GX 550 Overtrail by Lexus

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone picked one of these up yet? Should be a awesome vehicle with Lexus reliability and quality control. I have had the larger LX and the GX460 and liked them both. Did have the transmission go out at 100K on the LX which Lexus participated 50% in the repair, other than that , brake pads and oil changes.

Broomd

WKR
Wait.
We thought about the all new GX 550 for wife, passed on that impulse due to the endless new turbo V6 / I4 engine & trans issues and ultimately bought an RX 350 a few years old.

Huge Toyota and Lexus fans, but since you are sincerely asking --avoid the newer stuff until Toyota/Lexus gets it sorted. The new global turbo engine platform is a cluster fark right now. People want the V6 and V8 back, but It's all EPA-numbers-driven. That era is over.

They'll get the turbos tweaked, but in Toyota's case (Tundra) that is taking literally years.

In all honesty, the newer stuff is most likely fine.

Toyota has issued a recall involving the Tundra engines due to machining debris left inside the block causing spun bearings. Its not a turbo issue.

Are turbos another component to fail? Of course they're a component, and they fail. However, the spookiness about turbos is mostly misplaced. I work on diesels(and CNG now) for a living. Turbos are not the boogeyman, and a reputable maintained unit has no issue putting in 300k+.

People have no issue recommending GM(lifters, transmission issues) or Ford products(cam phasers, oil consumption, transmission issues) with known issues, but as soon as Toyota has a hiccup somehow they've turned into Kia?

The only thing to keep in mind with anything new is that maintenance is paramount. You're not gonna be able to buy a Toyota/Honda, neglect it and expect it to last. Use your brain when it comes to maintenance and intervals. Theres no such thing as a lifetime fluid. 10k oil change interval? Don't buy it, do it sooner. Don't forget your differentials and transfer case, either. The guy trying to sell you on those things at a dealership/shop might actually have your best interest in mind even if it means he's making money on it.

If you really want to be safe, learn to do it yourself. Fluid changes and tune ups aren't hard.

Broomd

WKR
In all honesty, the newer stuff is most likely fine.

Toyota has issued a recall involving the Tundra engines due to machining debris left inside the block causing spun bearings. Its not a turbo issue.

Are turbos another component to fail? Of course they're a component, and they fail. However, the spookiness about turbos is mostly misplaced. I work on diesels(and CNG now) for a living. Turbos are not the boogeyman, and a reputable maintained unit has no issue putting in 300k+.

People have no issue recommending GM(lifters, transmission issues) or Ford products(cam phasers, oil consumption, transmission issues) with known issues, but as soon as Toyota has a hiccup somehow they've turned into Kia?

The only thing to keep in mind with anything new is that maintenance is paramount. You're not gonna be able to buy a Toyota/Honda, neglect it and expect it to last. Use your brain when it comes to maintenance and intervals. Theres no such thing as a lifetime fluid. 10k oil change interval? Don't buy it, do it sooner. Don't forget your differentials and transfer case, either. The guy trying to sell you on those things at a dealership/shop might actually have your best interest in mind even if it means he's making money on it.

If you really want to be safe, learn to do it yourself. Fluid changes and tune ups aren't hard.
Nah, no dis meant here, but you're dreaming. Those days are gone as it relates to Toyota's truck offerings. That may change in time, but not for now.
Hey, I had a new one on order, it came in and I rejected it when everything was falling apart on the new '22s. Damn shame, but it was, and still is, reality with many of these new trucks.

jimh406

WKR
They don't need their own mechanic since they are reliable.

Fwiw, you can make a Toyota cost as much or more than a Lexus if you load it up. The same goes for Fords, GMs, etc.