Grizzly Bears in Colorado's San Juans

Same for half the east coast. Funny thing is back when I was in high school (mid 80's before game departments were actively playing these sightings down), there was actually an article in "Virginia Wildlife" (the DNR sponsored magazine) that went into great detail the about cat sightings in southwest VA. I'd love to find the article again, because I swear it even made reference to preparedness or availability of virginia damage control shooters for cat killings of livestock.

an interesting read with lots of detail on recent (at the time ) sightings, but my memory must have stretched with regard to any reference of livestock damage control...

But hey, not a bad memory (32 years) for the amount of beers that this brain has handled....

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
That is my brother with that bear. I can assure you it is an 18 yr old (color phased) Black bear. I am also an Alaskan guide an Know what a grizzly looks like.
Colorado big game book cover from a few years back. Big head, big claws to be a black bear but I'm not an expert. I believe it was taken in southern CO.
38528ff821a2b5e88d669932987b57b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Animals wander occasionally. Moose in Eastern Nebraska and Missouri show up every few years. Stuff happens. Wouldn't be crazy to see a grizz in Colorado but I am very confident there isn't a stable resident population. I am lifelong friends with 2 biologists. One is in southern Wyoming and one is in Colorado. They do investigate sightings from time to time. Neither has been a part of a confirmed case but a few have been "non-conclusive" over the years. Wolves are a different story...

I don't know how there hasn't been any migrating into the Uinta mountains from Wyoming. I know the wind rivers are quite a way from there, but grizzlies' original range was quite amazing. They were all the way out into SD