Handgun in checked bag TSA

Gypsysoul

FNG
Howdy. I will be flying in a few weeks, and will be flying with a handgun (revolver) for the first time. Of course, it will be in a hard case inside a checked bag. I am flying from Colorado to Florida departing from a regional airport connecting in Denver then on to Orlando.

(1) Will my checked bag (with the gun) be waiting for me at baggage claim in Orlando or will I have to claim it and redo the process in Denver? United says no. I have read forums with experience that say otherwise.

(2) Will I have to show any type of documentation (carrier, license, etc) at check-in or baggage claim?

(3) I have chosen the Hornady Dual-Lid Lock Box. Has anyone used this one? My revolver will be in the main case and the other empty (for use later once home). Ammo will be in original purchase box stored within the same checked bag. 5F024FB2-CB18-4DFE-B16F-3CEDB5096387.jpeg

Sometimes you will have to wander around near the baggage terminal. I’ve found my rifle case laying in the hallway by the oversized luggage (mostly car carriers) and I’ve had to go find it in a specific room near the baggage terminal before. Never had to show anything beyond my bag claim ticket before. I’ve never had any hassle.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry you have to fly to MCO. I will pay the extra to fly out of/into MLB.

Hopefully that case isn’t tsa lock type? I use a pelican pistol case that isn’t too big and I use master locks to lock. I keep the keys. Good news about flying with a handgun…your baggage never gets lost in my experience.

I declare the handgun at check in. Get sent to the tsa oversized area for inspection. I wait til they are done before I leave. Then I pick up. I’ve had it come down with normal luggage and I’ve had to pick up at the oversize area too. Just depends on the baggage size I think.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i just flew from spokane to san diego via Southwest Airlines. i had a locked case with two handguns in my duffel. They had me fill out a small form and taped it to the case. Told me to stick around for 10 minutes in case TSA needed me to open the case since i used regular locks. after 15 minutes SWA said go ahead to the gate. when i landed in SAN my duffel came off just like everything else. i'm pretty sure when i went with rifles my rifle case came out with all the other luggage too.

Thegman

WKR
I don't ever travel anywhere without a firearm, so I've gone through the process probably 30 times, at least. (Actually probably closer to 100 times thinking about it)

Declare the firearm to the agent. You will sign a firearm declaration tag and put one copy in your luggage and keep the other. Depending on the airport, you may or may not have to take your bag to TSA to check. More and more the bag just goes through, although that changes back and forth even at the same airport. I don't know why.

Be sure the handgun is in a locked case like you have. That will work fine.

I've gone to using a hard sided lockable suitcase (no zippers) which meets TSA gun case requirements. I break my rifle down and pack it with my other stuff so I don't have to hassle with a rifle case. That said, that can be a problem if you get an agent that can't comprehend your locked suitcase is also your rifle case. Only had that happen once with American. Never flew with them again.

Grumman

WKR
I have traveled with a handgun in a checked bag many times. While some of the airlines say they segregate your bag for pickup, it has always came down the baggage carousel with everyone else’s at the destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loper

WKR
I’ve flown in and out of Orlando airport (MCO) with firearms probably a dozen times. Your luggage with the firearm won’t come out on the baggage claim carousel with all the other luggage. There is a small room near the baggage claim that it will be in. There isn’t really big signage near the room that calls out what it is, but if you’ve been to other airports flying with firearms you’ll know what to look for and you shouldn’t have a hard time finding it. Surprisingly, I don’t think they’ve asked me for my ID every time.

One time my flight was delayed and we got in really late and the room wasn’t open as there wasn’t an attendant there to man the room. There was a young attendant who had to carry all the firearms out near the carousel and find who they belonged to.

MattB

WKR
Long guns in hard cases are treated differently than a checked bag with a handgun locked inside. Mine has always come out of the conveyor with all the other bags unlike gun/bow cases.