Grinding shank meat

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I used to spend time to clean them up and grind, but never again. 5 hours in the Dutch oven at 375 degrees and they just fall apart.

I wish I had learned this years ago. Just started messing with it last year. I am late to the party and now I hate that I have ground up so much neck and shank meat.
I echo the thought of birria tacos. Made that for the first time this year with bear neck & shank.
It is now my favorite cut of meat period.
Low and slow and its just heaven.
Cooked down with lime and toss a little pico on it in a tortilla.... so good, thats the wife's favorite

KenLee

WKR
I had the same problem even after cutting with a fine toothed reciprocal saw and rinsing them. I now filet the shank and cut it into chunks. Hard to describe how awful it is to bite into a tiny bone.
It's easier to pick out bone chips when they are Dewalt yellow 😉

young7.3

WKR
I freeze the shank hole and then cut it into 3-4” sections with a bandsaw for frozen dog treats. My lab loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young7.3

WKR
missing out on some great slow cooked shank meat, but glad the lab is eating good!

Ive slow cooked it before and still do sometimes. But when we have 2 elk and 2 deer each year our freezer gets full fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk