Gore-Tex Jacket Wet Inside

Exhale a warm breathe into a ziplock bag and you can get a pretty good visual of what's going on inside that jacket.

As others have said, your body is creating a warm, moist environment while outside of the jacket is a cool, wet environment. There just isn't enough difference for osmosis across the membrane.

Breathable rain jackets also work better the closer you can get them to your skin. FYI

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that’s a good point. The dwr was doing a great job of heading up water at first, but then the face fabric did start to wet out after a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what I was going to suggest. You would be better off with a GT jacket with pit zips. Also, as someone else alluded to, the outer surface has to bead water or the fabric won't breath. Water vapor from inside can't pass out through a liquid film on the exterior.

Never even considered that, but it make sense. Eventually the face fabric started to wet out, so I’m sure that contributed

Gore tex is a great material in the right application, I agree with the pit zips - any venting you can do will help with moisture build up. Sometimes other fabrics are better; I was given an old Filson wool coat that does an excellent job of keeping me dry and is quieter than my synthetic rain jackets in the brush. It is heavier and offers a lot of warmth. If you keep an eye out sometimes you can find a used one for a good deal.

Ya, pit zips and maybe don't wear a zero moisture capacity polyester base layer.

When the sweat beads up on the inside the pores are blocked and the vapor can't escape. A wool base layer can act as a nice buffer and probably would've absorbed all of that moisture you saw and kept the inside clear enough to continue transporting the vapor and even when damp the wool will still feel fine.

And honestly if you're building up that much condensation the Gore windstopper might be better than the fully waterproof Gore-Tex. I have the REI Gore windstopper shell which I use as rain/foul weather high exertion shell. It's not technically water proof but its more breathable so under high exertion your heat will steam off the moisture on the face and keep transporting your sweat too.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Gore tex is a great material in the right application, I agree with the pit zips - any venting you can do will help with moisture build up. Sometimes other fabrics are better; I was given an old Filson wool coat that does an excellent job of keeping me dry and is quieter than my synthetic rain jackets in the brush. It is heavier and offers a lot of warmth. If you keep an eye out sometimes you can find a used one for a good deal.

Appreciate your insight. It’s definitely not the quietest thing to wear bow hunting, but I noticed while it was raining it was quiet enough. Just have to wait to put it on until I’m not sweating haha

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, pit zips and maybe don't wear a zero moisture capacity polyester base layer.

When the sweat beads up on the inside the pores are blocked and the vapor can't escape. A wool base layer can act as a nice buffer and probably would've absorbed all of that moisture you saw and kept the inside clear enough to continue transporting the vapor and even when damp the wool will still feel fine.

And honestly if you're building up that much condensation the Gore windstopper might be better than the fully waterproof Gore-Tex. I have the REI Gore windstopper shell which I use as rain/foul weather high exertion shell. It's not technically water proof but its more breathable so under high exertion your heat will steam off the moisture on the face and keep transporting your sweat too.

I always wondered why jackets with wind stopper didn’t just use goretex instead, but it was kind of eye opening to see how much moisture built up in this jacket, whereas I’ve exerted just as much in a wind stopper jacket and it breathed much better. I didn’t realize the difference was that profound. Yeah that hoody let’s every bit of moisture right through

I always wondered why jackets with wind stopper didn’t just use goretex instead, but it was kind of eye opening to see how much moisture built up in this jacket, whereas I’ve exerted just as much in a wind stopper jacket and it breathed much better. I didn’t realize the difference was that profound. Yeah that hoody let’s every bit of moisture right through

I saw a graphic showing the difference between Gore-tex and Windstopper. It may have been on Gore's website.

The pores on Gore-tex regular membrane were much smaller and evenly spaced. The pores on Gore Windstopper were irregularly spaced and shaped something like nerds candy.

I really like the old Sitka 90% jacket, softshell, Windstopper with taped seems, and fleece lining.