GPS watch or Apple Watch

MHWASH

WKR
I'm considering getting a watch again. This time a "smart" watch. I really know absolutely zero about them. I currently run GIAI and just recently OnX on my iPhone. I also have an InReach Mini. I assume either choice has a fitness tracker as well. Is there any advantage to a GPS watch? I always though the smart watches were a gimmick for people that just wanna have the newest fad.

Recommend neither. You have all the tracking you need. If you want a fitness tracker and don't mind the monthly cost idea of I think $15/month, so with a Whoop strap. I have a Garmin Fenix 6 and kind of wish I would have spent the money on something else. Just my 2 cents

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not a fan of smart watches either. Just more time spent with the learning curve. An argument for them might be redundancy but in your case I wouldn't do it.

CoStick

WKR
The garmin watches have great battery life and a nice benefit is they can run your mini from your wrist. The apple watches are a better platform but battery life is not great for backcountry trips

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Thanks for the input fellas. I think my money could be better spent on hunting gear.

Superdoo

WKR
I have an apple watch.
I have looked at getting a Garmin several times now over the past few years.
I want to use the Garmin to track dogs when I upgrade to the 550+ collar system and to be able to quickly reference my position in the field. Apple won't do either of these.
With my apple I can send quick replies to text messages which is nice. The garmin will let you view them but won't let you reply.
The apple doesn't let you choose different tones for notifications and I hear the Garmin speaker is difficult to hear the tones on.

Essentially every time I look at switching, I ask myself if it's really worth several hundred dollars to avoid taking something out of my pocket...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I should also add that I would not have an apple watch if it would not have been gifted to me.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Fenix 6 for running,
It’s nice during hunting season but wouldn’t buy for only that. Apple Watch battery life is way to low for backcountry imop

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Had an apple watch for many years and just bought a Garmin Fenix. The Fenix has some really cool features but is overkill for 90% of my needs. The battery life on it alone though makes me never want an apple watch again.