Gun cases for flying

Wish you could still find one. Cabelas used to have a double rifle case that was all metal with a big bar that locked in place. Two scoped rifles with 2 boxes of shells and 2 knives fit perfect.

I’ve had them so abused by baggage handlers that I had to bend one of the latches with vice grips to get it open and I’ve never had a POI shift.
I’m pretty sure this is the replacement but the old ones were only like $120. I have no experience with this new one. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-armor-xtreme-lite-double-long-gun-case

OP
S

Scotty82b

FNG
6eee2ab1155a012e60ddd389402236f7.jpg

this is what you are talking about. i remember these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6eee2ab1155a012e60ddd389402236f7.jpg

this is what you are talking about. i remember these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that’s it. My dad and I split it when I was 21 for an Missouri snow goose hunt for two shotguns. I’ve used it all over the country with rifles ever since. Might be best $60 I’ve ever spent.

bobotea

FNG
not really light weight but something to consider is like a pelican 1650 setup where you can store a broken down rifle + all your extra kit in one giant box that goes in checked luggage, then you can just have your daypack as carry on. i know the 1650 will hold an 11.5 SBR no problem but for a long gun its max OAL is 28", not sure if that helps you but a system like that is maybe food for thought.

I picked up one of the Apache wheeled cases that Harbor Freight sells, it seems to be good quality and quite a bit cheaper than a Pelican. I am flying with it next week for the first time and I’ll see how it holds up. I used a Plano without wheels for the last 10 years probably and it was great but i wanted something with wheels.

Pelican, Plano, Apache all seem to work. Don't have any myself but since friends with jeeps manhandle their respective cases and everything seems to be working out well aside from cosmetics.

Just be sure to get closed cell foam to keep moisture out, and some silicone packets to aid the case in drying out when in storage to prevent rust

FLATHEAD

WKR
Wish you could still find one. Cabelas used to have a double rifle case that was all metal with a big bar that locked in place. Two scoped rifles with 2 boxes of shells and 2 knives fit perfect.

I’ve had them so abused by baggage handlers that I had to bend one of the latches with vice grips to get it open and I’ve never had a POI shift.
This. I've had one for 16 years.
It has wheels and the flip out shelf at the bottom for holding luggage.

Loper

WKR
I’m pretty sure this is the replacement but the old ones were only like $120. I have no experience with this new one. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-armor-xtreme-lite-double-long-gun-case

This case from Cabelas is what I use. I’m pretty sure It’s made by Boyt. When I bought it 5 years ago I think it was only $120. It’s done well for me, but sometimes I wish it had wheels. When I flew last time, the TSA guy made a comment that he thought it wa the best built case for guns he’s seen.

One buddy have the Apache double gun case with wheels he got from Harbour Freigh, and the other has the Game Winner case from Academy. They appear to be the same case and both work out well for them.