Golite SL3 dimensions

BuckSnort

WKR
Anyone know the length/width of these shelters? Looking on their website all I can find is the sq.footage...

I believe I read a thread on here that Luke had said the SL5 was 9.5'x9.5'.... Just wondering about the SL3?

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks Luke!.. I'm trying to decide if the extra weight of the SL5 is worth the extra space.. I would like to get one or the other before the fall hunting season.. I will be installing a stove jack and use a small stove when needed.. The shelter will mostly be used as a solo shelter but I like to have plenty of room, especially when the weather keeps me in the tent... Would the SL5 be overkill for a shelter that gets 90% solo use?

I would end up with two different options. One for solo and one for two to three people. My shangri-la 5 shows up tomorrow. It will be used for hunts when I am with my dad. He will be carrying the stove.

sk1

WKR
i just got my SL3, gonna set it up at work tomorrow or friday.....yeah rough life i know, i can setup a tent while at work and not on break

i bought the sl3 for solo hunts, but i need to get it setup quick and see if i feel i have any need for the sl5 before that sale ends

im sure you've probably seen enough pics and whatnot, but ill give you another opinion after i take a look at mine

Bighorse

WKR
There is a place for both tents in someones gear pile. Both are light enough to always have with you. Thats the most important element to both shelters. If you've climbed a hill and the first thing you want to do is deploy your shelter and get it off your back then that limits your hunt. Your then in a situation where your effective range has been reduced. With a mobile light camp using the SL3 and SL5 your hunt time and area are increased. Having a "base camp" is potentially detrimental.
I own both shelters and have used both. I like the SL3 and have used it for single or double man hunts. The SL5 I have hasn't been used but for two people it would be plenty spacious enough to keep you sane should you have to use it more than anticipated.
This August I'll be doing a solo goat hunt with a packraft exit. My SL3 will be in the pack for this hunt. I'll be going into the Chugach after sheep with two others. The SL5 will be in the backpack while roaming around the upper elevations. I've got a Etolin Elk hunt planned for Oct this year. The SL3 is going up the hill as a shelter and meat cache. The SL5 will be at "base camp" near the beach and my boat. On Etolin, I'll aslo carry a really durable waterproof Grid2P up the hill. I wouldn't want to wait out a SE AK October rainstorm in a floorless Tepee on in exposed alpine.
I'm still curious how someone is going to modify a SL5 with a stove jack. I'd love to see photos of that.

swat8888

WKR
I mentioned it in another post, but you can get a bathtub floor installed into a SL3 or SL5 for $55-65 at a increase in weight of 5-7 ounces. They can also make the floor where you can velcro it, in case you'd ever want to take the floor off....although I imagine that would significantly up the ounces. Bearpawdesigns

Bighorse, good plan and post. That makes sense and seems to confirm what I was thinking.

My SL5 is delivered at home and I am stuck here at work. I can't wait to see it. It will be used as our second mobile shelter for a 10 day backpack hunt this fall. We have 4 guys going and will have three tents. I am thinking this one might end up as the cook tent and group gathering spot if we have any significant rain.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thank y'all for the input... This just might end up being a coinflipper of a decision for me.. I can't help but think that the extra room of the SL5 might be worth having during rain and being able to keep myself and gear from any wet areas that form from running down the tent walls (there's a lot of pitch in the soil around here and sometimes water just runs along the surface instead of soaking in)...

Mckinnon

WKR
Bucksnort, I am facing the same decision and just can't decide which one to pull the trigger on. my girlfriend and brother come with me often, but I also solo and cant afford to buy both.... I would love some input as well. ah the terrible decisions we face!

muleman

WKR
I have both the SL3 and the SL5. At 6'2" find the SL3 good for solo use with gear. OK for two adults with some gear. If you are seriously thinking stove the SL5 is the way to go. It is easy to forget that on sloping side walls useable space ends about eight inches above the ground level. Read Henry Shires post in following link. There are some good practical pictures of the SL5 later in the conversation also. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30392

Last edited:
I'd go with the SL-5

Bucksnort,

I have used the SL-5 for a couple of years now, both in the mountains and on the flat and I really like it. It has enough room for two people and their packs inside of the tent, inside of the nest even. If you expect to spend a long period of time in your SL-whatever, AND have a stove and supply of firewood inside as well, then I would suggest the SL-5 instead of the SL-3.

Also, the SL-5 has a 4-sided footprint while the SL-3 has a 6-sided footprint so you have more usable space in the SL-5.

I have the SL-5. I haven't used it yet but I purchased a stove jack for it which will be installed soon. After that I will seam seal it for good measure and then I should be set with a dream set up for 2 guys in the back country in cold weather!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The SL-3 could work for 1 guy and a stove. 2 guys and a stove in the SL-3 forget it. The SL-5 has enough space for a stove, but still don't think I'd want one in there either, but I have a large arsenal of tents to better accomplish that too. If thinking stove carry the extra 5 oz and get the SL-5....you'll be glad you did.

muleman

WKR
Here are some floor space diagrams. IMHO actual livable space is less, especially in a hunting scenario. There is no way I could comfortably sleep five in the SL-5 with a nest. Without the nest it could work.

Attachments

• SL-5 floorplan.jpg
    SL-5 floorplan.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44
  • SL-3 floorplan.jpg
    SL-3 floorplan.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 56