Gun cases for flying

Scotty82b

FNG
What’s everyone using? are their lightweight ones? will be taking out foam to put in hun and clothes. any brands to stay away from? Model numbers and pics would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGTWI

WKR
I’ve had my eye on the SKB i series cases. They sell for about $150 on Amazon, which seems like a decent price for a sturdy rifle case.

woods89

WKR
I've used a Pelican Vault single rifle case a couple times. No complaints.
I don't do the clothes in the case, though. I like the security of that foam.

Montucky

WKR
I have a Pelican it’s perfect…..my budget conscious brother bought the RTIC case from the cooler builders & it worked extremely nice as well

Flyrodr

FNG
Agree on Pelican. Depending upon your rifle's length, you might find a "square" (rectangular) soft case that holds your rifle and fits inside the Pelican. I have the 1720, and an 18" barreled rifle fits in a soft case inside the Pelican. And one 21" barreled rifle barely squeezes in.

I'm not a big fan of the Pelican foam. It works OK, sorta, but can "shed" particles from the edges of cuts. If you go that way, try a serrated knife to "saw" out a pattern (which you can draw with a Sharpie. Lay out whatever you want to fit in the case, but make sure you leave the recommended space between items so sudden shocks (such as baggage handlers tossing the case around) don't allow them to knock together.

The Pelican specs show the 1720 has 42" interior length, and the 1750 has 50.5". Weights (empty; no foam) are just under 17 lbs and 24 lbs respectively. Both are wheeled.

LuvDog

FNG
I trust 3 different brands for rifle cases - Pelican, SKB and Boyt Harness.

Overall, I like the Boyt cases the best.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Pelican, but it normally stays at home unless it is a short trip and I am not worried about luggage weight. The Pelican just weighs too much for it's capacity.

Most of the time I use a Tuffpak when flying. It holds more than the Pelican, looks like a set of golf clubs, and there are no big flat sides for the baggage handlers to stack heavy thing on it. The Tuffpak is a bit more expensive but it is well worth it. My Tuffpak has been in use for many flights to Europe and Africa.

deadwolf

WKR
Pelican 1750 is the best I have found so far. I wish cabelas still made those aluminum wheeled double rifle cases though.

Best way to cut your foam is to use an electric carving knife.

da5d5e81e11bcd25201f3ef6d637184f.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Lots of prior threads on this topic - the search feature is helpful. Fwiw I have a SKB that can fit two rifles. It’s heavy but bomb proof.

I picked up one of the Apache wheeled cases that Harbor Freight sells, it seems to be good quality and quite a bit cheaper than a Pelican. I am flying with it next week for the first time and I’ll see how it holds up. I used a Plano without wheels for the last 10 years probably and it was great but i wanted something with wheels.

OP
S

Scotty82b

FNG
I picked up one of the Apache wheeled cases that Harbor Freight sells, it seems to be good quality and quite a bit cheaper than a Pelican. I am flying with it next week for the first time and I’ll see how it holds up. I used a Plano without wheels for the last 10 years probably and it was great but i wanted something with wheels.

keep me updated on that. that looks like a nice case at a nice price.

keep me updated on that. that looks like a nice case at a nice price.

I used the Harbor Freight case earlier this week to fly to TX for a turkey hunt and it worked great. It’s not as nice as a pelican but if you can get a deal on it I think it’s a great bargain. My only complaint is the foam inside sucks, I mean it works but it’s made up of little cubes that will fall apart super easy. So at some point I willl need to replace that

OP
S

Scotty82b

FNG
I used the Harbor Freight case earlier this week to fly to TX for a turkey hunt and it worked great. It’s not as nice as a pelican but if you can get a deal on it I think it’s a great bargain. My only complaint is the foam inside sucks, I mean it works but it’s made up of little cubes that will fall apart super easy. So at some point I willl need to replace that

awesome. thanks for the feedback

Wish you could still find one. Cabelas used to have a double rifle case that was all metal with a big bar that locked in place. Two scoped rifles with 2 boxes of shells and 2 knives fit perfect.

I’ve had them so abused by baggage handlers that I had to bend one of the latches with vice grips to get it open and I’ve never had a POI shift.