Good travel bow case?

Heading to Texas this fall for a bow hunt, gonna need a case I can take on a plane. Shooting an elite energy 35. Anyone got a case they can recommend?

MattB

WKR
For a pure bow case, find an SKB that fits your bow and be done with the quest. Your bow is likely too long to fit in the various hard bottomed duffels that are out there, which IMO are the most versatile way to carry a bow.

I have an Elite Energy 32.. i have an SKB, fits fine with plent of room, your 35 will fit too.. Holds the arrows, is water tight too.. I have flown all over the place with that thing man for several years. Still doing great..besides some knicks and scuffs. Everything is safe inside on a plane, and trust me they love to through you bag up in the air an see where it falls or if it breaks.

Beendare

WKR

Bughalli

WKR
SKB, but their are different levels of protection. As others mentioned the fancy ones weigh a ton. They're bomb proof, but really eat into that 50lb weight limit and no fun to lug around. Most of the time when I travel for hunting I bring so much gear I'm tight on space/weight. The SKB I have was $125. Weighs maybe 10lbs or so. Solid, but not bomb proof. Has a decent hard shell, which I think is important. I fill it with clothes around the bow inside the case. This really makes it very solid and offers a ton of protection. I bet I could stand on it at that point. But then I throw the whole case in a big duffle bag. Put more clothes, boots, etc around it until you get to 50lbs. Works great. Pretty much all my hunting clothes for a week of cold weather hunting will fit in that setup. I would estimate I've taken 20 flights with that setup and no issues.

My other checked luggage is a light weight plastic cooler. Use it as a suitcase for other items (trail cameras, backpack, etc. ) If I get an animal I de-bone it and freeze the meat. A full size deer de-boned will fit in a 54qt cooler and come in almost exactly at 50lbs. Assuming it's a standard light weight plastic one (I add a cam stap around it to ensure it stays shut) I then carry the gear that was in the cooler inside a duffle or backpack and carry-on the plane.

With that setup you're only into it for $125. You probably change bows every few years and who knows if the next bow will fit, which is another reason I decided against the bomb proof SKB and Pelican cases.

My SKB is the Hunter Series. They come in different sizes. Here is an example. I'm sure one fits your bow.
http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=12&pid=135

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
I used the "standard" SKB since the 90's and then switched to their iSeries. I had a single case, and that was small and compact, but no room for add-ons like quiver. I bit the bullet and went to their double bow/rifle iSeries case. You can fit two bows in there, but it is tight on width. I prefer one, and use the top layer for quiver, stabs and releases. Arrows easily fit too in the double case. You can get it all in there. It's bigger and longer than the single iSeries, but still only like 14# and it has wheels so it moves through the airport really easily. I'm getting ready to take mine to Hawaii this weekend.

MT Bill

FNG
I have an SKB for my bowtech instanity, and it has made multiple trips back home to MT with me laying in the bed of my pickup. It has bounced around for a lot of dirt road miles as well and never seen m It's much better than my old $20 field logic case.

boom

WKR
i have run a SKB double case for years and years. i bought it used but in great shape.
the thing has wheels on one end so i can drag it around the airports fairly easy. it is kinda heavy. my bow, some knife and my camo pushes the weight limit.

the TSA locks suck. they ONLY keep honest people out. i once broke my key (i thought.but i later found out it was the wrong key) in the lock on a hunt and i simply lifted the lock with a little bit more effort and it blew apart into a cloud of plastic, latch parts, and springs..if i had to give it an effort rating..1 being super easy, 10 being..my forehead veins were pulsing with effort..i would have given it a three. i bet a 7 year old girl could snap the locks.

SKB sent me new locks free under warranty. it was easy to do the swap on both locks. they are held on with the tiniest wood screws. TINY!!! i have flown all over the place with the case with no issues. nobody dishonest has come across my sacred gear. nothing has been lost or stolen

over the years, the lid has warped. i have to jiggle the lid to get it to square up and latch down. annoying, but no big deal.

my next case will be the new Iseries. or even a pelican case.

Beendare

WKR
Matt,
I've only tried my Hoyt spyder turbo and my older Mathews LX- both fit while inside the cheap Walmart soft case.

If anyone local here is SF Bay area is looking for a SKB double bowcase [the original version] shoot me a pm....I know where you can get one cheap. This Sitka bag kills it for airline travel.