Gunwerks Bipod Review

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Idk if screwing and unscrewing legs to adjust height is what most people want.
Personally the lack of adjustment and attachment method of the spartan does not interest me.
You don’t screw and unscrew legs. Short version goes in pocket or bino harness. Long legs strap to outside of pack. Can have either bipod ready for a shot in seconds.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well hatch does,i dont know the answer,thats for the smart guys to figure out and im sure someone will.
This is the best answer, for now. Not exactly light, but definitely not heavy. Certainly the most functional, but still needs better engineering to work out some glitches.

SDHNTR

WKR
You don’t screw and unscrew legs. Short version goes in pocket or bino harness. Long legs strap to outside of pack. Can have either bipod ready for a shot in seconds.
I’ve been through this too, with both sets of legs. Still sucks. Hatch is a better system and I sold all my Javelin stuff.

SDHNTR

WKR
I don't sit with my bipod. Anything higher than prone, and I switch to my tripod. I used to do it that way but not anymore.
You carry both into the field? Wow you must be a pack mule! I have a tripod too, but if I have to walk more than a few hundred yards from the vehicle, the tripod ain’t coming!

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to be able to shoot prone AND sit behind a tripod. The Hatch certainly does it. It just needs refinement. I can’t believe no body had stolen the idea and improved upon it yet. it doesn’t need much.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You carry both into the field? Wow you must be a pack mule! I have a tripod too, but if I have to walk more than a few hundred yards from the vehicle, the tripod ain’t coming!

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to be able to shoot prone AND sit behind a tripod. The Hatch certainly does it. It just needs refinement. I can’t believe no body had stolen the idea and improved upon it yet. it doesn’t need much.
Yes, I always have a tripod with me (not counting archery elk). If I'm walking only a few hundred yards, I will probably carry two tripods. One for glassing and my heavy one for shooting.

If I'm backpacking, I only carry one, and it's usually my Gitzo 1545T.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Back to the Gunwerks bipod.....

Will it solve every shooting scenario? No

Does it have a decent adjustment range at a fairly light weight? Yes

Is it going to be as robust as an Atlas bipod? No
Justin what's your thoughts on what this offers, versus the Spartans? There's certainly more adjustability it looks like, but the attachment looks like something you'd leave on the rifle during carry or is it quick to dock on/off? Do you find either system more robust/effective to actually shoot with?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin what's your thoughts on what this offers, versus the Spartans? There's certainly more adjustability it looks like, but the attachment looks like something you'd leave on the rifle during carry or is it quick to dock on/off? Do you find either system more robust/effective to actually shoot with?
Great question. The Spartan is lighter and isn't designed to stay on the rifle at all times. It also allows use of their tripods or the Davros head with the same connection point which is really nice when weight is a big concern.

The Gunwerks is designed to stay on the rifle but it attaches and detaches very quickly (a simple twist and it's locked on) so you could use it similar to the Spartan. I have been leaving it on the rifle since it's fairly light and is quicker to deploy since you just pull the legs down like on a Harris.

Stability goes to the Gunwerks depending on the height you have it set at. It does lose stability as you extend the legs fully but it's pretty solid otherwise. Not quite as stable as say the Atlas or Modular Evolution but both of those are heavier and offer less adjustability.

Basically, the Spartan system is lighter, incorporates a tripod option and doesn't stay on the rifle. The Gunwerks bipod weighs more, has more height adjustment, and is slightly faster to deploy.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How do the legs attach?
Sounds like you're carrying 2 separate bipods.
Correct. Two bipods that combined weigh under 13 ounces. Long version rides strapped to outside of pack, short version on gun on in bino harness. Can deploy either and be ready for a shot within seconds. Haven’t had a field shot yet where it didn’t work great. No time for a tripod most the time.