Glock 20SF setup

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Picking up my Glock 20SF on Friday after waiting my California 10 days and looking for info from those that use this weapon as a backcountry backup.

I know I'll be shooting rounds around 200 grains. Looking at the Underwood and Buffalo Bore rounds. I've purchased a Wolff 22lb recoil spring, but wondering what other mods you all suggest to make the weapon more appropriate.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I installed a TLR-1 HL on mine last week. No chance yet to use it, but I figured being able to see what you are shooting at is a good thing.

Eddie

P.S. Just reread your post and that light might not fit your 20SF.

Rob5589

WKR
Picking up my Glock 20SF on Friday after waiting my California 10 days and looking for info from those that use this weapon as a backcountry backup.

I know I'll be shooting rounds around 200 grains. Looking at the Underwood and Buffalo Bore rounds. I've purchased a Wolff 22lb recoil spring, but wondering what other mods you all suggest to make the weapon more appropriate.
Finding ammo will be your biggest hurdle. I haven't done a thing to mine, still running the plastic sights even. I do plan on some new sights, maybe a light, but that's it. There's a great thread on G20 mods in this section. Been a while so look back about a year or so.

OP
C

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
I installed a TLR-1 HL on mine last week. No chance yet to use it, but I figured being able to see what you are shooting at is a good thing.

Eddie

P.S. Just reread your post and that light might not fit your 20SF.
I've been looking at the Surefire X-300 and a Holosun 507K X2. Seeing at dark might be important and I'm used to a red dot/Eotech from my military days.

DavePwns

WKR

Congrats on finding one, its been very difficult for me to find any G20sf in stock! Will the 22lb recoil spring cause any issues shooting lower grain practice ammo?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I never use those extra power springs, I never saw the point. If I only shot really warm Ammo, sure. But 99% of what really get shot is practice Ammo then it get carried with some Underwood or Buffalo bore.

Totoro

WKR
Congrats on the 20SF, it is a handful but stoked with 200gr Underwood XTP's and your GTG.

It's KISS rig for me, gotta go bang every single time.

So I kept the mods simple and CCW friendly.

-Heinie Straight 8 night sites with .140 rear notch and .120 blade and regulated for Underwood 200 XTP
-Ghost 3.5 disconnector and trigger polish
-20lb ISMI flat spring with captured tungsten rod
-Strike Industries shock buffer

As a side bar, I don't know why but with the 20lb ISMI flat spring, tungsten rod and shock buffer the pistol recoil does seem "softer" compared to the factory recoil spring set up and no shock buff.

Front site does stay in line for me better with that set up.

So far, in both my 20SF I got north of 10K rounds with no FTF or FTE.

One thing for sure, if you haven't shot a 10mm be prepared for that sh*t eating grin!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I just measured the slide length on my G20 and it's 7.60" which is also the same slide length as the 20SF so I'm fairly certain the TLR-1 HL will fit your G20 if that interests you.

Good luck,

Eddie

I got mine milled for an RMR and installed Trijicon suppressor height sights to cowitness. I’ve kept the internals all stock and shoot the Buffalo Bore 220gr hard cast out of it. The stock recoil spring is fine and recoil is nothing compared to the 454 Casull that I had prior to the Glock 20! Good luck!

23B2AD63-8BD5-4290-8BA3-C37F66B15246.jpeg

Some will say you need to replace that factory barrel to shoot lead. For a low round count gun, I doubt it matters. If you plan on shooting a lot, you may think about a 40 cal barrel to save ammo costs. A light (stream light is cheaper or go surefire for top of the line) and a decent set of night sights (I like ameriglo operators or TriJicon HD with an orange outline).

FWIW all my glocks for the last +25 years have been super reliable, with the exception of the ones I have tweaked internally. Be thoughtful about mods and make sure you put 200-300 rounds through the configuration to confirm function.

McD18

FNG
I'd be weary of messing with a duty weapon, which to me that's what a Glock 20 is - that thing's gotta go bang every time you pull it out. Not to say it can't be reliable after some tasteful modifications, just shoot the shit out of it before you need to rely on it. Surefire pistol lights are the best out there, again, it's gotta work every time.

As for the RDS, check out the new Primary Arms ACSS Vulcan (Holosun 507C-X2). Their new reticle looks incredible and I think the cliche game changer is appropriate. I just got one but haven't had a chance to mount it (need to mill my slide).

BjornF16

WKR
Some will say you need to replace that factory barrel to shoot lead. For a low round count gun, I doubt it matters. If you plan on shooting a lot, you may think about a 40 cal barrel to save ammo costs. A light (stream light is cheaper or go surefire for top of the line) and a decent set of night sights (I like ameriglo operators or TriJicon HD with an orange outline).

FWIW all my glocks for the last +25 years have been super reliable, with the exception of the ones I have tweaked internally. Be thoughtful about mods and make sure you put 200-300 rounds through the configuration to confirm function.

Hard cast does not pose a problem with Glock barrels...I've shot Buffalo Bore with no issues.

You can read on Buffalo Bore's website about the differences between soft lead and hard cast bullets.

Edit: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59

Last edited:
Hard cast does not pose a problem with Glock barrels...I've shot Buffalo Bore with no issues.

You can read on Buffalo Bore's website about the differences between soft lead and hard cast bullets.

Edit: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59
I don’t doubt that Buffalo bore would take this position. I have also read some pretty smart stuff from people that describe the problem that lead creates in Glock rifling and based on the Geometry and tolerances of the chamber and throat of stock barrels. Lead fouling is one issue and apparently hard cast bullets create issues with deformation and allowing more gasses to enter the throat of the barrel ahead of the projectile.

I am not smart enough to say. I think a high BH round like Buffalo bore is less likely to be an issue. I also think that a 10mm is not going to be a high round count gun for most people and I think it would take a few thousand rounds for lead to cause an issue.

to bring this back to the OPs post, some people swap their stock barrel for aftermarkets like KKM. I did. However, for the reasons you state and per the Buffalo bore post, I doubt it will be a problem.

Rob5589

WKR
I'd be weary of messing with a duty weapon, which to me that's what a Glock 20 is - that thing's gotta go bang every time you pull it out. Not to say it can't be reliable after some tasteful modifications, just shoot the shit out of it before you need to rely on it. Surefire pistol lights are the best out there, again, it's gotta work every time.

As for the RDS, check out the new Primary Arms ACSS Vulcan (Holosun 507C-X2). Their new reticle looks incredible and I think the cliche game changer is appropriate. I just got one but haven't had a chance to mount it (need to mill my slide).

Shoot me a PM, or post here, with some follow up after some use. I'm considering milling mine and using a rds.