brown/etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think you could spend a lot of money here and end up not being in any better shape than you are with the Foray. But I’ve rarely heard anything bad about the Yukon line, for whatever that’s worth.
I had the Yukon a few years ago and sold it looking for the “newest best thing”. I ended up back at the Yukon. I think it’s a great shell setup, shouldn’t have gotten rid of it but glad to be back in it.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I wrote on another thread about my experience.

I have tried the yukon (jacket only) I was not impressed as I soaked all the way to my armpits. Not sure if it had to do with rubber cuff.

I bought the m5's a few years ago. My experience has been very good, it's held up well and breathes really good to. My father did get a cut in his pants from sharps rocks when sheep hunting, so I will add that in there. But personally its been all good for me.

OP
DaleGribble
So I purchased the M5 jacket and it is perfect. I was very tempted to get the Yukon but the simplification and minimalist approach of the M5 won me over. It is thicker and appears to be more durable than the Outdoor Research and the zipper is much better. The only way to make the jacket better would be using GoreTex but time will tell how well the SG membrane holds up.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
Not a popular opinion, but I'm a fan of Fjallraven's environmental take on water proofing.

I live near a river that is severely polluted from PFAS, which a byproduct of both teflon and goretex. These 'forever' chemicals are carcinogenic and nearly impossible to remove, especially from public drinking water. I'm fortunate enough to be on a well, but many friends cannot drink their tap water.

That said, I do own gortex, but I refuse to buy new and limit it as much as possible, especially after recently learning about gortex's waste streams.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Not a popular opinion, but I'm a fan of Fjallraven's environmental take on water proofing.

I live near a river that is severely polluted from PFAS, which a byproduct of both teflon and goretex. These 'forever' chemicals are carcinogenic and nearly impossible to remove, especially from public drinking water. I'm fortunate enough to be on a well, but many friends cannot drink their tap water.

That said, I do own gortex, but I refuse to buy new and limit it as much as possible, especially after recently learning about gortex's waste streams.
I have been interested in the Fjallraven products also. Have you used them, and do they work for rain?

Thanks

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I have been interested in the Fjallraven products also. Have you used them, and do they work for rain?

Thanks
I don't have one yet, I'm still rocking the tin cloth and wax. But their advertisements say they're 80-90% as effective as the high end gortex.