“Gym” style mountain cardio training in the Covid era - looking for ideas

A low lander here getting tuned up for some late summer and fall hiking and hunting. I usually start adding some longer, lower intensity cardio sessions to my usual workouts (weights, crossfit, Hiits) this time of year. In the past, I had access to stair climbers and treadmills with incline capability. Covid restrictions are keeping me out of the gym so I am getting creative.

- hiking what “mountains“ I can. I can go from 400 ft up to 1000 ft on one trail That is close enough to hit weekly. “Laps” are boring but it is what I have to work with.
- I am adding ”interval” workouts where I do long, mid intensity stationary bike sessions mixed with box step ups or lunges every 5-10 minutes. Sessions are 30-60 minutes.
- adding in a lot of box steps, lunges and light, high rep squats (goblet, air, courtsey, pistol) to the regular sessions.

throw me some ideas on what else I can mix in with limited equipment. Thx

fatlander

WKR

Google videos of the 22’s, the Beartooth, and the Beast workouts.

That’s plenty to get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Find the steepest hill you have, do intervals of hill sprints. I have a really steep one that's about 45 seconds for me, and a couple a little less steep, but up to a minute, and then a minute and a half, I rotate.

Drive to the nearest football stadium once a week and do intervals on the stairs. I'm in Boston, so I have a real one with 37 sections of double height steps. When I'm cranking, I can finish in 25-28 minutes. When not so much it could take me 35+

Look up the Leg Blaster Workout - Mountain Tactical Institute. Big fan of this plus sandbag front squats thrown in.

Cody_W

WKR
Heavy pack hikes mixed in with hill running have been a staple in my household, after a couple of weeks hiking speed with 50lbs is the same as without the pack and a heart rate while walking at 4mph is ~70 with the pack. In terms of purely hunt prep, I’d say this is exactly what you’re looking for since weights aren’t much an option.

the pack based workouts from MtnTough are legit, but very pricey for thelength of plan IMO. Pressing and squatting your pack or doing burpees with it is always better than nothing.

Block

WKR
The high rep squats and lunges are prolly ur best bet aside from actual hiking... that and weighted stairs is what I try to do when I’m working out at sea for a month at a time...

Brendan

WKR
This is the workout I mentioned above.

If you haven't tried these, you owe it to yourself to try them once. Even if you're in shape and work out regularly. 5 sets of all 4 exercises (The full workout), separated by no more than a minute between each set. I can be done with 5 sets in 11-12 minutes.

Then, come back and tell us how your legs feel :LOL:

Find the steepest hill you have, do intervals of hill sprints. I have a really steep one that's about 45 seconds for me, and a couple a little less steep, but up to a minute, and then a minute and a half, I rotate.

Drive to the nearest football stadium once a week and do intervals on the stairs. I'm in Boston, so I have a real one with 37 sections of double height steps. When I'm cranking, I can finish in 25-28 minutes. When not so much it could take me 35+

Look up the Leg Blaster Workout - Mountain Tactical Institute. Big fan of this plus sandbag front squats thrown in.
I would second interval training to be great for building cardio vascular endurance as well as to shed some unwanted weight.

I came across this, I will be giving it a go on 1 September.

Attachments

• Backcountry-Hunting-Training-Plan.pdf
    449.6 KB · Views: 52
A low lander here getting tuned up for some late summer and fall hiking and hunting. I usually start adding some longer, lower intensity cardio sessions to my usual workouts (weights, crossfit, Hiits) this time of year. In the past, I had access to stair climbers and treadmills with incline capability. Covid restrictions are keeping me out of the gym so I am getting creative.

- hiking what “mountains“ I can. I can go from 400 ft up to 1000 ft on one trail That is close enough to hit weekly. “Laps” are boring but it is what I have to work with.
- I am adding ”interval” workouts where I do long, mid intensity stationary bike sessions mixed with box step ups or lunges every 5-10 minutes. Sessions are 30-60 minutes.
- adding in a lot of box steps, lunges and light, high rep squats (goblet, air, courtsey, pistol) to the regular sessions.

throw me some ideas on what else I can mix in with limited equipment. Thx

I live on the Jersey shore am 54, have 6 herniated discs, 3 knee surgeries and at 43 I had a widow maker heart attack just 7 months after winning the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan Ams. Did my first elk hunt last fall and had no issue with climbing up and down a 1000 ft vertical in less than 1/3 of a mile. Climbing up it I got my heart rate up to 196 bpm. The last time my heart rate was that high was the day I had my heart attack.

I hike with a 40-50 pound pack in the hilliest park near me between 2-4 miles before work 3-4x a week.

In the evening I would do a kettlebell workout for about 20-30 minutes and then 30 minutes of stretching/yoga after the kettlebells. I would also throw in a couple times a week step ups onto a folding chair with the pack on for 1/2 an hour.

We were able to go for 6-8 miles each day with no issue coming from sea level. When I got my heart rate above 180 I would stop about 10-15 minutes drink some water and when my rate was below 140 I would go again.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Running broken up by long stretches of walking lunges have my legs really strong this year.

grefdog

FNG
Mentioned previously but this is a great workout. Start with 10 minis the first day. Then replace a mini with a full.

I do this at the end of my leg workout and it's awful

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I just posted my experience with jump rope. It may be what you're looking for.

Termite

FNG
How about simulating altitude? Have you guys used the masks? I found this write up pretty dang worthy of reading. Its crazy what altitude does to our bodies.