Gun Safe

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You need to get one of these:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...BgTbA4PX95xsLTtOwsTzb_XrKTr2ZvXcevBoCC_fw_wcB
They use magnets to stick to the door. I put one on my safe in the shop and I can get into it in dim light, or even the dark if I need to.

I bought one of those because my lock also has the silver with black and the light doesn't do squat for helping me see the lines or numbers. I have to take the bright LED flashlight with me every time I open the safe, and the lines and numbers are still hard to see. I might look into S&G and see if it's easy to switch out the dial.

But on the other hand, like everyone else is saying.........buy the biggest you can find. I have a pretty good sized one already, and I'm ready for another one. Still not big enough. I need my buddy's Fort Knox walk-in "vault".

boom

WKR
I bought one of those because my lock also has the silver with black and the light doesn't do squat for helping me see the lines or numbers. I have to take the bright LED flashlight with me every time I open the safe, and the lines and numbers are still hard to see. I might look into S&G and see if it's easy to switch out the dial.

But on the other hand, like everyone else is saying.........buy the biggest you can find. I have a pretty good sized one already, and I'm ready for another one. Still not big enough. I need my buddy's Fort Knox walk-in "vault".

Share your pain. I called my safe company and they said it was a real chore to swap. I just opened my safe. New glasses! Better.

My safe is getting crowded. But I have a huge one in Texas. Huge! Just need to hire movers.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I should note that I am using that light with one of the electronic key pad locks, and it works great for me.
I realize some people prefer the old school dial-tumbler style lock, and yeah, I could see how the light might not be bright enough for that application.

With that said, I've never had an issue with the electronic version. I am going on 4 years now with the same battery, and once it goes dead, swapping in a new one is super easy. I like how fast I am able to gain access to my safe compared to my friend with the same type of safe, except with a tumbler. Seconds could matter in an unfortunate situation.

tuffcity

WKR
If you're really budget minded keep an eye on gov't surplus sites. I picked up this 1950's era Mosler document safe from a local National Defense base for about $200. It was advertised as having no combo but the doors were open so I figured it would be easy enough to take just the door in to a locksmith to get it re-numbered. When I picked it up I found a sheet of paper inside that had the combo's for three safes, mine being one of them. Also found an envelop with "classified" documents in it... oh Navy. :) Turned out it was only code names for ships for a 60's era naval exercise.

The boys at the yard kindly fork lifted the doors off and hi-ab'ed the beast into my truck. Getting it off the truck at home was "entertaining". Getting close to finishing it, going to put a pocket system on the doors for side arms and other smaller items.

safe2_zpsa3a1da84.jpg

safe3_zpsbe74da60.jpg

RC

GKPrice

Banned
referring back to page 1 re: INSURANCE COVERAGE - I've found that insurance "terminology" can be somewhat universal while different companies view things differently - I had a friend a while back who had a significant loss the found out during the claim filing process that a rifle with scope attached was considered "a rifle" with no particular importance paid to how much the scope cost, unless specifically mentioned in the policy "a gun is a gun" - I considered using detachable mounts then quickly abandoned that idea - it would be a sad surprise to find that your scopes were not covered in the event of a major loss, be sure to ask that question when shopping insurance

boom

WKR
If you're really budget minded keep an eye on gov't surplus sites. I picked up this 1950's era Mosler document safe from a local National Defense base for about $200. It was advertised as having no combo but the doors were open so I figured it would be easy enough to take just the door in to a locksmith to get it re-numbered. When I picked it up I found a sheet of paper inside that had the combo's for three safes, mine being one of them. Also found an envelop with "classified" documents in it... oh Navy. :) Turned out it was only code names for ships for a 60's era naval exercise.

The boys at the yard kindly fork lifted the doors off and hi-ab'ed the beast into my truck. Getting it off the truck at home was "entertaining". Getting close to finishing it, going to put a pocket system on the doors for side arms and other smaller items.

safe2_zpsa3a1da84.jpg

safe3_zpsbe74da60.jpg

RC

Please explain the slide outs! Sick!

bobhunts

WKR
That is awesome with the drawers! Wished my bigger safe had a platform like that. I did buy rope LED lighting to string inside the the lip of the safe so I can see what I want but the LED lighting above will be another to add. Still have to put all of it together and get a pallet jack to move it where I want it in the Garage. Nice post! Bob.

boom

WKR
That is awesome with the drawers! Wished my bigger safe had a platform like that. I did buy rope LED lighting to string inside the the lip of the safe so I can see what I want but the LED lighting above will be another to add. Still have to put all of it together and get a pallet jack to move it where I want it in the Garage. Nice post! Bob.

I rolled mine to and fro with dowels cut from my garden rake handle. It was crazy easy. Taking it off the pallet was harrowing.

Sturdy safe had a video. Head slapping easy.

Climber

FNG
First you need to decide why you want a safe? If its just to keep the kiddies away then any low-cost model from TSC or big box store will be fine. If you want REAL fire and theft protection, then the cost will go up exponentially. Most of the safes out there are not designed to withstand any type of attack. Their locking system is easy to overcome and the sidewall can be defeated quickly with a sawzall.

I previously had a browning safe and decided I wanted something more robust so I did a ton of research and for the money, decided a Sturdy Safe was the best option. I am not disappointed and this thing is a beast. Unless you step up to a B or C rated safe (Graffunder, Brown or AMSEC), the Sturdy is hard to beat.

Lastly, try to place the safe in a corner and BOLT it down to the floor. Lots of good info at gunsafereviewsguy.com

boom

WKR
First you need to decide why you want a safe? If its just to keep the kiddies away then any low-cost model from TSC or big box store will be fine. If you want REAL fire and theft protection, then the cost will go up exponentially. Most of the safes out there are not designed to withstand any type of attack. Their locking system is easy to overcome and the sidewall can be defeated quickly with a sawzall.

I previously had a browning safe and decided I wanted something more robust so I did a ton of research and for the money, decided a Sturdy Safe was the best option. I am not disappointed and this thing is a beast. Unless you step up to a B or C rated safe (Graffunder, Brown or AMSEC), the Sturdy is hard to beat.

Lastly, try to place the safe in a corner and BOLT it down to the floor. Lots of good info at gunsafereviewsguy.com

Another Sturdy! Cool. Their website is fun. It's the guys daughter parading around:).

hp48gx

FNG
Anybody else have a zanotti and can comment on them? I am debating between the zanotti vs snapsafe titan….