Good fixed blade knife for backcountry hunts

Tpmahler1

FNG
I would like to find a good fixed blade knife that holds an edge well and is durable. I have a couple Tyto knives but would like a fixed blade for cutting around joints etc. thinking argali or maybe an iron will. Open to others as well

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
For cutting in joints you probably want thin and narrow from spine to belly. A tough steel would be ideal in a fixed blade to avoid chipping against bone and any torquing motion.

This is a great read.

3v would be the toughest, 4v, M4, Cruwear would be better cutters.

I do the opposite; my fixed blade does most of the work processing. My replaceable blade is used for the exterior cuts, blade swapped and then for any joints.

PA Hunter

WKR
My go to is a Bark River Gunny Hunter, used it on my diy moose hunt deboning 2 Alaskan moose in 3 days it outperformed all my replaceable blade knives and stayed sharp vey long time. I would never leave home without it. Different blade materials you can order for different purposes.

prm

WKR
Wonder what happened with the Benchmade Altitude. No longer available. I like mine and the S90V seems to hold an edge very well.

BDWMT

FNG
That is rad, does the blade flex?
Yes this blade flexes. It’s a progressive stiff flex. I find a blade that flexes too much such as a good fillet knife will float on cartridge and tendons around joints so I grind them with a low flex along the straight edge and a moderate flex tip.

I will toss out a vote for ESEE. Not elegant or particularly expensive but solid knives For camp chores and the heavier aspects of butchery. I own a few from the izula to the junglas. My4 & 6 see the most use. The only one I don’t care for is the 5 survival version (thick and heavy due to a military spec).

my personal favorite belt knife is a Dan Winkler blade, but those start to get spendy and it’s a lot about preference beyond a point.

TheViking

WKR
I know @sndmn11 will beat me up over this, but I have been very happy with Argali knives.

I also carry a Tyto replaceable for skinning, and light cuts, and use the fixed blade for tough cuts.

Orchemo

Lil-Rokslider
Second the ESEE for general purpose knife. Decent edge, tough and life time warranty. I have a couple Bark Rivers and the are great knifes, but I "use" my ESEE's more

bline

FNG
Third for ESEE. I have a couple but the 4 is my go to camp and hunting knife. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge pretty well.

Mentioned the Altitude above— another real lightweight one but more traditional is the L T Wright Bandit (4" AEBL). It's kind of a bird and trout / sodbuster pattern. have size XL hands and it's almost exactly proportional to my index finger— balance point is at your knuckle, blade tip is where your fingertip would be, and the butt of the handle tucks into your palm. Super fast handling while skinning and caping.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For cutting in joints you probably want thin and narrow from spine to belly. A tough steel would be ideal in a fixed blade to avoid chipping against bone and any torquing motion.

This is a great read.

3v would be the toughest, 4v, M4, Cruwear would be better cutters.

I do the opposite; my fixed blade does most of the work processing. My replaceable blade is used for the exterior cuts, blade swapped and then for any joints.
Very true. I found the S90V of the Altitude to chip out. Unfortunately I need stainless, so the carbon steels are off the table. Waiting for some MagnaCut options, like a CRK Inyoni (if I can ever find one).

wapitibob

WKR
Wonder what happened with the Benchmade Altitude. No longer available. I like mine and the S90V seems to hold an edge very well.