golite SL3

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I just pulled the trigger on this. they have a sale now so I got 15% off. Ive been wanting a lite shelter for a while now. I'll be using it for me and sometimes one other person. Probably wont be using the nest that often while hunting and I plan to use my trekking poles instead of the supplied one. hope I dont regret going to the SL5 but I think this will be plenty for me and my daughter.

Slim Jim

WKR
I just bought one myself and I can't wait to use it this summer. There will be plenty of room for you and your daughter. I put mine up yesterday to get a feel for it and I can tell you that there is room for two adults and gear. I will be using just the fly, trekking pole w/ extension jack and a bug bivy when solo and with the nest if hunting with a buddy so he can carry the nest. Here is a pic from yesterday
EBFD2559-C733-4C00-98DF-6CF64F004223-2358-00000185F5EBC6BD_zpsf9564376.jpg

littlebuf

Banned
I just went to look at these on there web site. is it really 4.5 pounds? that doesn't seem real lite. whats just the shelter with out the nest weigh?

Floorguy

WKR
I just went to look at these on there web site. is it really 4.5 pounds? that doesn't seem real lite. whats just the shelter with out the nest weigh?

2 lb 1 oz on their site go to the tech specs page and download the shelter comparison chart it has a breakdown of all of their tents

Slim Jim

WKR

The fly weighs 1 lb 13oz, the pole is 12oz, and the nest is around 2lbs.

When solo with fly, trekking pole extension jack from bearpaw (instead of pole that comes with it) and a Borah bug bivy, it weighs 2lbs 5oz. When hunting with a partner you can split the weight by having your partner carry the nest

littlebuf

Banned
re read your post slim, 2.5 pounds is pretty good. wonder why they have 4.5 listed as trail weight on that page

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You probably could get a single person nest if you so wanted, but might as well go with a bivy at that point. The two person nest wouldn't be very conducive to the SL-3 layout compared to the SL-5. Of course you might be able to have bearpaw design something for ya. But for the SL-3 being as you'll have a person on each side of the pole anyways two Ti Goat bivies will weigh the same or less than a two person nest and be better protection for your bag/pad anyways and give ya a slight extra edge on warmth. Thats atleast how I used the SL-3 when I used it. :D

I used the Sl-3/Ti goat combo in this video on a solo hike:
http://vimeo.com/channels/backpackinggear/45193745

Ray

WKR
Bearpaw makes an SL3 nest that sets up with the pole in the nest. I use it in my SL5 and it stays well away from the edges and has plenty of room for two people and a dog.

I had mine made with 10" sides for a huge bath tub floor for tundra camping.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right but at 24 oz it is only 8 oz lighter than the one it comes with and in an SL-5 it'll eat up a lot of space and really break up the "usable" space outside of the nest in the SL-5. The SL-3 nest isn't that heavy compared to the BPD one. Where you really save the weight is going to a Pyranet 2 or the like which is the same essentailly as two TI Goat bivies. If you can only get two people in a Hex-3 anyways really comfortably I would go with the Pryanet 2 for a much better layout in the SL-5 with everything being on one side of the pole and leaving the rest of the floor plan in the SL-5 floorless. The SL-3 doesn't have the floor design to accomodate a Pyranet 2, so you'd have to go with the 24 oz Hex-mid or just the 32 oz one that comes with the SL-3. Thus why I said the two ti goat bivies at 14 oz total its over a full pound lighter than the GoLite and a over a half pound lighter than the Hexmid-3 nest and would make it so there is essentially no area in the SL-3 where you can crawl in with your boots one and get out of the weather easily, which is the nice part of going floorless in the first place.

Certainly no right way to go about it, but its what I've come up with especially after putting my SL-3 next inside the Sl-5 and saw how it pretty much eliminated how "useable" the floorless area was, it created a lot of wasted space.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Luke I thought I saw a video where you take apart your pole and flip it and stick the point of the other one in it for the center pole. I had black diamond carbon fiber poles, would this be ok with that material.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had carbon poles and it worked for me...but I only did it for 10 days with that setup as they were the ones that only had one adjustable section in fact they were these:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/carbon-probe-ski-pole/

Now I just use el cheapo Black Diamond Aluminum Trail Backs and they seem to work fine for me. So I can't comment how the carbon would work long term but given the 10 days I tried it they worked fine.

I bought 6.5 Titanium stakes for my SL5. For those that have tried this type of stake....is this enough to secure the tent in a "windy" situation?