Glock red dot.

kad11

WKR
RMR, most of them are cc’s.
What would you recommend to someone wanting to start concealed carrying? Gun, holster, weapon light, training program (online, in-person, YouTube , etc.) to move towards basic proficiency in real-world applicable skills? How would you allocate time and funds to get there?

I have more than a few thousand rounds of 9mm waiting, but don't know where to go from there...

I took your advice on Tikka, Swfa, and the 100-yd timed rifle drill a few years ago and it has helped a ton. Do you have a similar, straightforward approach to pistol and specifically CCW?

Thanks

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What would you recommend to someone wanting to start concealed carrying? Gun, holster, weapon light, training program (online, in-person, YouTube , etc.) to move towards basic proficiency in real-world applicable skills? How would you allocate time and funds to get there?

I have more than a few thousand rounds of 9mm waiting, but don't know where to go from there...

I took your advice on Tikka, Swfa, and the 100-yd timed rifle drill a few years ago and it has helped a ton. Do you have a similar, straightforward approach to pistol and specifically CCW?

Thanks

PM me.

NSI

WKR

Thanks
Buy a pistol which fits your hand well. Anything you find in a store these days will be reliable. If it fits your hand well, there's a better chance you'll accomplish the primary challenge of pistol shooting -recoil control. Purchase a holster in the style that best fits your use - daily carry (IWB or AIWB), overt (OWB), tactical (modular OWB) etc. There is a good chance you will not like this holster. That is OK, there's no way for you to predict what you'll like now. Also, great news - a red dot sight is not federally mandated.

Then, without modifying the sights, trigger, or anything else, go take an excellent multi-day pistol 1 class. These are available from a long list of excellent providers. Start with BAER solutions, KAGwerks, Haley Strategic, Tactical Hyve, Bruiser Industries, Ridgeline Defense, and Costa Ludus.

After your class you'll have a much clearer idea on how to proceed broadly.

-J

Flyrodr

FNG
I have a Glock 19 MOS and I’m finally looking at making the jump to actually putting some type of red dot system on it. Is the RMR type 2 still be the most recommended.
What have you guys used, what do you like?

Next question has anybody put a red dot on a Glock 26 or 27?
Agree with posters who noted that open emitter red dots are going to quickly become historical footnotes. Also mentioned were red dots that require removal to change batteries - - - a royal pain. Too much experience with both those issues to go that way.

No personal experience, but Aimpoint's P2 is considered the tough nut of red dots. Holosun is becoming very popular with all its designs (battery access, enclosed emitters, window size, etc.)

(Hoping I transcribed numbers correctly): The P2 is a chunk. 1.9" x 1.3" x 1.2", weighing 2.1 oz w/o a mounting base. The window size is 0.63" x 0.63"

The Holosun EPS is 1.62" x 1.07" x 0.95", weighing 1.0 oz (not stating, but presumably w/o base). The window size is 0.58" x 0.77"

List prices: $599 for P2, and $390 for EPS.

I'd suggest putting them side-by-side to compare sizes, hefting them to compare weights, look through the windows (preferably mounted on pistols), and decide if the durability issue tops all other issues for your usage. Presumably you'll have backup irons either way. And look at warranty turnaround.

To the question of a dot on a G26, I just mounted one on a G26.5 MOS. Sighted it in at 25 yds. Two user-induced "flyers", one in 8, one in 7; rest in the black. For my eyes, a decent group. Couldn't do that with irons.

Oh yes, I used the EPS w/ 6 MOA red dot.

Final note. If this is your first red dot, watch several videos on how to install. Basically degrease everything, make sure screws are correct size (and not too long), use blue Loctite (242 or 243), let it cure the recommended 24 hours before using, torque screws to proper spec. Put witness marks on screw heads and optic body so you can see if screws loosen. And, yes, I can personally share what happens when you don't do each step correctly.

Enjoy. There's good reason so many people are jumping onto red dots for handguns.

Attachments

• G26.5 MOS @25 10-25-23xs.jpg
    G26.5 MOS @25 10-25-23xs.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
Glockster26
Finally got a Aimpoint acro and have a few rounds down range with it. Really like it so far.
I left the factory sights on and they are to low for any co witness, I knew this was going to happen.
What sights are you guys using for some co witness? I would prefer a very basic black rear/black front sight.

Glock 19 mos- Aimpoint adapter plate and the Acro if that matters.

Finally got a Aimpoint acro and have a few rounds down range with it. Really like it so far.
I left the factory sights on and they are to low for any co witness, I knew this was going to happen.
What sights are you guys using for some co witness? I would prefer a very basic black rear/black front sight.

Glock 19 mos- Aimpoint adapter plate and the Acro if that matters.
Good choice.

i have Dawson sights on my glocks mostly for those night running night sights.

For absolute co witness, you need a Rear Iron Sight is .395" and a Front Iron Sight is .390"

for lower 1/3 (which I like) Rear Iron Sight is .325 Front Iron Sight is .315

you are gonna need a glock front sight wrench and a sight pusher for the rear sight.

I just started to use a red dot on a pistol, I have a G45/ACRO P2 combo. So far it isn’t bad, but I also don’t have anything to compare it to as this is my first set up. Initially zeroed at 10yds and it is almost unfair how fast you can shoot these pistols, even out to 50yds.

OP
Glockster26
I just started to use a red dot on a pistol, I have a G45/ACRO P2 combo. So far it isn’t bad, but I also don’t have anything to compare it to as this is my first set up. Initially zeroed at 10yds and it is almost unfair how fast you can shoot these pistols, even out to 50yds.
Agree, red dots on pistols are absolute game changer. Not that I shoot it this far a lot, but went out to 75 yards and ran a couple mags through it was just a really impressed.