GPS units..

bosox2850

FNG
I was looking at both the Garmin 600 and the Delorme InReach as a handheld GPS in the back country, I was wondering if anyone has used either or has an alternate suggestion other than those two. Mainly using it more for public/private land boundaries than for navigation. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
If you have a smart phone you can add backcountry navigator to show private land boundaries for less than $30

I've got a Garmin etrex 30, works great with Onx chip, and about half the price of the one you list. Screen isn't as big, but if all you're wanting is boundaries, it'll give you that. more compact, too.

xziang

WKR
2nd in reach isn't a substitute for GPS. You can find Garmin 62's and the 64'same either used or on sale at decent price. I'll admit I'm partial to these types though.

Not meaning to poach on the thread.. But I was looking into the Garmin GPSMAPS 64st and pairing it with an onxmaps chip. Does anybody have any experience with this GPS? I read some very mixed reviews and was wondering if it is a solid unit. Thanks!

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was wondering and wanting to know.

oldgoat

WKR
So, now I see you have an iPhone, backcountry navigator won't work on those but there are some that will. Everybody I know that's used one of the smart phone GPS apps won't go back to a regular GPS. Large, full color touch screen screen GPS is hard to give up, you don't have to have cell service either, you download the maps at home and it works in the back country or wherever with no issues. Hopefully somebody with an iPhone that's used this type app will chime in. The private property lines in the program I run are very accurate. May be start a thread asking specifically about the iPhone apps.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Inreach is no substitute for a real gps.
It gives you a coordinate so if you can read a map and compass it works fine in my experience. Paired with a phone it works quite well as a substitute GPS. I only carry the inreach and my phone now and they've worked fine and I doubt I'd carry a separate GPS even without the phone unless I wanted boundary markers on-screen.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
It gives you a coordinate so if you can read a map and compass it works fine in my experience. Paired with a phone it works quite well as a substitute GPS. I only carry the inreach and my phone now and they've worked fine and I doubt I'd carry a separate GPS even without the phone unless I wanted boundary markers on-screen.

Until now I've never used a GPS at all, I've always relied on a compass and a topo map, but some areas I'm interested are becoming more riddled with private land. And something showing more up to date information is what I was after that can be used on the fly. That's why I was stating mainly for that purpose and not navigation in particular. I didn't know the InReach didn't show property boundaries. I do like it and the idea of it and being able to text home from remote places.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
So, now I see you have an iPhone, backcountry navigator won't work on those but there are some that will. Everybody I know that's used one of the smart phone GPS apps won't go back to a regular GPS. Large, full color touch screen screen GPS is hard to give up, you don't have to have cell service either, you download the maps at home and it works in the back country or wherever with no issues. Hopefully somebody with an iPhone that's used this type app will chime in. The private property lines in the program I run are very accurate. May be start a thread asking specifically about the iPhone apps.

Well that sucks about it not working on iPhone I liked that idea a lot. Saves money for sure especially if it works as well as you're saying. Thanks tho I'll dig more into an app that may work with iPhone or maybe they'll have one for it in the near future.

Just bought the far in foretrex 401 going to be testing it out this weekend I'll be weighting a review

Flojoe

FNG
I recently downloaded the "Gaia GPS" app on my iPhone and so far I really like it. Don't have much experience with any of the other iPhone options but I definitely recommend checking it out.

xziang

WKR
Not meaning to poach on the thread.. But I was looking into the Garmin GPSMAPS 64st and pairing it with an onxmaps chip. Does anybody have any experience with this GPS? I read some very mixed reviews and was wondering if it is a solid unit. Thanks!

They are a solid unit in my opinion. Very similar to the 62st but with more memory if I recall. They can use the micro SD cards and can provide satellite imagery too. Once again I have to admit I'm partial to them too though for I have a 60csx and then the 62.

JeremiahH

WKR
Back country navigator pro. These are couple different map sources to choose from. Also a $10 add on for Idaho boundary overlay. I'm probably gonna end up selling my Garmin Oregon 450

Cal topo 24k
6fb421a225f07d5162b33696ea5be2d4.jpg

First service 2013
9add0694fcc731a69eb309737059112a.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462072211195.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462072211195.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1462072251927.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462072251927.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Since you have an iPhone you can get the onx hunt app. Private/Public boundaries and full navigation. If you are a member of RMEF you can get a free 1 year trial subscription, otherwise it's $30/yr

JeremiahH

WKR
Could always buy a used unlocked android phone and swap your Sim card for hunting trips. Or just use the Wi-Fi function for downloading and gps function of it for back country navigator. just thinking of ways not to have a subscription. That just seems expensive to me for what it is.