good antelope round

hunting1

WKR
I think 25-06, , 260, 270, 7-08 (I killed my first with this caliber) are about perfect. With that said, I killed the others with the 30-06 and my son took his first last year with a .308. All of mine were killed under 300-yards so at that distance truthfully it doesn't matter what you pick...

Not a western hunter but if was going after goats would take my encore chambered in 25-08" souper". Shoots at close to the speed of the 06 but in a short action chambering. Could never figure out why it never gained enough popularity to be a factory offering....

Trial153

WKR
Been years since I gun hunted, but when I did kill a few lopes I was shooting a .257 Roberts... Used to load 100grain Ballistic tip over 4350, I think it was 42 grains but don't quote me ....

bhylton

WKR
I'm reloading for the Weatherby so the ammo cost won't be to bad. Only downside is it is about impossible to find .25 cal accubonds around here I got one box now and working up the loads this weekend. Shot some cheap factory loads to get it sighted in. I found the recoil to not be much more than my .243. So far I'm happy with it

I have had great luck using ballistic tips of equal weight in place of my accubonds for load development. they shot to the same place with the same velocity. So BTs might be an option for load development if you cant find accubonds.

OP
D

Derek0525

WKR
They don't make the BT in the same weight as the accubonds for .25 cal wich kinda sucks the BT's are 100gr and accubonds are 110

MT Bill

FNG
I had good luck with 100gr Barnes TTSX in my .257Wby. I used them with good luck on antelope, whitetail, muleys, and even a couple of elk. Nosler ballistic tips shot the best out of mine, but they were waaaay too explosive at the velocities the weatherby runs at for big game.

I had good luck with 100gr Barnes TTSX in my .257Wby. I used them with good luck on antelope, whitetail, muleys, and even a couple of elk. Nosler ballistic tips shot the best out of mine, but they were waaaay too explosive at the velocities the weatherby runs at for big game.

This is a big deal too for antelope, because there isn't much meat in the first place. If you ruin some, you won't have many white packages in the freezer. Antelope is some of the finest table fare I've ever had and I hate to lose any of it.

MT Bill

FNG
Agreed, an antelope that's been eating wheat, barley, or alfalfa all summer is right up there with the best elk steak. Maybe even better!

MRidge

FNG
A few years back Sportsman's had a Rem700SS "on sale" - it was just one that was on sale, and after asking what caliber, it came home with me on the spot. .257Bee w/ 26in tube. I worked up a load using the 110 Accubond, then decided it needed pillar bedded into a pepper laminated stock. Needless to say, the Accubond load didn't like the new stock.
I've settled with RL25 & 115VLD's.

While working with different bullets, my wife took a late season cow elk with 115 B-tips at 425 yards. Dropped her in her tracks & I was able to recover a portion of the bullet. Can't remember exactly, but only around a high 40 some grains remained.

I've become a quarter bore fan!

Love the 80ttsx in the 257wby. Killed antelope, oryx etc. Hard to find a round that flat were you can hold hair to 400

Recently I couldn't find 80gr ttsx so did a 180degree turn and went with 115vld. Killed my last pronghorn with it, about 10 WTs, a dozen or two hogs. Good round.

In my 25-06 I use the nosler custom ammo in 100gr partition very effective, killed two prongs with it, and about 15 WT's and no telling how many hogs.

Also killed probably 70 WT and 8 pronghorns with 22-250 in 53 gr tsx. My go to culling rifle.

Last year I grabbed a 6.5 creedmoor do to ammo availability. Very fun easy shooting round. Only killed 4 deer and 9 hogs with it but works very well

Mridge-

I killed him, but he ate the bullets pretty good. I probably got a little impatient and most likely didn't need to shoot the other two times. Looked like a blood bath when I walked up. First two shots looked like might of blown up on impact. My taxi wasn't real happy with me especially since the third shot I shot for high shoulder, and got a little high and pretty much destroyed rear top of cape right at the shoulder top point, but he dropped

I gave a PH doe tag to a kid and he borrowed it later in Dec and it was bang..flop. All the WT are bang flop also.

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
Like I mentioned earlier, I just bought a M77 in 257 Roberts. There was some reading gear and ammo thrown into the deal. I have some already loaded 100r Partitions and 100r BTs ready to take to the range. I am hoping the Partitions are the most accurate, that is what I would like to use in the fall for my 'lope and deer hunts.

How do you all think the 100r BTs would do on Colorado Antelope and Mule Deer? They wouldn't be my first choice but if they are really accurate, I may run those

Like I mentioned earlier, I just bought a M77 in 257 Roberts. There was some reading gear and ammo thrown into the deal. I have some already loaded 100r Partitions and 100r BTs ready to take to the range. I am hoping the Partitions are the most accurate, that is what I would like to use in the fall for my 'lope and deer hunts.

How do you all think the 100r BTs would do on Colorado Antelope and Mule Deer? They wouldn't be my first choice but if they are really accurate, I may run those

At the speeds of the Roberts you will be fine with either the partition or BT.

topher89

WKR
At the speeds of the Roberts you will be fine with either the partition or BT.

Thanks man! I want this gun to be my dedicated deer and antelope rifle for a while. I would be very happy with either bullet, guess I need to hit the range and reloading bench

My preference would be to lean towards the Partition, but the Ballistic Tips will work for you also. I have more faith in the Partitions though. David