Gloves Question

Hey guys,
Headed to Kodiak in Nov for blacktail archery/rifle. Looking for a glove that will handle Kodiak as best as possible (rain/snow/brush etc). Will not be wearing for a shot obviously. I may be way overthinking but there are so many dang options that I'm pretty sure I am going paralysis by analysis. The gloves that have jumped out to me are the OR Alpinite Glove (https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/shop-by-activity/alpinite-gore-tex-glove-300011#size-chart) or the altimeter glove/graupel combo from SG (https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/gloves). I know the SG gloves are new and probably not a lot of experience with them out there but SG seems to make pretty durable goods. Anyone have any ideas for gloves/Kodiak? Thanks in advance!

Mcnasty

FNG
I have not been to Kodiak but have done a lot of winter climbing and mountaineering in varied conditions and have been through lots of glove systems. For what its worth...in moderately cold & dry (most of Colorado) I like an insulated mitt that folds back at the fingers, heavy fleece or wool. For wet and or alpine conditions a modular system of shell and liner works better for me than a single glove/mitt. For me single systems always sweat out from the inside even if they are not wet from rain snow etc and then get cold. for the modular system similar to the stone glacier you linked, I always carry an extra pair of liners that I keep in my jacket so they are warm and dry for swap out when needed. Another option depending on temps is a fleece or other internal glove with a over mitt or lobster shell that can easily be pulled off for shooting this is typically much warmer than a glove. In addition to OR, Black diamond equipment and Marmot all make very good gloves in a variety of warmth and dexterities. You may also find a deal out there this time of year at one of the more mountaineering sites like steep and cheep or Back country.com.

OP
I have not been to Kodiak but have done a lot of winter climbing and mountaineering in varied conditions and have been through lots of glove systems. For what its worth...in moderately cold & dry (most of Colorado) I like an insulated mitt that folds back at the fingers, heavy fleece or wool. For wet and or alpine conditions a modular system of shell and liner works better for me than a single glove/mitt. For me single systems always sweat out from the inside even if they are not wet from rain snow etc and then get cold. for the modular system similar to the stone glacier you linked, I always carry an extra pair of liners that I keep in my jacket so they are warm and dry for swap out when needed. Another option depending on temps is a fleece or other internal glove with a over mitt or lobster shell that can easily be pulled off for shooting this is typically much warmer than a glove. In addition to OR, Black diamond equipment and Marmot all make very good gloves in a variety of warmth and dexterities. You may also find a deal out there this time of year at one of the more mountaineering sites like steep and cheep or Back country.com.

You bring up some great points. Thank you for sharing. I love your idea of a second pair of liners. As a primarily september bowhunter, I would have not thought about that. Just looked at the BD Guide Glove https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/guide-gloves/ and it looks great too.

I've got a pair of the sitka vortex mountain gloves. They are ergonomically formed to be more comfortable and practical. I've found them to be really weatherproof and warm for their weight and not bulky at all.

yfarm

WKR
oversized Atlas fishing gloves with liner gloves underneath or these https://gemplers.com/products/sugar-river-lined-double-coated-gloves
double thick fleece with waterproof coating over the entire glove. Inexpensive carry an extra pr when condensation builds up. Another option are Joka mitts or gloves.
My Oct elk hunt had freezing rain and snow daily, was wringing out uncoated fleece gloves during the day. Gore tex gloves got wet inside and never dried out over the week, leather would dry partially on the wood stove and rewet within 2 hrs every morning.

Browning made a glove called the "Gunner Glove." These gloves have a cuff about 6 inches long. They were pretty expensive at retailers but can still be found on Ebay at some very good prices. They are waterproof but have excellent dexterity. The only downside is they are in a mossy oak waterfowl camo pattern. I own many gloves including outdoor research and almost always go back to my gunner gloves.