Guided Coyote Hunts?

Smid

WKR
Anyone done any guided coyote hunts? I’ve had a couple people in recent months saying they’d let someone to hunt coyotes in their land. With only ever doing a hog hunt, I’d like to go somewhere to get a feel on what to do/not to do. I’m sure a lot of you guys probably hunt your own land but if you live in the city like me and have a recommendation, any input appreciated. Thanks

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
We offer them on our place. RunningWaterHunting.com.

We include lodging and the field transportation/guiding from set to set. We're experienced coyote hunters and will have our own e-callers and hand calls. If you'd like some more info just shoot me a message.

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
I have a buddy that guides for coyotes in Utah. Not sure if you're near there but its jwestoutfitters.com his name is Luke.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
With a nuisance that they are it shouldn’t be too difficult to find something close. Location?

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
With a nuisance that they are it shouldn’t be too difficult to find something close. Location?

I’m in cincy Ohio, haven’t found anything super close. There’s a lot of public areas I could try, but I’d rather go with an experienced guide my first time

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I guide coyote hunts here in California. A couple different hunt styles to choose from.

Spot and Stalk (No calling)
Traditional “Stand” Calling
Run and Gun

You will see the most dogs doing a run and gun by far. We can cover 3,500 acres in the ATV in a single afternoon/evening. Shots are tricker and you end up with some really challenging long pokes with lots of elevation to deal with. Very good shooting practice and scope dialing verification.

My personal favorite is spot and stalk. We use the rolling hills and consistent winds to our advantage. Get to some high spots to glass and get after em. You will see the fewest dogs doing this style but it’s great training and a very fun hunting challenge.

Settling in and calling (stands) is highly effective. I only call twice a year on my property, when the spring and fall pups are 6 months old or so. That puts calling them in late August and late March. I’ll be setting up for some calling sessions in 3 weeks.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about coyote hunting I’d be glad to help out.

I guide coyote hunts here in California. A couple different hunt styles to choose from.

Spot and Stalk (No calling)
Traditional “Stand” Calling
Run and Gun

You will see the most dogs doing a run and gun by far. We can cover 3,500 acres in the ATV in a single afternoon/evening. Shots are tricker and you end up with some really challenging long pokes with lots of elevation to deal with. Very good shooting practice and scope dialing verification.

My personal favorite is spot and stalk. We use the rolling hills and consistent winds to our advantage. Get to some high spots to glass and get after em. You will see the fewest dogs doing this style but it’s great training and a very fun hunting challenge.

Settling in and calling (stands) is highly effective. I only call twice a year on my property, when the spring and fall pups are 6 months old or so. That puts calling them in late August and late March. I’ll be setting up for some calling sessions in 3 weeks.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about coyote hunting I’d be glad to help out.
Hi @mxgsfmdpx, I'm new to coyote hunting in Socal, and would really appreciate some help finding someone/ a group in the area that could show me some pointers. Struggling most with which areas are "legal" to hunt in, nighttime regs and such. Any help is much appreciated!

Wow didn’t really know they had guided hunts for coyotes.Thats awesome how much does something like this typically run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hi @mxgsfmdpx, I'm new to coyote hunting in Socal, and would really appreciate some help finding someone/ a group in the area that could show me some pointers. Struggling most with which areas are "legal" to hunt in, nighttime regs and such. Any help is much appreciated!
I wouldn’t be any help in southern cal. I could hook you up in Northern California or here in central Arizona where I live now.

Closest to you I know of is in the Dakota's or Nebraska, there's lots of em in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. I used to in Colorado and New Mexico but I'm out of that game.

