GMU 80 COLORADO ELK

How's it going everybody! I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but i couldn't find one maybe this will be the first. I am starting this to get information on how the unit was last year since it is draw only. If you all seen a increase of people or decrease. And same for difference in Elk pressure. I am hoping to draw this unit and never hunted it before. So any information at all about the unit would be Awesome!

OP
T
Also would like to add, I plan to start my hunt there a little later like Second and third week, how do you veterans of 80 feel about that? I understand muzzleloader is in that time so does that make a huge difference in that unit? Again, thank you all for any info!

OP
T
Failed to mention that this will be for archery season, my apologies
How's it going everybody! I apologize if there is already a thread on this, but i couldn't find one maybe this will be the first. I am starting this to get information on how the unit was last year since it is draw only. If you all seen a increase of people or decrease. And same for difference in Elk pressure. I am hoping to draw this unit and never hunted it before. So any information at all about the unit would be Awesome!

Looks like you already found the other thread.
The only way you're going to find out ANYTHING is to go scout and hunt it in person. The days of naïve well-wishers handing out free information online is over.

Honestly it's only been limited for a year and they gave tags to everybody that wanted them and still had left overs. Pressure was roughly the same as it has always been. I understand that the plan is to give progressively less tags as time goes on until they reach an adequate quota still unknown what that number will be. That being said I lived there for 35 years and guided hunters there for 15 there are elk in them woods. My brother and my son both killed archery bulls and it's always been the best hunt. I would avoid rifle season at all costs there it's just to crowded and not worth it. If you do hunt it be prepared to kill the first legal bull you see because it's an opportunity unit and doesn't have the age class or genetics to produce big bulls maybe in 10 years with good management but not at this time. There's a ton of access and your not going to be able to get deep and away from anybody but scout it hard and find good spots a-z and work down the list.

Sapcut

WKR
If you do hunt it be prepared to kill the first legal bull you see because it's an opportunity unit and doesn't have the age class or genetics to produce big bulls maybe in 10 years with good management but not at this time.
You reckon there is no older age classes for big bulls because the first legal bull is taken.?

Loo.wii

WKR
From chat gpt

Colorado elk unit 80 is a hunting unit located in the central region of the state of Colorado, in the United States. It covers an area of approximately 331,040 acres, and it is located in the Rocky Mountains.
Unit 80 is considered a limited draw unit, which means that hunters need to apply for a license through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department. The unit is known for its high population of elk, and it is a popular destination for hunters looking to bag a trophy bull elk.
The terrain in unit 80 is rugged and varies in elevation from around 8,000 feet to over 12,000 feet. The unit is characterized by dense forests, steep canyons, and high alpine meadows. The elk in unit 80 are known to frequent these areas, and hunters can expect to encounter both bull and cow elk throughout the hunting season.
It is important for hunters to familiarize themselves with the specific regulations and restrictions that apply to unit 80, including hunting dates, bag limits, and weapon restrictions. It is also recommended that hunters hire a local guide or outfitter who is familiar with the area and can help them navigate the challenging terrain.
Overall, Colorado elk unit 80 is a challenging and rewarding hunting destination for those looking to pursue elk in a beautiful and remote wilderness setting.

OP
T
Honestly it's only been limited for a year and they gave tags to everybody that wanted them and still had left overs. Pressure was roughly the same as it has always been. I understand that the plan is to give progressively less tags as time goes on until they reach an adequate quota still unknown what that number will be. That being said I lived there for 35 years and guided hunters there for 15 there are elk in them woods. My brother and my son both killed archery bulls and it's always been the best hunt. I would avoid rifle season at all costs there it's just to crowded and not worth it. If you do hunt it be prepared to kill the first legal bull you see because it's an opportunity unit and doesn't have the age class or genetics to produce big bulls maybe in 10 years with good management but not at this time. There's a ton of access and your not going to be able to get deep and away from anybody but scout it hard and find good spots a-z and work down the list.
Thank you much! Exactly what I was looking for as far as people population in there!