Hanwag boots shrinking???

young7.3

WKR
Anyone else experience the boots shrinking after a season of use? Especially in the toe box, like curling in on the top of your toes? Ive had 2 sets do this. They warranted the first set. My dad had it happen too. Makra trek boot and combi gtx.

Im looking for a similar fitting boot that will hold up a few seasons in the same weight range. I have an all leather set of lowas and they are heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
So Im the only one experiencing this?

No issues in Yukons or Ancash but I have a pair of chill kats (discontinued) that did it. They are rough out suede with full rand though

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I have had leather mountain boots shrink in the toe box if they are set to close to a heat source, like under stove in a wall tent. I never did that again. I think the leather is susceptible to shrinkage whenever exposed to heat, and it doesn't need to be very hot.

My foot grew from a size 12 D to a 13 EE over the course of a year at 29 years of age. Might be your foot.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
My foot always grew from 13-14. Hasnt grown any more.

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
Can anyone recommend a boot that fits as well as hanwag? Similar weight and support?

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have Hanwags but my Mammuts shrunk in the toe box as well. Kinda frustrating.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have Hanwags but my Mammuts shrunk in the toe box as well. Kinda frustrating.
Which Mammuts? My Taiss Light Mid GTX is probably my favorite boot I've had so far. I got Hanwags to get a higher waterproof level since my high volume foot stopped the tongue from sealing water out, and so my toes don't crash on descents.

to OP, I'm with the other guys, that it sounds like wet boots got hot, though i'd think that if that were the case, they'd refuse warranty.

The Taiss Light's I mentioned are absolutely bomber, love them. https://www.mammut.com/us/en/products/3010-00900-3733/taiss-light-mid-gtx-men

They're stiff, and mine at 12.5 are 718g. My Lowa Tibets had more shank flex once broken in, but probably weighed 50% more.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might try some of these in your boot while not wearing them
8d82729975893a27b1b3916b3ddcea41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
young7.3

young7.3

WKR
To everyone saying the boots got hot and shrunk, I was meticulous that they weren't put near a fire or in a hot car, yet they still shrunk. It seems that once the boots get really wet, they shrink even if you just let them dry in the sun.

wyodan

WKR
To everyone saying the boots got hot and shrunk, I was meticulous that they weren't put near a fire or in a hot car, yet they still shrunk. It seems that once the boots get really wet, they shrink even if you just let them dry in the sun.
It has happened with every set of boots I've ever owned. For me, it is repeated getting wet and dry of the boots, the toe box will shrink. I get about 2 seasons out of them. Lowa fits similar, but Hanwag fits me better. You might have better results than me if you are more diligent about conditioning the leather.

I have had the same thing happen with 3 pair of Makra Combi. So frustrating because the boot fits me the best. I am at the point to just buy them on sale and buy a new pair every year. I just tried Zamberalan Baltro Lite and although amazing boots and were very comfortable; I was between sizes. The 9.5 had to much room and the 9's were to tight. I have a narrow foot, high arch and low volume forefoot and the Hanwag Makra's just fit me better. It is so frustrating that a $370 boot will shrink after 10 - 12 months of use though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This will happen to leather boots that aren’t kept hydrated.

Condition them often, especially after getting them substantially wet.

Putting them near a heat source will exacerbate the problem.

Had the same thing happen to Makra Treks. Do you have the redesigned version? I have the original, but they redesigned the makra trek because of this issue. Brought the rubber rand up higher to prevent this. I thought about getting the redesined version because I like the boot otherwise. But then again, I dont have issues and have never had a blister with the Crispi Thor.

Original on top, updated version on bottom

Attachments

• 265B29BC-4884-48CF-A633-C697C9ACCA97.jpeg
    265B29BC-4884-48CF-A633-C697C9ACCA97.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 32

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
My all synthetic trango towers did the same thing. When I bought them new I would wear a thick mountaineering sock now I have to wear the thinnest sock I can tolerate. I thought maybe my foot has grown but it is still 28cm. They were constantly wet in AK. Realunlucky is right i wish I had used one of those

pcros27

FNG
No first-hand experience, but this is 'relatively' common issue in the first version of those boots according to the reviews.

cbuck516

FNG
My first pair of Hanwag Makra ended up not fitting a year later. Did the boot shrink or did my foot grow? I don't have data to support either case, but I think it is likely that my foot grew. I had to upsize from a 10.5 to an 11.5 in the Makra and now those 11.5 fit great. I have a pair of the Hanwag Alaska as well in 11.5 and they fit great. The makra is such an insanely stiff boot I have a hard time believing it is actually shrinking. I have never once had them near a heat source.

Happened to my combi as well. So badly that I couldn’t even get them on anymore.
I didn’t think about warrantying, that was a good idea.
I just bought the new version of the trex hopefully it doesn’t happen again. like everyone said, the hanwags fit great!
Anyone else experience the boots shrinking after a season of use? Especially in the toe box, like curling in on the top of your toes? Ive had 2 sets do this. They warranted the first set. My dad had it happen too. Makra trek boot and combi gtx.

Im looking for a similar fitting boot that will hold up a few seasons in the same weight range. I have an all leather set of lowas and they are heavy!