Go-To Clothing

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Agree its probably not the best for tree stand hunting, but dont discount wool—it’s a fantastic outer layer, in some uses there is literally nothing better, just depends on what you are using it for. Modern gear only wishes it was as functional as a wool jack shirt and pants for tracking and still hunting in snowy/frigid northern new england. This is coming from a guy that owns tons of premium modern outerwear of all types.

I think you are completely correct. "Best" for a guy wanting to stay warm in a tree stand near home can be different than "best" for a guy doing a long distance trip for multiple days. I still am not a huge fan of wool outer, but something like a capote made from a wool blanket could be great for some people. Wool works in all conditions, and hold up great. I don't like them so much because they restrict my movement and they don't block wind, which is a big factor in the dakotas. Someone who is often damp in say Maine might love them. It isn't that wool is the problem, I just haven't found anyone who has incorporated it into a jacket how I like. I like a slick liner that allows it to glide a little so I can move around, and I like some wind blocking. I agree modern gear isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's a lot lighter is probably the biggest benefit. A full old school setup of wool and fur coat must be 4 times the weight of modern stuff. I personally don't care that much about the weight, but then again I often carry a 10 gauge for pheasants so I'm the anti-gram weenie.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Picture this:

It’s Nobember 4th and a cold front is hitting, your Wife gave you the “Green Light” to go hunt for 5 days straight. You’re Bowhunting XYZ State.... What clothes are you bringing?

What are YOUR go to Whitetail hunting clothing piece(s)?

Mine:

Sitka Stratus bibs
Stratus vest
Smart wool Socks
Merino gloves
All FORLOH!

Check out American Pipedream for mil surplus wool.

I am starting to use synthetic only for outer/rain layers anymore. I just get clammy in synthetic clothing, especially tops. If I am tree stand hunting and need wind protection I will wear a wind shirt under a wool jacket or sweater. If I am moving a lot, I use to walk a 16 mi mail route. I just wear a sweater over a thin base layer. I have found I stay warm even in the rain and cold and into the lower teens. If it is really cold I will put a thicker wool underlay on and/or down. I am interested in trying some of the newer water resistant downs that are out.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Check out American Pipedream for mil surplus wool.

I am starting to use synthetic only for outer/rain layers anymore. I just get clammy in synthetic clothing, especially tops. If I am tree stand hunting and need wind protection I will wear a wind shirt under a wool jacket or sweater. If I am moving a lot, I use to walk a 16 mi mail route. I just wear a sweater over a thin base layer. I have found I stay warm even in the rain and cold and into the lower teens. If it is really cold I will put a thicker wool underlay on and/or down. I am interested in trying some of the newer water resistant downs that are out.
Cant beat wool. Tractor supply has nice big bill wool pants, I prefer bibs. But I always have a pair of mil surpuls wool glove liners in my fanny pack. Reg pair and fingers cut off, depends on how cold the day really is.

Bootaka

FNG
I spot and stalk in pretty dry weather. I switched up to nearly all wool a few years ago. I got a hold of some 1950s whipcoard pants and cruiser jacket. Paired with some merino base, socks, and a Pendleton. Topped off with a Dobbs from the 1890s. If I want to sit for longer than 30 min in 30°f or less, I have some big Bill's heavy mackinaw and I have an alpaca poncho in my pack.

Sitka stratus bibs and jacket above 40 degrees and Sitka fanatic bibs and jacket for below 40 degrees. Never have to do much layering with those set ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcb2000

WKR
Base layers, wool
Sitka Timberlines: knee pads are great for saddle hunting, and they’re warm.
Fleece mid layer, and a First lite Woodbury jacket I’ve had for years. It’s heavy as hell, but warm.
Hand muff with a few hand warmers thrown in.
Arctic shield boot covers.

Stroudwf

FNG
Sitka stratus bibs and jacket
Fanatic hoody
Beanie
Merino base layer
Smartwool socks
Merino glove liners and stratus gloves

That’s my go-to

WCB

WKR
I think you are completely correct. "Best" for a guy wanting to stay warm in a tree stand near home can be different than "best" for a guy doing a long distance trip for multiple days. I still am not a huge fan of wool outer, but something like a capote made from a wool blanket could be great for some people. Wool works in all conditions, and hold up great. I don't like them so much because they restrict my movement and they don't block wind, which is a big factor in the dakotas. Someone who is often damp in say Maine might love them. It isn't that wool is the problem, I just haven't found anyone who has incorporated it into a jacket how I like. I like a slick liner that allows it to glide a little so I can move around, and I like some wind blocking. I agree modern gear isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's a lot lighter is probably the biggest benefit. A full old school setup of wool and fur coat must be 4 times the weight of modern stuff. I personally don't care that much about the weight, but then again I often carry a 10 gauge for pheasants so I'm the anti-gram weenie.
My dad wears wool late season. He bought the Sitka Incinerator "system" nut majority of the time he is in his wools. Im not sure of the brand but he has hunted mule deer outwest and definatley cant travel with the jacket on but we but 10miles or so in knee deep snow up and down buttes. Not terribly heavy and his breaks the wind. He has spent many late season hunts in the dakotas sitting in a tree with zero issues being cold minus face or hands when getting bow ready to take a shot. I bought some wool (different brand and hate it as it doesnt break the wind so basically pointless).

Filson wool mackinaw
Army issue wool pants
Synthetic thin base layer
Darn Tough wool boot socks
Old Woolrich or Pendleton Wool shirt
Blackovis merino wool gloves

sticktime

FNG
Picture this:

It’s Nobember 4th and a cold front is hitting, your Wife gave you the “Green Light” to go hunt for 5 days straight. You’re Bowhunting XYZ State.... What clothes are you bringing?

What are YOUR go to Whitetail hunting clothing piece(s)?

Mine:

Sitka Stratus bibs
Stratus vest
Smart wool Socks
Merino gloves
Anything below 35 degrees stand hunting...

First light base, mid and sanctuary jacket
Merino long John's and a light outer pant, either kuiu attack or FL Merino, and then sanctuary bibs.
Arctic shield boot covers
Merino beanie and mask.

First light Merino is more comfortable against the skin than kuiu imo.

I walk in with just the base layers, everything else compresses into my pack. And I get dressed after the long walk and accent.

Dry(no sweat) = long comfortable sit

My current setup, works pretty well for GA November/December weather.

- First Lite Kiln baselayer bottoms
- First Lite Kiln crew baselayer top
- First Lite talus merino gloves
- Darn Tough heavyweight boot socks
- Under Armour forest 1.0 1/4 zip fleece pullover
- Mountain Hardwear down puffy
- Under Armour Grit jacket
- Under Armour Grit bib pants

Would first lite bibs be a little better? Yep, but the Under Armour stuff is cheap on ebay and holds up pretty well for treestand stuff.

Wolfshead

FNG
As of the last couple of years I’ve become a wool guy.
I wear merino wool first layers from Kuiu.
then on top I have a Pendleton wool button up shirt, and a Johnson wool Jac shirt.
I wear Big Bills wool hunting pants on the bottom.
Wool is quiet and warm. It’s the most comfortable I’ve been since I’ve been hunting.
When it’s really cold, and I’m sitting in the stand, I’ll wear what I’ve listed and then put on my bibs and parka over that.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
FL Wick LS
Sitka Fanatic Hoody
Sitka Stratus Jacket
Sitka Fanatic Vest
FL Kiln Long Johns
Sitka Stratus Bibs
Artic Shield Boot insulators
Sitka Fanatic gloves

If its really cold I will use an Eddie Bauer down jacket under the stratus and/or replace the stratus bibs with fanatic bibs. The boot insulators are worth their weight in gold, I use them with uninsulated boots and my feet are always warm.