Glock 20 modifications for backcountry carry

Looks like I will leave the trigger alone and modify the sights and barrel if I end up going this route for sure. Probably the guide rod and spring too.

Does the 10mm gain a lot by going to a 6” barrel? The KKM seemed to be a drop in with the longer barrel? I know my 357’s sure benefit from more barrel

Thanks everyone for the replies.
You know why Glock says not to shoot hard cast lead? Because people forget to clean the barrel.

You ain’t shooting thousands of rounds of hardcast bear loads. You will be fine.

If you do want to change the barrel, drop a 6” Kkm or stormlake.

My modifications to my gen4 g20 was to have it milled and added a rmr with suppresor height night sights. I use the blacked out rear and big dot ameriglo sights ($80ish).

My g29 just had fiber optic front sight added. And I use x-grips with g20 mags.

My holster is a local company called quicklock holsters for a kydex chest rig. I’m having another local company called GS Holsters to make another chest rig without the weapon mounted light.

I didn’t mess with the trigger and if I was to start all over, only change I’d make to it, would be night sights.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
My gunsmith is bringing my G20 back this weekend and says he has it fixed. He shot the ammo I sent with it without an issue but didn't ever find more hardcast to put through it locally. I will shoot it once I get it back and see how it does. I have a 20rd box of Double Tap 230gr and a 50rd box of Double Tap 200gr, plus 20 rounds of Underwood 200gr. If it feeds all that without an issue I will start to trust it again.

He said he polished the feed ramp and still had issues. After that didn't work he polished all the internals, especially the trigger connecting rod. After that it fed fine for him. No changing of any trigger parts from stock, just polishing the stock stuff. It dropped the trigger pull from 8.5lbs to 5.5lbs also he said. He installed the tritium sights after he got it working too.

I will get it shot as soon as I can. My gunsmith moved to Texas this year so I only get stuff dropped off and brought back when he is visiting his family around here. Hopefully I can find some evenings next week to get the gun tested for accuracy and reliability with the cast ammo.

Thanks for everyone who contributed on here, and I will post again after I get the 90 rounds of hardcast I have on hand shot up.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Well so far so good!

I just got in from shooting 30 rounds of hardcast through the G20 that has frustrated me so. It ran fine. I shot 15 rounds of 200gr Underwood hardcast, the ammo that worked the poorest before, and then 15 rounds of 200gr Double Tap hardcast. That's at least 46 rounds without a failure counting what the gunsmith shot after working it over. I think stoning the internals may have made the difference and got whatever was causing the feeding issue fixed. We both ran the factory mag and the 22lb recoil spring with the KKM barrel.

Accuracy was very good, especially with the Underwood 200gr ammo. 20 yard 5 shot groups were under 2.5", centered horizontally, and about 2.5" high. The Double Tap was good also with the exception of 2 fliers that were my fault I think, but hit an inch or two more to the right. First shots I've fired through a striker fired gun in a while and I think I pushed the gun down on those first couple. The next 28 shots I was very happy with.

I am very happy about this, I will shoot more as I get time and post back if I have more trouble. As of now I think we finally have a solution. The Truglo TFX Pro tritium + fiber optic sights I had him install look great too. I told him to install the sights I had purchased for it IF he got it to feed reliably. The G20 project is finally looking up.

It needs more rounds through it before I trust it still, but it's looking good at this point.

LaHunter

WKR
Well so far so good!

I just got in from shooting 30 rounds of hardcast through the G20 that has frustrated me so. It ran fine. I shot 15 rounds of 200gr Underwood hardcast, the ammo that worked the poorest before, and then 15 rounds of 200gr Double Tap hardcast. That's at least 46 rounds without a failure counting what the gunsmith shot after working it over. I think stoning the internals may have made the difference and got whatever was causing the feeding issue fixed. We both ran the factory mag and the 22lb recoil spring with the KKM barrel.

Accuracy was very good, especially with the Underwood 200gr ammo. 20 yard 5 shot groups were under 2.5", centered horizontally, and about 2.5" high. The Double Tap was good also with the exception of 2 fliers that were my fault I think, but hit an inch or two more to the right. First shots I've fired through a striker fired gun in a while and I think I pushed the gun down on those first couple. The next 28 shots I was very happy with.

I am very happy about this, I will shoot more as I get time and post back if I have more trouble. As of now I think we finally have a solution. The Truglo TFX Pro tritium + fiber optic sights I had him install look great too. I told him to install the sights I had purchased for it IF he got it to feed reliably. The G20 project is finally looking up.

It needs more rounds through it before I trust it still, but it's looking good at this point.
Glad to hear the 'project' is going in the right direction!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Well so far so good!

This is great news!!!!
Also seems like it was an "easy" fix.

Shraggs

WKR
Mcseal so glad she’s running well!

My G20sf. Gen 3, changed connector only - stock barrel and springs. One clip of BB HC no issues today. 112972More to run for the HC. I love XS sight picture especially lower light and I have a laser max for middle of night bears!

PredatorX

WKR
No streamlight? I put a TLR1 on mine and while it adds some bulk and weight I wouldn't be without it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
For me hunting no, home gun yes.

I sleep with my headlamp on anyway. More important for me is holstering. I like my shoulder carry and a light is no go.

Yes, midwestern 57 yr old - weight Winnie!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I had my Razco holsters made to fit the TLR1 I figure the 4oz is worth it. I like the light attached to the gun.

Darting

FNG
Good set of night sights is all you need. Make sure the round your using is reliable.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Good set of night sights is all you need. Make sure the round your using is reliable.

Unless you are carrying another flashlight at the same time you are carrying your pistol, I disagree. I personally don't like to discharge a firearm without identifying the tgt. Night sights only do so much. But if you can't identify what you're shooting at, then it's indiscriminate. A good weapon light on a handgun is worth it's weight.

Darting

FNG
Unless you are carrying another flashlight at the same time you are carrying your pistol, I disagree. I personally don't like to discharge a firearm without identifying the tgt. Night sights only do so much. But if you can't identify what you're shooting at, then it's indiscriminate. A good weapon light on a handgun is worth it's weight.

I assumed he had a flash light. Night sights are more to replace the cheap plastic Glock sights. Also I don’t do much night hunting so I don’t run a weapon light on my Glock due to weight and holster options and size. With proper technique a hand held light is more than adequate. Also when you’re identifying the target your not pointing a gun at it. Identify with the gun in the ready position.

PredatorX

WKR
I don't do night hunting either but I do know what likes to hunt at night. For that I want to be able to acquire and identify my target in one movement. That means on a trail or in a shelter. Have no issues flagging anybody with my glock 20 at night in the backcountry if I don't see a light shinning back and they creep up on me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
A few thoughts on weapon mounted lights(WML).

In the event of an emergency the likelihood of an injury to an arm is high. Having a WML would allow for the use of the pistol to identify a threat with a single hand. Likewise, if offering assistance to an injured companion the use of an independent light would be difficult while a WML would offer a usable tool.

Additionally, while using a WML to identify a threat may be less than ideal, if used properly it can still be done safely. Choosing a light with sufficient output allows for the light to be pointed at the ground and light broadcast out from that point.

For holsters I have used both Raven and Safariland. Excellent products with several levels of retention depending on your needs.