Go to Power Banks??

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like power bank technology is always changing and improving.
What banks are you guys always carrying with you? I feel like I've gone through multiple brands and models and haven't been overly impressed. I'd like something that's shock proof, can handle large temperature ranges, and is waterproof. My goal is that this would live in my truck for emergencies, and also in my packs when I'm in the woods.

Thanks for the help!

tony

WKR
I get emails from dark energy all the time. Their stuff looks pretty good and weatherproof

But, you can’t go wrong with Anker, I own a lot of their stuff.

Anker hands down in my opinion. I use them all fall backpack hunting and use them all winter powering my thermal scope and scanner.

I used to use anker and still have a few but switched to nitecore, neither have let me down. The nitcore ones are expensive but they were the lightest 10k banks at the time I bought them a couple years ago. Not sure if there is something better/lighter out since then

taskswap

WKR
I'm another Anker fan. At the end of the day 90% of these packs are nothing more than a lithium pack that the manufacturer did NOT make (there are only a few actual battery manufacturers), a bit of control circuitry, and the case. As long as you choose a brand with good battery cells (tons of Youtube teardowns to identify these) and decent charging circuitry, it almost doesn't matter what brand you use.

Personally I like a 5000mAh mini pack for 1-2 day scouts/spike-outs mostly when I'm carrying it just-for-emergencies, and instead of getting the 20,000+ versions, on longer trips I carry one or more 10,000 packs. Everybody's usage is different - I do NOT like rechargeable headlamps so I don't have that draw, but I do always have my cell and sometimes my InReach. You have to do some math and experimentation to find your best fit. But for me, 10,000 is usually good for 2-3 days. So on a 3+ day trip I might bring two of them. Longer trips I might do 3 packs.

This is less efficient because you rarely run a pack down to 0, so a single 20000 is usually better than two 10000's. But things can go wrong with packs - I've had them die outright, had charging cables break off and make their ports unusable (I'm hard on my gear), etc. Not everyone likes older Fords with two gas tanks, either - but I do. It fits me and my style. YMMV.

OP
CjMelendrez

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
I'm another Anker fan. At the end of the day 90% of these packs are nothing more than a lithium pack that the manufacturer did NOT make (there are only a few actual battery manufacturers), a bit of control circuitry, and the case. As long as you choose a brand with good battery cells (tons of Youtube teardowns to identify these) and decent charging circuitry, it almost doesn't matter what brand you use.

Personally I like a 5000mAh mini pack for 1-2 day scouts/spike-outs mostly when I'm carrying it just-for-emergencies, and instead of getting the 20,000+ versions, on longer trips I carry one or more 10,000 packs. Everybody's usage is different - I do NOT like rechargeable headlamps so I don't have that draw, but I do always have my cell and sometimes my InReach. You have to do some math and experimentation to find your best fit. But for me, 10,000 is usually good for 2-3 days. So on a 3+ day trip I might bring two of them. Longer trips I might do 3 packs.

This is less efficient because you rarely run a pack down to 0, so a single 20000 is usually better than two 10000's. But things can go wrong with packs - I've had them die outright, had charging cables break off and make their ports unusable (I'm hard on my gear), etc. Not everyone likes older Fords with two gas tanks, either - but I do. It fits me and my style. YMMV.

Great information! Before i buy something i should go back through what i currently own and see if they will make due. But i have heard good things about Anker products, and it looks like this thread confirms that.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I went to the Nitecore 20&10k, and have had good luck with them. Plus they are lighter then most.

chasewild

WKR
Timely thread. I just bought the Nitecore NB10000 Gen II because of how light it is. Just need to get the phone through 12 days of videoing sheep.

Slugz

WKR
Anker, Anker and Anker.
We tried nearly all and none came close in my experience.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Anker, this was my first purchase. Now I have 2 nitecors as well. The Nitecor banks are the lightest (or they were as of a year ago) and have been very durable. The Anker worked fine but I’m a gram counter