Ground meat gone bad = haul out the spices

So I try to be careful and not waste food, especially wild game, but sometimes things happen. I put 3# of ground venison in the fridge to thaw last Thursday to make some nachos for the supper bowl. I got sick on Friday and ended up spending 4 days feeling sorry for myself on the couch. When I went to look at that ground venison today, it was not rotten but it was starting to go a little "off".

Now I know nothing is gonna save rotten meat, but when something is starting to getting a past its "sell by" date, I turn on the spices. Chili, taco seasonings, curries are all in my repertoire for times that I need to cover a little bit of "off" taste. One of my favorites is a cuban ground beef recipe called Picadillo. There are a lot of variations but the ones I like are less of a stew and more of simmered stir fry, although I use a crock pot sometimes. I love the versions with tomatoes, raisins, olives and lots of awesome spices. served over over rice or a carb of your choice (or not) it is a hearty meal and a great way to enjoy ground meat.

So what is your go to recipe with some meat is starting to get past its prime?

Last edited:
I'd just make sure it cooked to well done, for safety.
Some salt, pepper, bullion, onion, garlic, and about 40 minutes in a pressure cooker ought a do it.
Add whatever after that for a pulled pork type sandwich.

z987k

WKR
I'd just make sure it cooked to well done, for safety.
Some salt, pepper, bullion, onion, garlic, and about 40 minutes in a pressure cooker ought a do it.
Add whatever after that for a pulled pork type sandwich.
That's all well and good, but food poisoning isn't caused by live bacteria. It's cause by the toxic byproducts of their metabolism. Most of which are heat stable. You absolutely can get wicked sick from crazy well done meat. You'll know if this has happened in just hours.

Food borne illness from bacteria getting a foothold in our body is a different thing but related and the incubation period is days to weeks. Cooking food does prevent this, and thank goodness because while the former lasts a day or two this can last a long time and require antibiotics.

Point is, cooking spoiled meat does not ensure safety. People do die to food poisoning, though they're generally not healthy to begin with. Keep those liquids going. Anyone that's ever had either can tell you it's one of the least fun things they've ever done.

I tend to err on the safe side. If I accidentally leave something in the fridge a few days too long and see that it's spoiling, it gets cooked well done and goes to the dog. Protein doesn't get wasted, and he has a lot tougher stomach for dealing with bacteria than my kids do. I try not to ever pull meat out until a day or two before I'm going to use it. Now freezer burned burger is another story. I just scrape off the outer layer and go hard with the spices. I like to do carnitas in the instant pot, with lots of fresh pineapple and jalapenos.

Pro953

WKR
Frozen to thawed in the fridge for 4-5 days should not be spoiled or "rotten".
I've "aged" elk and venison steaks or loins in the fridge for a week+ without issues but they never came to room temperature.

Ground might be more at risk due to added fat if it ever reached room temp.

I would have to agree with this. While it’s hard to know the cleanliness of someone’s processes when they proceed a animal. What everyone here is talking about it likely when the meat is oxidizing. It tends to go shift from a bright red to a darker brick red/brown. Look at some photos of dry aged meat. It can look pretty funky, but it’s not unfit for consumption, though in a way the process is a type of controlled spoiling.

“Rotten” meat tends to be slimy and have a very noticeable off odor. I would not even serve actual rotten meat to your pets. It’s nasty and dangerous.

Honestly in my opinion most people are much too concerned about bad food/food poisoning. Your more likely to get sick from not washing your hands well before eating vs the food itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
Just polished off the last of the Piccadillo I made with this stuff. While I dont plan on making a habit of letting ground meat sit in the fridge too long, I am pleased to report no issues.

what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger!