Ground hunting

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt public land. Have zero desire. To use a tree stand. I don't like heights and I don't wanna pack any that extra stuff.
And I know I'm m hindering myself but I really don't wanna climb a tree. It has hurt me I'm success hasn't been great.
Do you all have any tips for whitetail hunting the ground?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly hunt on the ground, but also on private land so a bit different than you. On the ground you can't get away with as much movement but on many occasions I've had deer within feet of me without spooking. I use a camo net material that I bought from Academy and by using that and leaning against a tree I feel pretty well hidden.

If a deer comes in close go ahead and get your gun up. When your face is obscured by a scope they often look right at you and don't realize you're there at all. I've done the same thing with coyotes inside of 10 yards.

The biggest disadvantage is scent control and I probably do spook a few more than I would in a tree. But you can be more mobile and still hunt until you find a place to sit down so I find it preferable. Another disadvantage on public land is safety. Being off of the ground, at least in theory, seems like you would be less likely to be shot by accident.

I say keep doing what you're doing and save yourself the headache of carrying around a stand.

I hunt public land. Have zero desire. To use a tree stand. I don't like heights and I don't wanna pack any that extra stuff.
And I know I'm m hindering myself but I really don't wanna climb a tree. It has hurt me I'm success hasn't been great.
Do you all have any tips for whitetail hunting the ground?

Greg rifle or bow/crossbow?
What state?

Missouri I hunt public land hund. Rifle on the ground and bow in a stand. Primos double bull blind has been great on the ground. They make a Packable Blind that goein front of you. Think like a turkey blind.

Kansas, both on the ground and stand but private land so I know where the deer are.

you need to find your travel routes from feeding to bedding. Sit that.

youtube has tips for days for on the ground hunting.

in the eastern state’s you really need to get elevated for bow hunting if not in a blind of some kind. Your at eye level

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Tennessee.
Gun.
Also
Gonna try a crossbow hunting first time this year.
I'd I have some success then I'll look at an actual bow

jspradley

WKR
Be really, really, really still. Look with your eyes first before you move your head.

I will say there is not much that beats being on the ground in bow range of a whitetail!

Echo all the above. I ground hunt quite a bit with rifle. The areas I find good deer are normally have such a thick canopy that gun up a tree is actually more limiting than on the ground.

Try to find a rise in the terrain where you'll naturally expand your view but stay under the lower limbs of trees. I love sitting right beside a downed log with just my head barely above. I've even moved some trees to create that cover and make a sort of natural ground blind that isn't obvious to other hunters.

Because of that cover, I also recommend taking an extra piece of blaze orange and place it somewhere above you. If you make a good enough ground blind, other hunters may not realize what you are.

bdg848

WKR
Gun hunting from the ground is nothing too difficult at all IMO. I've only killed one deer from a tree stand. I thought you were asking about BOW hunting on the ground, which is definitely more difficult. I have killed several deer with a bow from the ground (no blind) and a homemade ghillie suit or at least a leafy suit helps a lot I think. With a gun it doesn't matter hardly at all. I fill my gun tags every year on the ground. I sit on a foam pad, a bucket, or even a lawn chair. All you have to do get the gun to your shoulder without them busting out of there and they are dead. Even if they see you shoulder the gun and are on high alert, they just stand there and stare for a minute before they run off. They can't "jump the string" like they can with a bow...If you get the gun up, you got them. Gun hunting from the ground is TOTALLY doable.

I would wear as much orange as possible gun hunting from the ground on public land. You never know when some yahoo will shoot at movement or sound especially in the low light hours.

As long as you aren't doing jumping jacks all day the deer shouldn't be any harder than if you were in a tree stand.

jspradley

WKR
I would wear as much orange as possible gun hunting from the ground on public land. You never know when some yahoo will shoot at movement or sound especially in the low light hours.

As long as you aren't doing jumping jacks all day the deer shouldn't be any harder than if you were in a tree stand.

Yep, sunrise at the last gun season opener sounded like duck season opening morning at the public land in TX I hunt. I was REALLY glad I was up in a tree.

Hunting accidental/negligent shootings are quite rare but they do happen. Trauma gear is always a good idea when hunting anyway!

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Wisconsin and have never shot a deer during gun season out of a tree stand. I’ve harvested 15 deer in the last 10 years. Not sure what the land you hunt is like, but usually with a gun you can use hills and brush to your advantage. My friends all tell me I need to get in a tree stand, but I’ve also got a lot more bucks hanging on the wall than they do! Spend a ton of time learning the woods and you will do just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
1st hour and first hunt after I moved to PA I shot a doe from the ground at 7 yards. I forgot my harness for my climber so I just found a downed tree against a standing tree, sat on the downed tree with my back to the standing tree and the doe came from behind me and had no idea I was there. It was a thrill, last year I bought a leafy top and am going to try to do it more this year.

My lease this year doesn't have many trees so I'll put 2 or 3 blinds out and hunt from them. I only archery hunt.

Tennessee.
Gun.
Also
Gonna try a crossbow hunting first time this year.
I'd I have some success then I'll look at an actual bow

I don’t know the terrain of the land you are hunting is a know from one side of Tennessee is more open and the other side trees and you got the smokies too.

