Great Stuff Foam in old target

b_young

FNG
So I’ve put my bow target through the ringer. It is at the point where the arrows almost do a complete pass through. But instead of throwing it away I’m thinking about getting a can of Great Stuff foam and filling in holes and gaps that I’ve made from my shots to make it last a little while longer. Has anyone tried it before? If so, how long did it hold up for you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 38
Works fine for me. Had a elk get attacked and worked on it yesterday.

I have found that you are best to prevent the foam from expanding. I have put cardboard on the outside and secured it so it couldn't push out. String, ratchet straps, or boards and weight. Put a few small holes in it and try to squirt as much as possible in. It will create a denser foam.

Elk that something ate the guts out of:
IMG_20190704_160756632.jpg

I filled it and I'll shape it back a little with a long blade one a sawzall and then repaint.

Randle

WKR
Yep it works great
I need to do mine again this weekend. it's been about a year

Mt Al

WKR
Works for me and the price is right. I dig/cut out some of the crumbly stuff that's still in the target and fill 'er up.

AZ32

FNG
You guys just saved me a pile of money... I guess I don’t need that new target after alll. Thanks for the idea!

92python

FNG
Ive been using great stuff on my 3 11 year old GlenDel buck inserts for some time now. I take a can and do all 3 inserts at the same time and find somewhere else to use the rest of the can. As mentioned, It works best to have some sort of way to keep the target in its original shape, then spray the stuff in. The particular target that I use the foamed inserts on is set 50 to 60 yards out from where I shoot so the arrows aren't screaming along like they are at 20 or 30 yards.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I must be thinking a little different here, the great stuff foam is not dense and actually reacts to certain foams used in targets causing them to become really hard and, for me, ruins the target more. I don't get the cost benefit out of saving money to ruin a potential still salvageable target.

What i use is FoamIt 17 density, it is actually really close tot he target repair foam used by some notable target repair guys and at a fraction of the cost. http://www.theengineerguy.com/Products_2/FLEX-FOAM-IT-17/
The trial kit does 1 really bad target or two targets with a fist size hole through it, depending on size obviously.