Half marathon training?

Anyone have any good endurance running tips or training advice? I have decided to step up my training. I am not in horrible shape but I have lots of work.

I started on Monday and ran 3 miles in 32 min
Yesterday I ran 3 miles in 29 min.

I took today off bc of work. Tomorrow I am planning on 4 miles and I have a 5k race on thanksgiving. I'm going to be adding crossfit in there as well starting in Dec

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Dont just do long runs. At least once a week add a day of high intensive wind sprints. It will help create endurance faster then just running further daily

Renoit24

FNG
You may check out the Spartan Race website and signup to receive their daily workouts. They have alot of "outdoor" oriented workouts such as Hill sprints, 3 mile weighted hikes followed by crossfit style exercises. I usually scroll through and save my favorites. Definitely noticed an improvement in stamina since I started doing these workouts.

When I was training for my half... I used the free apps available for iPhone and androids. They were awesome and the free ones were just as effective as the apps you have to pay for.

You can easily train for a 1/2 marathon by running three days a week. One day is a long run, which you will build up in time/distance over your training period. The second is a hill run/repeat workout, and will change to track intervals after a while. The third is a tempo or threshold run. Then you can cross train two or three days a week by biking, swimming, boot camp workout, etc.

Lots of programs out there, you'll have to find out what works for you. Some folks cannot handle high mileage training programs without nagging injuries. If I get over 50 miles a week I'll start to have stuff crop up. I'm much better at 30, and my race times are just as fast if not faster.

Good luck!

Do exactly what Jason says above, but wait till after 3-4 weeks of easy running and slow mileage/time increases to get your body used to the new work load -running. I'm 3 weeks into the base building phase of my marathon training, racing in early March. Good times!