Great coyote tournament

7stw

WKR
Here in oklahoma coyote contests are held all over the state about every weekend in January and February. Some are fundraisers and some for pure jackpot. Myself and a friend and his son competed in the north Canadian outdoors tournament on February 6th. With 30,000 in prize money up for grabs it's good incentive to not call some properties until the day of the hunt.

The morning of we made our way to a spot I've killed several on over the years. It's a quarter that's 90% alfalfa and bordered by a creek too the north and west. 5% watershed and 5% an old homestead and bale stack yard. A few interrogation howls and some rabbit distress and Rodney shoots a big male. Continued to call for a few minutes and had another dog come out of the timber along the creek at 408yds it paced back and forth and wouldn't commit. It went and sat down looking our direction. I get adjusted into position and center the crosshairs on its neck and shoot. The distinctive smack echoes back. We retrieve our dogs and proceed to another spot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455299761.305615.jpg

We strike out on the next three locations and head to another ranch I have access too. Strike out there as well. It got warm (mid 50's) and the wind picked up. Stopped and ate along I 35 and headed to another location. Nothing there either. I'm getting worried. I'd hoped to get 7-10 coyotes as historically that gets you in the top five spots. About 3:00 we arrive at another ranch a friend works on. Meet with him and formulate a game plan.

Set up along some cedar's above a timbered draw and call almost instantly have a dog pop out. 150ish yard shot and another one down. Pack up and head to another spot about three miles away. Get set up about the same scenario as the first stand and have a dog slip into an opening some lip smacks to get it to stop and under a 100 yard shot. Dog four of the day. Go to another pasture about six miles east and set up. This time there where some bunches of love grass we used to set up in. After about 18 mins it's getting dark quick and I'm about to pack it in and out of the corner of my eye I catch movement another dog at a dead run from the south east. I move into position agin and at 205yds make another good shot.

I felt bad for sniping all but one of the dogs that day but was excited to have five total. We head the 85 miles to check in. I stop for fuel and hear that two coyotes and a bobcat are in the lead. We get there and sure enough out five take the lead with about an hour left of check in.

We wound up not placing but had a great day spent with friends pursuing predators. The winning team had thirteen coyotes and two Bobcats and second had ten dogs and three cats. Nine and eight and eight with tie broken to heaviest coyote rounded out the top five. Congrats to the winners and thanks to the group that organizes and hosts this event. 110 teams competed and 135 fawn killers where put down that day. Literally over a ton of coyotes and cats where harvested.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455300737.460513.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455300762.056350.jpg

Already making plans for next years event.

KHNC

WKR
Damn! That's good stuff! Did you use E-caller or mouth calls?

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Thats awesome! I'm chomping at the bit for next weekend, it is our annual Coyote Crush here in Indiana. 46hrs to kill as many 'yotes as you can (fox don't count towards the total and bobcat are protected :mad:) Weather is'nt going to cooperate, but between me and my hunting buddies properties we should place. New spot I got us into had a cow die after a fall down a hill and a broken neck, farmer couldn't get out there to bury it, and when I got there 5 days later to check it out it was an honest to truth shell. No meat or innards, just skin and bone. Cow as about 1100# when it died. Thats a lot of scavengers!

OP
7stw

7stw

WKR
Damn! That's good stuff! Did you use E-caller or mouth calls?

Both. Called all but one in with howls. They get lots of pressure around here and everyone uses prey distress I have great luck with howls.

KHNC

WKR
That's good to know! My e-call turned out to be a POS! Bought the mojo double trouble two years ago. Used it 4-5 times and now it won't work. Gonna have to buy a foxpro I guess.