TheGDog

WKR
Meh.. for SoCal?... You don't need to be guided to hunt coyotes. Just use your common sense when you're out and about within the public lands. Meaning... if you happen upon a place that you noticed had decent rabbits/Quail/Dove mulling about at first lite. Make mental note of it, and come back thru there with an eCaller (or hand calls) making sets on a subsequent trip. NOTE always bring hand calls as a backup! Sometimes when shoving eCaller into pack, if not careful you can have buttons/switches get pushed on remote or caller and arrive at your destination to a dead battery. ALWAYS have spare lithium batteries in the truck. If you've spent the money for a nice eCaller, don't risk putting alkalines into the remote and having them leak in there.

Some days will be/feel very unrewarding, when you don't have any idea where in an area they are likely to be, but you already made the drive, so you decide might as well do as many sets thru there as you can. AND just because you personally may have already spotted coyotes going thru a place, it doesn't mean they'll be there again on another day when you come BACK to that same area. But as long as the location has what they need, they won't go far.

However... if you find a spot that has access to some water, has good numbers of Rabbits and Quail and Dove, and offers decent cover that would allow them to come in most of the way undetected... that's a dang good place to setup at!

Key thing is, and I can't stress this enough, the relationship between where you choose to sit to overlook the area you've placed the caller at... AND... where you place that caller at within that FOV. Both of THOSE things... taking into consideration where the Sun is rt now, along with which direction the wind is blowing. Obviously you not being in their wind. And you want the sun in there eyes if you can help it. Makes it a bazillion times harder to see you scooched up into a shadow with your leafy and mesh gear on. The sun in their eyes constricting the pupils of their eyes.

And before you commit to choosing a spot as the next new location to begin calling from... make sure you first get your head down low to where it'd be when you're seated... and really look around your FOV and be honest with yourself as to whether or not you'd be able to see them.... or have a clear shot at them... from this sit location area. And adjust accordingly.

If where you're calling them in to... the terrain presents you with an FOV where you realistically won't see them until they're pretty much right on top of you and the caller... definitely consider bringing shotgun along as well (or in place of the rifle). Since we need lead-free in CA... Bismuth Duck/Geese Loads seemed to work great on my last outing, nothing more than several pinholes thru the hide! Nice and clean. It worked with authority at 25yds.

Remember... BEFORE you press play, or before you begin hand-calling... make sure everything else is setup the way you want it. You're comfortable, don't feel like you have to fidget anymore. The weapon is loaded, ones in the chamber. Scope is on lowest power. If needed you've cleared your throat already, etc. Because once you start calling if they just so happen to be close to your location and you don't know it... sometimes they end up coming in extremely shortly after you begin. And if you're not fully ready, you'll blow it!

Sometimes you'll get busted as you enter an area. The moment your sihlouette raises up out of somewhere as you're climbing over a finger or something. They'll bust into group barking. So when that happens, you're likely pretty much screwed for that day, at least in THAT area. Just make mental note of from where all the barking came from, so you'll know next time to re-arrange how you entered into that area to avoid detection.

Highly recommend getting a leafy jacket and leafy or mesh facemask as well as liners gloves to cover all the pink. Then when you take your sit... have yourself backed-up against a juniper or scrub oak or whatever other vegetation there is that can give you a shadow to sit in and a bonus to have some low brush in front of you to obscure your legs and pack from their view.

An Important thing to remember is they're hearing is phenomenal!!! Humans can hear up to about 20-22KHz frequencies, they hear up to 44KHz!!

You might be able to get away with some movement if you're wearing the leafy, they weren't directly looking your way, etc... but if they hear you??? a sound from your direction? They WILL go into threat detection mode and look up to see where it's coming from. With the leafy... you can often get away with just freezing and waiting and then they will eventually turn their attention back toward all the commotion going on with the eCaller.

Try first without a motion decoy. Stuffing the eCaller kinda into a bush or tree and get it off the ground so the sound projects out better. Call INTO the wind. And YOU setup your sit somewhere looking crossways thru the wind overlooking the eCaller's position.

Constantly be scanning your FOV with just your eyes moving only at first, then if you feel it's necessary SLOWLY turn your head to look further in a particular direction. Remember, they are predators just like you so their eyes are great at catching motion just like us.