Gut shot

Dbolick

FNG
Made a stupid mistake last night. The property I hunt in TN I didn’t have high hopes for seeing deer much less shooting one. A big doe came in and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 20 yards or so. I drew back and she was walking, I called to stop her and began pulling back my release, she only stopped for a quick second and began walking as soon as I had began to shoot. Ended up with an arrow through the guts. I saw her run off. Here’s where I screwed up, I began tracking within five minutes. I knew better but was just hoping I hit an artery and she died quickly. I was also hoping I could get a follow up shot. Blood trail was very minimal and I ended up searching the whole property. I’m sure she is long gone onto close by neighboring properties. I’ll go back out today after work and put in what she deserves but I’m very doubtful I’ll find her. The property I shot her on is covered in 6 foot grass so searching it is difficult. I’m sick over it, there was several things I wish I did differently. Primarily, pulling back and waiting 12 hours. Stupid mistake that I won’t make again. I can’t stand the thought of a slow painful death, I am comforted in the fact that nothing in nature goes to waste and this was a learning experience. Wish me luck finding her. I just needed to vent

Zdub02

WKR
Good luck. Been there done that - I feel your pain. Second calling a dog. They are worth it. I would ask neighbors permission to access their property to open up your search area

Lots of people will search with thermal drone for a couple of hundred bucks. Have to do today before body cools too much.

OP
Dbolick

Dbolick

FNG
Lots of people will search with thermal drone for a couple of hundred bucks. Have to do today before body cools too much.
My buddy has a photography business and I asked him, his drone has thermal imaging but he said in TN it’s illegal to track deer this way and he doesn’t want to risk his business which is totally understandable

OP
Dbolick

Dbolick

FNG
Good luck. Been there done that - I feel your pain. Second calling a dog. They are worth it. I would ask neighbors permission to access their property to open up your search area
I talked to a tracker earlier this morning. I’m planning on getting permission from surrounding properties when I get off work

Hunt long enough and it happens. My son had a similar situation last year. We found the doe the next morning in the creek. Figured she went toward the water after his shot.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Hate to hear it and hope you're able to find her. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't made those same mistakes before.

Rich M

WKR
Happens - they move a lot and rarely stand still - can duck an arrow at 20 yds easy.

Accept the loss, be prepared to shoot faster/better next time, and keep yer chin up.