Glock Model 40 10mm

Jrrrrr

FNG
Owners of Glock Model 40 10mm
How do you like it?
How is Accuracy?
Thank you

It’s a lot of fun, and great for multiple applications. With a solid rest, good conditions, and some practice I feel comfortable taking a broadside shot on a whitetail out to 50yds with stock sights. I’ve only had the opportunity at 15 yards so far.

The two biggest drawbacks are the price of ammo and size (which is also one of its strengths). Certainly seems like the 29 or 20 would be more convenient if you’re carrying a 10mm regularly. I’m not, but I’m glad to have this available anytime I’m venturing into the mountains anywhere north of Colorado.

570E748D-9CC0-484C-BF52-68F748906329.jpeg

If its for bear defense look at the 29. Shorter barrel draw faster, mine is just as accurate as the 20 and 40’s I have shot.

The advantage of the longer barrel is not accuracy. It's velocity. The Glock 29 is a handy pistol, but with that barrel length you might as well carry a 40 S&W. The Glock 40 will launch the bullets significantly faster.

The advantage of the longer barrel is not accuracy. It's velocity. The Glock 29 is a handy pistol, but with that barrel length you might as well carry a 40 S&W. The Glock 40 will launch the bullets significantly faster.
Its just not a true statement. Several online tests have shown you don’t lose a material amount of velocity going from a 20 to a 29. Maybe on average 50 fps. Really depends a lot on the ammo. I also have a 23. My 29 velocity is significantly higher than my 23.

Here is one, there are more:

Its just not a true statement. Several online tests have shown you don’t lose a material amount of velocity going from a 20 to a 29. Maybe on average 50 fps. Really depends a lot on the ammo. I also have a 23. My 29 velocity is significantly higher than my 23.

Here is one, there are more:

You are mistaken. I have tested this myself using my GP100 in 10mm with a 3" barrel and my Glock 20.

Love it.

It is more accurate than I am.

Very controllable and comfortable to shoot.

Loved the factory sights.

Just getting used to the Burris Fastfire III

You are mistaken. I have tested this myself using my GP100 in 10mm with a 3" barrel and my Glock 20.
I don’t think I am mistaken…lol. Lots of data to back me up on this. Maybe your GP100 has a slow barrel, I am talking about a glock 29 with an oem glock barrel.

MattB

WKR
Have you tested a G20 versus a G29? From everything I have read you will lose 150-200 fps from a G20 to G29 due to barrel length (depending on the specific load). https://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/43893-glock-29-velocity/

The listed velocity difference between Underwood 200 gr. loads in 10mm and .40 is 250 fps.

250>150-200

Your comparison between a pistol and a revolver may lead to an invalid conclusion.

I don’t think I am mistaken…lol. Lots of data to back me up on this. Maybe your GP100 has a slow barrel, I am talking about a glock 29 with an oem glock barrel.

I realize part of the culture of this forum is that short barrels are better but I have done testing with a number of different cartridges in a number of different platforms, and there is a price to be paid.

I have some Underwood 10mm hard cast, and next time I get to the range I'll run it against my LabRadar and post the results. I do not own a G29 at this time as I have no use for one, but I'll take your word for it if you go shoot yours against a chronograph or RADAR with hot ammo.

Also, I'd be happy to set up and host a full on test with all three Glock models if anyone would care to participate. My prior experience of 20 years of reloading and testing loads strongly suggests how it will come out. I'll buy dinner if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I realize part of the culture of this forum is that short barrels are better but I have done testing with a number of different cartridges in a number of different platforms, and there is a price to be paid.

I have some Underwood 10mm hard cast, and next time I get to the range I'll run it against my LabRadar and post the results. I do not own a G29 at this time as I have no use for one, but I'll take your word for it if you go shoot yours against a chronograph or RADAR with hot ammo.

Also, I'd be happy to set up and host a full on test with all three Glock models if anyone would care to participate. My prior experience of 20 years of reloading and testing loads strongly suggests how it will come out. I'll buy dinner if I am wrong.
Guys have already done what you want to do. I am guessing you haven’t googled it or read the article I linked.

There are benefits to a shorter barreled handgun. Faster draws, lighter, easier to carry etc. Where I am only giving up 40-50 fps to a glock 20, its a no brainer. I don’t hunt with my 29 - its for bear defense only. If I was hunting with it, i would opt for a G40.

Last edited:
Love mine, carry it in a guides choice chest rig anytime I'm in the woods. The chest rig keeps it from interfering with my climber like my EDC would. It is more accurate than I am, but I can keep all 15 on a paper plate at 50 yards with the Vortex red dot. Bought it and have mostly used it for hogs..but these two presented themselves bobcat.jpgg40deer.jpg

Guys have already done what you want to do. I am guessing you haven’t googled it or read the article I linked.

There are benefits to a shorter barreled handgun. Faster draws, lighter, easier to carry etc. Where I am only giving up 40-50 fps to a glock 20, its a no brainer. I don’t hunt with my 29 - its for bear defense only. If I was hunting with it, i would opt for a G40.

In 20 years of reloading and load testing, I have learned not to trust data from the Internet. I remain willing to conduct a witnessed test with known good equipment. If you like your G29 great. I do not care what you choose to carry. If you are talking black bears, it probably won't matter anyway.

You can have the last word.

###

I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack. To put it back on track, I do not own a Glock 40. I have actually been looking for one at a good price, and will likely buy when the opportunity arises. A friend of mine, who is a 10mm fiend and owns many, think it is the hotness.

When I am in brown bear country, I leave the 10mm at home and carry a wheel gun in either .44 Mag or .454 Casull. On a recent trip to Yellowstone, where we saw two brown bears, I carried a 4" S&W 629 loaded with 300 grain hard cast hand loads that leave the muzzle just over 1000 fps.

That would be wrong. I invited you and anyone else to come stand beside me and read the resutls from the chronograph. But when called out, you dodged.
Lets meet up - I am down in TN. Headed to AK next week for a moose hunt, but will be around later in the year. You keep brining up your 20 years of reloading like that adds credibility. My 15 yr old has been reloading for 14 yrs, everybody on this site reloads, nobody cares about your 20 yrs of reloading…

Lets meet up - I am down in TN. Headed to AK next week for a moose hunt, but will be around later in the year. You keep brining up your 20 years of reloading like that adds credibility. My 15 yr old has been reloading for 14 yrs, everybody on this site reloads, nobody cares about your 20 yrs of reloading…

If you don't think experience matters, that is up to you. I own a house in East TN and will be there the week before Christmas. Got a range or gun club in mind? I'll bring the chrono.