Great video on seating depth testing.

I think I stated clearly here that I have proven that it makes a real difference with thousands of rounds fired, not just 20 or 30

Harvey_NW

WKR
I think I stated clearly here that I have proven that it makes a real difference with thousands of rounds fired, not just 20 or 30
Awesome, would you mind posting any of the targets that were compared to support that conclusion? Because that's kind of the crux here.

Otherwise, I'm the best shooter in the world :cool:

Harvey_NW

WKR
I certainly haven’t done it, or seen it personally. It’s just my assumption honestly.

I just put my bullets close to the lands, and they almost always shoot well lol. I’ve never felt the needs to do an extravagant seating depth test.

F Class John on YouTube does a test across .100 of the depth and the results are pretty cool. I think he went in .005 increments and the 20 shot group was 4” at 600 yards.
Same. And I either saw that one, or one very similar. The one that really befuddled me was when he induced like .040" runout by literally bending the necks to where they would barely chamber, and still shot like 8" of vertical and nearly cleaned an F target at 1k.

Awesome, would you mind posting any of the targets that were compared to support that conclusion? Because that's kind of the crux here.

Otherwise, I'm the best shooter in the world :cool:
Sounds a lot like you are calling me a liar which doesn’t sit well with me
I don’t keep old targets as I have no reason to.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Sounds a lot like you are calling me a liar which doesn’t sit well with me
I don’t keep old targets as I have no reason to.
I'm not calling you anything, I'm asking for the proof that you're able to do things ballisticians, and other engineers, aren't able to do.

Maybe you should, apparently you have expertise the ballisticians haven't discovered yet!

TaperPin

WKR
But what about the OP video? I mean, Keith is a heavily awarded F-Class competitor, now coach, and he has hundreds of videos doing seating depth testing and making sure he's dialed in and shooting in the .1's and .2's before the comp. But when he upped his sample size to statistically valid, and still did his part, they just didn't hold to what he "tuned" them to. I'm perplexed..
I really like Keith’s videos and train of thought. He left the video without a conclusion, so it will be interesting to see if what he found in the video changes his approach.

TaperPin

WKR
I have to admit to over reacting - while seating depth does make a difference, in a hunting context the juice isnt worth the squeeze if it takes 50 rounds or more in testing to go from 5/8” groups to 9/16”. Even for a varmint rifle, that increase in accuracy gets lost in the noise of holding and estimating wind.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I have to admit to over reacting - while seating depth does make a difference, in a hunting context the juice isnt worth the squeeze if it takes 50 rounds or more in testing to go from 5/8” groups to 9/16”. Even for a varmint rifle, that increase in accuracy gets lost in the noise of holding and estimating wind.
That’s how I view it as well. If I can put 5 shots into 1/2 MOA pretty often, and 10 shots into .7 MOA. That load is capable of killing out to extremely long distances.