Greetings from the D5 zone

Dfive

FNG
El Dorado county California. United States of 'Mer
Greetings from California. It's good to meet you all! I just finished my hunters safety course so I'm a brand new hunter. I have been pig and deer hunting before but I was mostly an extra set of eyes and a pack mule, no kills. I live right in the middle of Cali's zone D5 so I plan on chasing blacktail there this fall. I credit Joe Rogan and his guests with inspiring me to take the leap. He always has hunters on his show (Steve Rinella, Cameron Haynes, Remi Warren, ect.) and it sounds like too much fun to miss. I don't have a lot of knowledge but I'm very enthusiastic so I hope that and hard work will be enough to put a hole in my first buck this fall. In a zone with a 10-15% success rate I'll need all that and lots of luck but I love to learn so even if I don't get one I know I'll be successful in gaining experience. I look forward to getting to know the forum and hopefully I will start some good posts. Good luck to everyone.

Welcome! Technically D5 deer are Muleys and don't let the low percentage kill get you down. I hunt D5 and seem to find a buck each year, they're out there!

JNDEER

WKR
Welcome and best of luck in the D's. There was that huge fire in D5 couple years ago, heard there are some bucks around there.

Welcome! Technically D5 deer are Muleys and don't let the low percentage kill get you down. I hunt D5 and seem to find a buck each year, they're out there!

Actually the deer in D-5 are are a California Mulie-blacktail cross in the larger upper portion, and the lower western portion is Blacktail, and California Mule deer in the eastern portion as referenced from the F&W deer distribution map.

Dfive, welcome, and best of luck!

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the site. I hunted D5 last year. I had fun but ate tag soup. Lots of information here. enjoy.
Thank you
Tony

Actually the deer in D-5 are are a California Mulie-blacktail cross in the larger upper portion, and the lower western portion is Blacktail, and California Mule deer in the eastern portion as referenced from the F&W deer distribution map.

Dfive, welcome, and best of luck!

I respectfully disagree, regardless, there are some great bucks here!

I respectfully disagree, regardless, there are some great bucks here!

I don't have a problem with that, as you actually disagreeing with the Ca Department of Fish and Wildlife's biologists. They are the guys that do the genetic studies, and I just presume that since they have the educational expertise (mine is in a different field), they actually know what they are doing.

BFM

FNG
D16 resident here.

When talking D zones I think that old saying is especially true, 10% of hunters kill 90% of the deer.

In a zone with a 10-15% success rate I'll need all that and lots of luck but I love to learn so even if I don't get one I know I'll be successful in gaining experience.
Best way to enhance your luck is to spend every single day you can out there. If you scout and hunt 20 days, luck will be a lot more in your favor than if you scout and hunt 10 and pick 4 leaf clovers.

Are you Archery Hunting or Rifle ? Im in Modesto , down for some hikes to scout or hunt in D5 or D6. I mostly archery hunt but do late season rifle too.

OP
Dfive

Dfive

FNG
El Dorado county California. United States of 'Mer
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm glad to see the art of friendly debate is no stranger to rokslide. The mulie vs blacktail debate, even with all the dna in the world, might live forever! The deer on the lower western slope all look and act very much like blacktail do. I have seen some up high though that look mixed for sure so there is mixing. I don't claim to know though. D5 is certainly not deer mecca but that will make it a good place to learn the fundamentals. I have friends who are good hunters and are happy to help me out. Cant hit em, that is kind of you to offer your help and even if its just good advice I will be grateful. This year I plan on hunting with a rifle, it seems wise to keep it simple. Hope to see y'all around