Gun for Elk Hunting in Thick Timber

wyosam

WKR
Lower power on the bottom end helps, and selecting scope with large field of view. I love the VX6HD 2-12 for that type of hunting. Ive also killed a few elk over the years with a model 94 30-30. Never had issue with it being “not enough gun”, but not a great combo rifle if you might need to shoot longer. I carried for hunts where I was going into the timber and not coming out. Of course I also lived in the area where I hunted, so that could be just a day, or just a morning/evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just a little butthurt after all the money spent and time invested
emoji23.png
The success rate on elk in Colorado is in the single digits. It ain’t whitetail hunting. lol

Hell, I’d be happy I actually got into some elk if I were you. That’s better than the majority of hunters.

TaperPin

WKR
if you want to get serious about timber hunting, I think it’s great - the more you do it the better you’ll get!

Out at 400 yards few lever guns or red dots are up to it.

A lightweight 30-06 with 1-1/2x to 5x would be hard to beat. My timber rifle has usually been a 338, but we also have grizzly bears.

Shoot 10 rounds off hand and sitting each week for a year and you’ll be better prepared than 99% of timber hunters. Get fast at dropping into a sitting position for those quick 150+ yard shots. In the timber everything happens quickly and a mental shooting checklist that’s quick will mean the difference between elk and no elk sometimes. Get the idea of shooting prone, adjusting parallax, ranging the distance, and dialing elevation out of your head. Keep the scope caps off. To at least 250 to 300 yards, see elk - bang bang!

Focus on a rifle that’s easy to hand carry and keep it in your hands as much as possible. Compact 7x binoculars used without a case are ideal - being able to quickly bring them up one handed means they get used a lot. Forget fumbling with a big chest glove box and binoculars that have to be held with both hands.

Remember to go fast until into fresh sign, then go slower than seems natural. If all you see are elk asses way out of range, you’re going to fast.

There’s nothing more exciting than coming up a bench and smelling them before you see ‘em!

As others have said, a solid 3-9 ish or similar is going to take care of you in about every western hunting situation. SWFA 3-9 would be an excellent choice. Plenty of scope for shots out to 500+ if needed. If you’re going to do the still hunting timber thing, practice getting stable from standing & sitting field positions. Lean on a tree, sling wrap, ect. Lots of good YouTube videos on that. As others have stated, your gun doesn’t matter that much.

OP
E
Getting a lot of solid advice, just wish I could put it to use right now haha. How do you guys scratch the itch until next year? I might just try to get some small game in.

This old man I met a few years ago said more elk have been harvested with a 30-30 than any other weapon haha. Not sure how true it is but it is great round for thick timber in whitetail country. But as many have said, 100% shot placement before caliber size. I think pretty much like this. Get comfortable with whatever rifle you are going to use and make a good shot.