Gun Safe

Doc

FNG
Looking into getting a gun safe and was wondering if anyone could provide some information on good brands and what details to look for.

Thanks,
Doc

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy it twice (maybe 3X) as big as you think you need. As to brand, depends on what you are looking for: fire rating, water proofness, etc. Weight and layout of the safe become a big issue for some. I have a Zanotti safe made here in Iowa. Cool part about them is portability as it is a take down and allows you to put the safe in places that are hard to get a safe otherwise. When we picked up the safes, the company was telling us that law enforcement officers (especially Federal agents) like them as they can move around and not have the neighbors see them hauling gun safes in and out of their residence. Just my 2 cents.

Call Tom: He is one of the most knowledgable guys with gun safes in the country. He helped start the custom program with Ft Knox and now has his is own line made in the USA. Tom focuses on giving you steel, not looks. If you want looks, he will guide you on how to buy a Ft Knox and add steel where you need it. If you think a cheaper safe will get it done, you tube it. Guys can get in a cheaper safe in a matter if 2 minutes by pealing the door back...

Here is what I learned. If you don't know what you are looking for, you will pay for a China made safe with little to no steel. The weight is a dead give away. For example, my safe is almost 1800 pounds when the same safe at Cabelas is about 1000 pounds.

I also agree ..buy 2x or 3x what you need. As soon as I got mine, I started filling it up with non hunting items. Documents, passports, cameras, binocs, etc...

I would also buy for the future, not what you might own today. Buy once and forget it.

http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/SAFESVAULTSCUSTOM_c_226.html

I bought a Ft Knox because my wife wanted it "pretty" but you can buy a lot of safe for less money if looks is not a consideration.

JG358

WKR
Like everyone else said, buy bigger than you think you need. Iron Man Safe Company makes a nice safe at a descent price.

B.S.

FNG
Lots of good safes out there, I'd say start off figuring out what size you need (I agree, go 2x the size you think you need), then find the balance of what features you want (level of security, fire protection, style, organization, etc) and price. I went with a Liberty Franklin series, felt it had a good balance of price, fire protection and secuirty and have been happy with it.

GKPrice

Banned
we are in the middle of tradeshow season and there will be safe dealers and companies at most of them with decent to great discounts and sales going on

IF you put your safe in the garage, basement or any unheated area be sure to install a "golden rod" (or another brand) and place the safe on an outside wall to minimize interior contents damage in the event of a fire

rbljack

WKR
we bought one for Christmas, and quickly ran out of real estate! Like others said, go at least twice as big as you think. Rifles and shotguns take up a lot of room, and you will quickly run out of room in a small safe.

OP
D

Doc

FNG
Thanks everyone for the info. I definately agree on bumping up the size. Currently my stuff is stored between 2 safes, parents and in-laws and can see how easily it would be to fill one up.

jlmoeller

FNG
In my opinion gun safes are to keep little hands off and to deter theft. Any safe can be broken into, but they keep most criminals as bay. Gun safes do a good job of reducing the heat the guns are exposed to during a fire but they do very little to keep the smoke off the guns. The toxic smoke is what ruins the finish. If you or a friend has guns that have been through a fire and have smoke damage, immediately strip and clean. Scrub with a solvent (diesel fuel is cheap and easy to get) and coat completely with oil. This may save the guns if done in time. I have refurbished 7 guns due to smoke damage. Most could have been saved if cared for soon enough.

Jason Moeller

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^
In response to the above post, Liberty Safe uses a Palusol seal on their doors. Basically a heat activated expanding seal aimed to keep out heat and smoke. I'm sure other manufacturers use something similar. Will it keep out ALL smoke? Probably not, but it is better than nothing at all like you would find on the lower end safe.
I've been happy with my Liberty Franklin 50. I keep other items besides guns in it as well, and could easily use more room. Get the biggest one you can afford!

Rick

FNG
Seems like an extra expense that having a safe would eliminate. I was paying an extra $85 per year on my homeowners insurance to cover $5000 worth of firearms. I didn't shop for better prices but was a little shocked at the 20% premium increase to cover firearms. For what it's worth it was the same premium increase to cover about the same amount of wife's jewelry.

boom

WKR
I bought a Sturdy Safe. They are located in my same state so I didn't get killed with shipping. The safe is great! It isn't all good looking. It's nasty gray and looks like a vintage regular safe. I didn't want to spend much towards cosmetics. And I wanted something that didn't rely on Sheetrock for fire protection. I should have gotten a black combo knob w white lettering. Mine is silver w black lettering. Much more difficult to see in dim light. I wear a headlamp to open it.

I think I could get into any safe. Easy. Mine is to stop crackheads and kids. And apparently my wife who cannot open it. Ever.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my personal and law enforcement advise. Buy bigger then you need and buy from a good company that will back their product. A friend of mine bought a Costco safe and when the door wouldnt open he paid out of pocket to have a locksmith spend hours cutting it open. Buy a safe that is heavy. Don't buy something that one or two guys cans easy handle. I have also been to several people's homes who had cheap safes and the suspects used the persons own tools to pry it open. Just my two cents.

PA 5-0

WKR
I've heard good things about Steelwater Gun Safes. You can get a lot of safe at a very good price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...v4&x-yt-cl=85114404&feature=player_detailpage

There's 4-5 more vids in this series.

These safes are real deal. I have two. When one arrived with a nice scratch in the side, they told the driver to put it right back on the truck and sent me a bigger one for the same price for the hassle. If ur a shotgun guy, make sure u buy a tall one.

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you live? That might be a factor as well.

I went with halls safe company. Super happy with my purchase and like others have said. Pick out the biggest safe they sell because they fill up fast.

bobhunts

WKR
Everyone that suggested bigger than you need now is spot on. I now have two. One in the basement and the larger one in the garage. Remember they are only fire resistant not fire proof. If you need pics of one of the highest quality safes made that my friends dad had when he lost his home in a forest fire I can show you how the fire rating is really not as described. Theft protection is another game in it's self. Even the cheapest vaults will deter your average thief.