Missouri is that way from hunting northern vs southern Missouri. In southern Missouri is hilly with all trees. I look for deer sign and hunt the travel routes that they use. Getting elevated some will help with crossbow hunt but rifle sit some in the am and pm. The a walk and stalk after that. might find a friend that hunts your area to give you some help or find somewhere holding more deer per acre

I enjoy hunting on the ground much more than a tree stand. I still find areas that a tree stand will give me an advantage and have had success but just as much success on the ground. My father had polio growing up and has never been in a stand and he is very successful with a bow.

On the ground it usually comes down to wind direction. You can wash gear and bath in scent purifying whatever... you can’t beat a deers nose. If you are hunting deer that are not hunted or care about human scent you are lucky but I doubt you have that luxury.

If “still” hunting in one spot... you should pick your sitting spot according to the wind. Believe it or not, deer walk ridges just like elk. Game trails usually run up and down these just like the mountains out west. If you know the wind direction it is better to be down wind even if it’s down hill from the game trail. Last year I shot my buck at about a 30 deg upward shot.... right where I expected him to be walking and I was down wind and down hill. If the wind was to change direction I would have either went to the opposite side of the ridge, or picked a different spot. In any area I pick my spot according to the wind. If the spot is perfect and deer are there every night but the wind is wrong I avoid it until it is right. Doesn’t always work out but once you blow the spot up you won’t get lucky there again with those deer for a while.

Pre scout those spots. Get or clear a good shooting lane cut from your seat to the trail Before the season and take notes on yardage and angle. If you set yourself up at 30 yards but 30deg up hill you need to practice that shot. It’s a lot different that 30 yards down from a tree stand or shooting on flat ground. Aiming points are much different to hit vitals.

furthermore.... when walking into your spot loop big downwind so if you do leave any scent it won’t be on the trail they will be walking on. pre season make trails from two directions to your spot so you can sneak in and not leave scent in front of you on the deers pat

get some leafy camo if your exposed or a ground blind. If going with a ground blind set it up now so the deer get used to it being out there. I like to take brush and set up to hide me as they walk up to my shooting lane and if lucky enough to have a tree to draw I will set my seat behind it with enough room to draw as the deer passes by and can’t see me.

I hope something in this might help you out. Good luck!

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know the terrain of the land you are hunting is a know from one side of Tennessee is more open and the other side trees and you got the smokies too.

Missouri is that way from hunting northern vs southern Missouri. In southern Missouri is hilly with all trees. I look for deer sign and hunt the travel routes that they use. Getting elevated some will help with crossbow hunt but rifle sit some in the am and pm. The a walk and stalk after that. might find a friend that hunts your area to give you some help or find somewhere holding more deer per acre
All Hills covered in thick woods. Very little open ground on public land. 40 yards be pretty much max you can see unless you just get lucky with the trees alignment.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever tried stillhunting?
Yea. Most of time . I feel like my setup is bad or something. Maybe. I'm getting winded. Or just not finding good locations that they are passing though in daylight.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy hunting on the ground much more than a tree stand. I still find areas that a tree stand will give me an advantage and have had success but just as much success on the ground. My father had polio growing up and has never been in a stand and he is very successful with a bow.

On the ground it usually comes down to wind direction. You can wash gear and bath in scent purifying whatever... you can’t beat a deers nose. If you are hunting deer that are not hunted or care about human scent you are lucky but I doubt you have that luxury.

If “still” hunting in one spot... you should pick your sitting spot according to the wind. Believe it or not, deer walk ridges just like elk. Game trails usually run up and down these just like the mountains out west. If you know the wind direction it is better to be down wind even if it’s down hill from the game trail. Last year I shot my buck at about a 30 deg upward shot.... right where I expected him to be walking and I was down wind and down hill. If the wind was to change direction I would have either went to the opposite side of the ridge, or picked a different spot. In any area I pick my spot according to the wind. If the spot is perfect and deer are there every night but the wind is wrong I avoid it until it is right. Doesn’t always work out but once you blow the spot up you won’t get lucky there again with those deer for a while.

Pre scout those spots. Get or clear a good shooting lane cut from your seat to the trail Before the season and take notes on yardage and angle. If you set yourself up at 30 yards but 30deg up hill you need to practice that shot. It’s a lot different that 30 yards down from a tree stand or shooting on flat ground. Aiming points are much different to hit vitals.

furthermore.... when walking into your spot loop big downwind so if you do leave any scent it won’t be on the trail they will be walking on. pre season make trails from two directions to your spot so you can sneak in and not leave scent in front of you on the deers pat

get some leafy camo if your exposed or a ground blind. If going with a ground blind set it up now so the deer get used to it being out there. I like to take brush and set up to hide me as they walk up to my shooting lane and if lucky enough to have a tree to draw I will set my seat behind it with enough room to draw as the deer passes by and can’t see me.

I hope something in this might help you out. Good luck!
Thanks Gooe info I was. Looking for

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Wind is a big factor on the ground. Also if your big hub blind wasn't there the day before, the deer will likely be giving you some looks. 40 yards max will definitely be close enough to receive some looks. Safety is also a big factor here if hunting on public, wear your orange and dont hesitate to bring an extra vest or 2 to drape over the outside of the blind.

Pawvbow

FNG
Setting against a tree or whatever your setting against should be wider then you. I have a triple tree I set in almost like a lounge chair and not only am I comfy but unless I make crazy movement the deer and bear never seem to notice until it’s way to late 😉