Hanwag Ancash GTX

OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
I did look over the description from the link the NWhiker shared, and did a little more research. It looks to be the same boot as the Alaskans, but by the description, seems to made a little stiffer. It seems like it is a newer model, but for the price on STP with a coupon it comes to under $150, might be worth a shot. However, that new Lathrop and Sons Lowa boot looks inviting as well. Decisions are tough.:confused:

OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Rip, you have to signup for their email list to get most of them, but every so often they post a 40% off coupon on their facebook page.

Just for signing up on their Deal Flyer (email list) you get a 30% off coupon. But like I said they have discounts probably 2 times a week of varying discounts.

Here is a link to the deal flyer page:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dealflyer/

OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
And most of the time it is not technically a coupon code, but more of a thing where you just have to click on the link in the email to get taken to the website with the deal already loaded in.

blackah02

FNG
I was able to get some of the size 11.5UK on order a few days ago before they were gone. Hoping they are as good as or better than the Alaska's, but if I don't like them, I will post them for sale here if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, definitely let us know what you think. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them as well and will report once I get some miles on them. Seems like they are going to be great, but only testing will tell the real truth.

blackah02

FNG
Ok, just got these in the mail and tried them on. First impressions are that they are the most comfortable boot I have tried on out of the box next to my Lowa Tibets. Very plush and not as stiff as the Alaska GTX or a Lowa Tibet. More of a trekking boot. For size reference, if you wear a size 12 in a Lowa, you will want a 11.5UK in the Hanwag even though Hanwag has that converted to a 12.5US. They run 1/2 size small. They are keepers.

Last edited:
OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
That is great to hear. I am really looking forward to getting my pair, they should be here tomorrow and I will report what my initial thoughts are as well. Ultimately I hope to take them out this weekend into the hills and get an idea of how they will work for hunting.

OP
U

Upper90

Lil-Rokslider
Got the boots and have to say that initially they are looking pretty good. Not quite as stiff other boots I have used, but still plenty stiff. The sole flexes a tiny, tiny bit under the balls of my feet. They have a comfortable collar around my leg and overall feel and look pretty good. But until they are in the mountains, I won't know anything for sure. I will update with field usage.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I Picked Up A Pair Of These To Try. First Test Fit Seem Promising. Nice And Stiff, But Not Extreme - About Like The Lowa Baffin's I Tried.. Heel Cup Seems Pretty Tight, So I'm Happy About That.

ARod2000

FNG
I ordered one of the last few available from STP. I also ordered a pair of Lowa Cevedales at the same time (STP version). Based on my online research I thought for sure I would like the Lowa's better. Wrong. They were returned to STP today. They are equally high quality boots, i just preferred the Hanwag Ancash more. I liked the leather on the inside of the ankle collar on the Hanwags vs fabric on the Lowa's. Also, and this surprised me, the Hanwag's had a softer mid sole and softer sole than the Cevedale's. The uppers are very nice high quality thick leather. I got these Thursday, it's now Monday and I have 15 miles on them. I live in Georgia so I'm not a mountaineer type that has vast experience with high quality boots. All of my time with these boots has been on Kennesaw Mountain and I'm very impressed with their rigidness and comfort.

I'm so impressed with the Hanwag brand I ordered another pair of Hanwag hiking boots today.

Now the hard part comes....waiting 9 months to use these puppies chasing Elk in Colorado. Can't wait.

Last edited: