hanging up the badge and gun after 36 years

@mtwarden

Thanks for your service to society and your service to my gear list via Rokslide & Bushcraft USA.

Fiancé is shooting for a 30 year law enforcement career as well...don't know how y'all deal with crazies day in & day out!

Sharpd53

FNG
Hanging up the badge and gun (well not the gun :D) after 36 years in law enforcement. I knew I wanted to be a game warden before I was even junior high I think. When I got out of high school I started (and what was going to be a long haul) college to get my Wildlife Biology degree. I'd work a half year (logging) and then go to school for a half year. After a couple of years of that I went to Plan B.

I joined the Air Force to help pay for school and went into their Security Police Law Enforcement. I entered the Air Force in Butte, Montana and was promptly stationed in Great Falls- oh well I didn't really want to see the rest of the world anyways! :D. After four years, with enough money to finish college I went back to school (University of Montana) with enough money to finish straight through. I was now married and with two children, my grade point average soared (amazing how studying vs partying impacts your GPA!) and graduated in 1988.

I was waiting for a hiring notice from Fish, Wildlife and Parks, but those came very infrequently. I took a job with the USFS as a Wilderness Ranger in the Great Bear and Bob Marshall- great job for me, not so great for my wife with two young children. There was finally a game warden hiring notice and and I applied. I think with my four years of law enforcement with the military and a season and a half as a Wilderness Ranger, helped me land the job.

Twenty four years as a game warden seemed to go by pretty quickly. I spent several years as a sergeant and then several more years as a captain before retiring. Worked with a bunch of great guys and put a hit on a lot of poachers over the years. Spent a lot of time on 4 wheelers, motorcycles, a variety of watercraft, horseback and on foot. Outside as much as possible.

HdgnylJ.jpg

1zD3nrW.jpg

vvGFEQ2.jpg

oXgOHHr.jpg

After retiring as a game warden, I was a little too young to fully retire, so took a contract job with the US Marshal's Service. Still wore a badge and gun, but traded my Wranglers for dress pants and a suit coat- who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

LTvX76W.jpg

After 8 years (the last two working just part time) it was time to draw my law enforcement career to an end. At the end of December, I pulled the pin for good and joined the ranks of the retired.

I have a very long bucket list and God willing, going to do my best to cross off as much as possible :)

It was a great ride!

KSRkZNy.jpg
Congrats on the retirement. Doin the same after 25, last 15 in under cover work. OVER IT. You have earned your retirement for sure. Great pics. Enjoy your time

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! Best of luck on your upcoming retirements; don't need to tell you it's probably a good time to be getting out of law enforcement.

Simon1523

FNG
Hanging up the badge and gun (well not the gun :D) after 36 years in law enforcement. I knew I wanted to be a game warden before I was even junior high I think. When I got out of high school I started (and what was going to be a long haul) college to get my Wildlife Biology degree. I'd work a half year (logging) and then go to school for a half year. After a couple of years of that I went to Plan B.

I joined the Air Force to help pay for school and went into their Security Police Law Enforcement. I entered the Air Force in Butte, Montana and was promptly stationed in Great Falls- oh well I didn't really want to see the rest of the world anyways! :D. After four years, with enough money to finish college I went back to school (University of Montana) with enough money to finish straight through. I was now married and with two children, my grade point average soared (amazing how studying vs partying impacts your GPA!) and graduated in 1988.

I was waiting for a hiring notice from Fish, Wildlife and Parks, but those came very infrequently. I took a job with the USFS as a Wilderness Ranger in the Great Bear and Bob Marshall- great job for me, not so great for my wife with two young children. There was finally a game warden hiring notice and and I applied. I think with my four years of law enforcement with the military and a season and a half as a Wilderness Ranger, helped me land the job.

Twenty four years as a game warden seemed to go by pretty quickly. I spent several years as a sergeant and then several more years as a captain before retiring. Worked with a bunch of great guys and put a hit on a lot of poachers over the years. Spent a lot of time on 4 wheelers, motorcycles, a variety of watercraft, horseback and on foot. Outside as much as possible.

HdgnylJ.jpg

1zD3nrW.jpg

vvGFEQ2.jpg

oXgOHHr.jpg

After retiring as a game warden, I was a little too young to fully retire, so took a contract job with the US Marshal's Service. Still wore a badge and gun, but traded my Wranglers for dress pants and a suit coat- who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

LTvX76W.jpg

After 8 years (the last two working just part time) it was time to draw my law enforcement career to an end. At the end of December, I pulled the pin for good and joined the ranks of the retired.

I have a very long bucket list and God willing, going to do my best to cross off as much as possible :)

It was a great ride!

KSRkZNy.jpg
Congratulations sir, thank you for your service in L.E

17 years in myself. Just trying to make it to 25 so I can explore my option. I’ll be 47, so I will find something else to do. Congratulations on your retirement!

Congrats on your retirement, you've definitely earned it!! I'll be 44 in May, and can retire at 49. 10 years ago I didn't think I would, now I'm leaning that way...I'll do something else but not law enforcement. As you said, it's a good time to go.

HdgnylJ.jpg

1zD3nrW.jpg

vvGFEQ2.jpg

oXgOHHr.jpg

LTvX76W.jpg

It was a great ride!

KSRkZNy.jpg
Awesome!