Goldilocks 6mm between 6CM and 6UM?

khuber84

WKR
That’s what I was thinking. Thats been creating an itch I may need to scratch
I'm personally not a fan of Sherman anything, but a short mag with a 1.920 case length(similar to creed) and a neck that's about 0.270 long, 30 degree shoulder, 0.010"/1.000 taper, would hold 65ish grains of powder, be like a short action 240wby.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I think Shawn's 243 Terminator would probably get you there. He gets around 3300 from a 26 so 3000 from a 18 would probably be attainable or damn close to it. Shawn has dies and Lapua formed brass you can buy also which makes things nice and easy.

I looked at the site and maybe I’m just blind, but what case is that cat based off of?

If I was starting from an absolutely blank slate, I would go 6PRC. But I have decided for me, the easiest choice is a 6/284. And thats because:

1) I have a standard boltface Tikka as a donor action already; and
2) I used to shoot a 6.5/284 match rifle, and still have my old loading dies. The FL die is a Redding bushing die and I have plenty of 6mm neck bushings I can use, and the seating die is a Wilson Arbour die, so I just need to change the seating stem to 6mm.

An extra bonus is that I can use Lapua 6.5/284 cases.

I am just debating if I rechamber a low round 6XC barrel I have already, or go to a lighter profile in a new barrel. But otherwise the decisions were pretty easy to work out.

khuber84

WKR
I looked at the site and maybe I’m just blind, but what case is that cat based off of?
243win, and I don't think 3300fps is possible with heavies, maybe running sub 100gr bullets, or the 105 Berger and a case stuffed full of rl26. I know a 6cm topped of with rl26 will do 3250, but it's not very smart to run at top end.

Last edited:

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
If I was starting from an absolutely blank slate, I would go 6PRC. But I have decided for me, the easiest choice is a 6/284. And thats because:

1) I have a standard boltface Tikka as a donor action already; and
2) I used to shoot a 6.5/284 match rifle, and still have my old loading dies. The FL die is a Redding bushing die and I have plenty of 6mm neck bushings I can use, and the seating die is a Wilson Arbour die, so I just need to change the seating stem to 6mm.

An extra bonus is that I can use Lapua 6.5/284 cases.

I am just debating if I rechamber a low round 6XC barrel I have already, or go to a lighter profile in a new barrel. But otherwise the decisions were pretty easy to work out.
I'm considering 25-284 for these same reasons. I like the 25 for the higher wind number and still plenty of speed from a suppressor length barrel.