Grinder recommendations?

FYI -

LEM just advertised a site-wide 20% off - today only. That puts a #22 at $503. Not as good as Black Friday was, but not bad, and you have it before the season starts. SHipping to my destination was $50, and it looks like they are now collecting tax (bummer) for a total of $585. Maybe there's a free shipping promo floating around out there also?

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky when I went in to purchase a new grinder to replace the $120 grinder I broke in no time flat (nylon gears cracked). At the time, Cabelas was phasing out their old grinders to replace with the new Carnivore series. I bought a 1hp for $299 at the time.

They flat out run and you had better be ready to catch what's coming out because out fast it comes. If it ever fails beyond repair, I'll have a new boat anchor. Literally.

Only upgrade I'll do is to add a footswitch, but I've dealt with it for 2+ years now.

I believe I have a LEM Big Bite 22 as well. I thought mine was 1.5 hp but it may be 1 hp. Regardless I cant feed it fast as it grinds. I also cut long strips and as wide that will easily go in the tube. It makes nice clean grind with no mush. I do have the meat very cold and firm before I run it through.

My buddies and I went in together on a Cabelas carnivore with the 3/4hp motor. We processed two spike bull elk and three muley bucks from a successful trip in one go without a hitch from the machine. Be sure to keep everything right around freezing, and as clean as you can. We removed a good portion of the silver skin in our initial prep. The bagging attachment was awesome for final grind right into single serving bags. You can thaw them out in lukewarm water for last minute supper.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I think everyone should start with the cheapo $75 500 watt grinder so they truly appreciate it when they finally get a decent 3/4 or 1 HP grinder. It's difficult to explain how significant the upgrade is if you haven't experienced it.

The foot switch is also well worth the cost. There's a reason everyone is recommending.

mparry

FNG
I've also heard some things about a kitchenaid attachment to grind smaller amounts of meat

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I've also heard some things about a kitchenaid attachment to grind smaller amounts of meat
I grew up grinding white tail with the kitchenaid attachment. I would be fine for doing a deer at a time but I spent countless from age 10-16 behind one and said never again. As soon as I had a job I bought a LEM #12 and have never looked back. That being said we got a kitchenaid for a wedding present and the first attachment I bought was the grinder. Its small and light and I use it for small jobs grinding 3-5 pounds of meat at a time. Get yourself an LEM. I've been running the same unit for the last 8 years with no issues. We do 4-6 bears, 6-8 deer and 3-4 elk a year on it plus an occasional antelope. Get a few hunting buddies to throw in with you and split the cost of a good grinder. 1 LEM will last a group of hunters for years.

mparry

FNG
I grew up grinding white tail with the kitchenaid attachment. I would be fine for doing a deer at a time but I spent countless from age 10-16 behind one and said never again. As soon as I had a job I bought a LEM #12 and have never looked back. That being said we got a kitchenaid for a wedding present and the first attachment I bought was the grinder. Its small and light and I use it for small jobs grinding 3-5 pounds of meat at a time. Get yourself an LEM. I've been running the same unit for the last 8 years with no issues. We do 4-6 bears, 6-8 deer and 3-4 elk a year on it plus an occasional antelope. Get a few hunting buddies to throw in with you and split the cost of a good grinder. 1 LEM will last a group of hunters for years.

Good to know, I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

zimagold

FNG
Continuing on the kitchen aid track.

Latey I only process one elk or deer a year and have gone back to my Kitchen Aid. If you have a larger lift style Kitchen Aid, there are upgraded 3rd party attachments for grinding. I have a professional model kitchen aid with 1hp motor and ended up selling my Cabelas 3/4hp grinder. The attachment I am using is all stainless components and 100% dishwasher friendly (cost $150ish). Makes cleanup for smalls batches super easy. I find myself pulling it out and using it a lot more. Not sure I would try using this grinder on a smaller tilt style Kitchen Aid.

For multiple deer at once, I would go back to a 3/4hp or larger Cabelas grinder and accept the additional cleanup and space needs.

jmcd22

WKR
FYI -

LEM just advertised a site-wide 20% off - today only. That puts a #22 at $503. Not as good as Black Friday was, but not bad, and you have it before the season starts. SHipping to my destination was $50, and it looks like they are now collecting tax (bummer) for a total of $585. Maybe there's a free shipping promo floating around out there also?

Damn! I wish I had seen this! Joined their email list so I don't miss out again.

Do you remember what the Black Friday sale was?

muddydogs

WKR
I've got a small LEM kitchen counter grinder #8 575. I figured when I kill it off I would purchase a bigger unit but in 1500 pounds of game meat, pork and fat I have yet to kill it. The little grinder will grind almost frozen meat and do it faster then I can feed it. Never had a problem with the plastic gears and it's been worked hard from time to time.

I have a foot switch for the grinder but never use it, just don't see a need to turn the grinder off and on while I'm grinding. Foot switch might be useful if using the grinder to stuff bags, tried it once and decided that it was worth the extra clean up to use the stuffer since I can stuff about 40 pounds of burger into one pound bags in about 10 minutes over taking forever with a grinder.

My Lem is easy to clean. Just pull the head off and dump the few parts in the sink with hot water and soap. We had some others in the past that where a pain to clean because the whole head couldnt easily be removed.
It is a heavy SOB however.

So i am a relative new guy and I eased into butchering in the last few years because I didn’t like the results from commercial processing. I hunt mostly in New York and PA and wanted the ability to process on site so a made up a truck box with all the equipment I need.

I was shopping for grinders when I caught a sale on a small LEM for $75. I thought “why not” but assumed I would need to upgrade pretty soon. Well it has performed better than expected processing 2-3 whitetail a year the last two years. I probably grind 10-15 pounds per deer and it handles it well. Definitely not as fast or a full functioned as a bigger grinder but it gets it done. I haven’t seen the need to upgrade yet.